Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 68k development - components, critics, bugs, work-arounds, tips&tricks  (Read 46713 times)

Description:

Offline CMTX

Hello :) I am a happy os 3.1.4 user/customer. I think it is good stuff and improves over the old 3.1 in key areas. Looking forward to version 3.2!

With that said, there is one thing that bugs me when using this or any other flavour of classic amiga OS; the inability to use dual monitors with ecs/aga and a graphics card. When an rtg screen gets atention the ecs/aga screen dies, and afaik there is no patch or workaround for this. I don't know if this is something that has to be addressed on the Amiga OS side or on the P96 side, but if it's in your hands doing something PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do it :) There are thousands of Amiga users with gfx cards that would benefit :)

Cheers

Offline CMTX

With that said, there is one thing that bugs me when using this or any other flavour of classic amiga OS; the inability to use dual monitors with ecs/aga and a graphics card. When an rtg screen gets atention the ecs/aga screen dies, and afaik there is no patch or workaround for this.
If you are using P96:
http://cd.textfiles.com/amigama/amigama199804/WWW/Picasso96/FAQ.html

Q: What Picasso96 ENV variables are there?
A: There are:
ENV:Picasso96/AmigaVideo: if set to 31kHz, the Amiga will be set to a MULTISCAN-like mode when Picasso96 screens are shown. This is necessary if you want to have a high audio sampling rate because the Amiga audio is coupled with the Display DMA. Only set this if you do not have a 15kHz monitor like the A1084 attached to the Amiga video port.
ENV:Picasso96/BlackSwitching: if set to "Yes", the display will be set to black when screen switches involve a memory transfer of the new screen to the board. This way it might look better. Use it as you like it.

If you are using CGfX4, there are other options - but I can tell you it works as my A3000 has at times been using 3 monitors at once, one on CVPPC, one of CV64 in addition to the native ECS screen.

This doesn't work in my experience, at least with P96. I cannot try cybergraphics with my card (Vampire). With those env variables activated, the rtg screen is always visible, even if you are working with a native screen, BUT as soon as the RTG screen is focused the native screen dies. So, it's possible to use the native screen while you see the rtg screen working, but it's not possible the other way around. This absolutely kills the double screen experience.

Some time ago I did extensive research of this issue on the net and found many people in the same situation as me. At the end the recommended solution is to buy a second graphics card, but i'd prefer to not spend another 200-300€ more, if possible :)

Cheers