Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it illegal to distribute Amithlon?  (Read 3503 times)

Description:

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Is it illegal to distribute Amithlon?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 21, 2007, 12:16:15 AM »

TheMagicM wrote:
being that even using it is illegal

That's a myth.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
bhoggett wrote:
Cymric wrote:
Quite correct. Legally, all copies of Amithlon are void unless you own an Amiga yourself (or a copy of Cloanto's AmigaForever) and do not use it at the same time as Amithlon.

I would dispute that. People bought - and indeed sold - Amithlon in good faith for some time before Amiga Inc chose to make their dispute with Haage & Partner known. Since Amigs Inc were not unaware of the product and even demonstrated it themselves (they were also the ones who handed over distribution rights to H&P even though those rights weren't theirs to give at the time), so to say that every copy of Amithlon out there is illegal is somewhat dubious.

I'm sorry, but 'good faith' has little to do with one party not having the license to distribute another party's copyrighted / trademarked / ... work. No license = not legal. (In the strict juridical sense of the word, without all that crap about 'morals' and 'right' and 'wrong'.) Notice that I specifically allowed for a loophole: namely when a buyer 'in good faith' is able to supply the disputed software on his own without breaking any of his licenses.

What does make it dubious is the fact that AInc 'diluted' their rights  by not immediately responding to the fact that H&P distributed software without a proper license. (Although this is new to me, I couldn't find this bit in the descriptions of Amithlon's demise.) It would depend on AInc's history in defending their rights how a judge would rule: this is the reason that Apple and other companies are so incredibly quick to file scary lawsuits to even the slightest infringements of their work. If they don't, they might not have a case in the future.

All in all, I agree with you partially. It depends on how the owner is using the software, as well as AInc's efforts to protecting its copyrights to decide whether it is genuinely illegal or not. But since it will require big bucks on lawyer fees to find out for sure---big bucks everybody would rather spend on things they like, such as feeding the kitty (<--- that one, for example)---the matter will go unanswered, and will very likely remain so until the end of time.

Is it legal to distribute the ISO now? Clearly not, and no one could possibly endorse such activity or give you permission to do so. Will anyone care if you choose to ignore the law? I doubt it.

Exactly.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline rdolores

• Show only replies by rdolores
    • http://www.rdolores.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 01:54:53 PM »
I am a regular Amithlon user since about a year ago when I installed it on an older PIII-1000 with some help from an Amithlon guide from A1K.org as mentioned by A-Pex.

It works best with older machines about 5-6 years ago. I use it mainly for networking on my home network and the Internet (WWW, FTP). I can also access files on my Windows2000 domain server as well as a network printer.

You can get it to work on newer machines, but you will need the updated kernals and drivers from Gary Colville.

Its faster than any of my Classic Amigas. But it does not emulate the custom chips. So for software that requires custom chip support, you're better off with WinUAE.

As far as legality, if you have a real Amiga (OS3.9) or Amigal Forever, that should cover the license requirements for the ROM's and OS.
A1000 - 2 Floppies, 2 MB RAM, OS 1.0-1.3
A500 - 170 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, OS 1.3/2.04
A2000 - 350 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 2.04
A2500 - 540 MB HD, 8 MB RAM, A2630, OS 3.9
A1200 - 20 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, Blizzard IV
Amithlon - 49 GB HD, 768 MB RAM, PIII-1G
AROS - 80 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, P4-3.2GHz