Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS ports + How to get back into C/C++  (Read 4442 times)

Description:

Offline Emufreak

• Show all replies
Re: AROS ports + How to get back into C/C++
« on: November 28, 2003, 08:50:06 AM »

I was thinking of porting Xevil, a great game i like to play on debian.

Well I try to port that at the moment. So we should probably try to coordinate that a bit. I have to be honest here too. My problem is I can't make too much promises. Because I have just very little time and very little experience in C/C++. What I wan't to say with that is, that I'm motivated right now but I might give up realizing that it's a bit too difficult or that I just don't have enough time for it.

Offline Emufreak

• Show all replies
Re: AROS ports + How to get back into C/C++
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 12:35:49 PM »
I just did some stuff to prepare for the porting

I read this paper too. I didn't quiet get everything in it. But it's a good start anyway.

I also looked at the directory structure of the source code. Right now its divided into 3 parts.
The cmn directory with the code that is used in all versions. We might have to make some changes in this part to so.  There's stuff like #IFDEF Win32 and #IFDEF X11 in it.

Then there is an X11 directory for linux and a win directory for windows. Well at least if you look at the amount of code I think the linuxversion is probably easier to port. The GUI of the Linuxversion isn't quite as good as the GUI for the Windowsversion. I would still take the Linuxversion because we have to rewrite the GUI anyway. I would start with a simple GUI and then we can improve it later.

I really don't quite now where to start with porting. At first I thought I could start with the graphic functions in X11/draw.cpp or something like that. But they depend so heavily on the other objects that this could be difficult. Right now I think we should start with main and port function for function. We should probably have a talk with the guys who ported it for windows first.

I also tried to write a small programm that opens a cybergraphicsscreen. But StormC seems to have some problems with the pragmas in the includefiles. You can find out more about this in the following threat.

]thread

I think Xevil should run on the following Amiga- and Amigalike systems:

Classic Amigas with 68x or PPC and Graphiccard
Pegasos
AROS

PS: I'm from Switzerland