Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is it illegal to distribute Amithlon?  (Read 3504 times)

Description:

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
Re: Is it illegal to distribute Amithlon?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 12:27:50 AM »
if you copy it and send it to somebody else... that makes you a hero!  

esp if you are not using it!!!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:39:51 AM »
I don't think there has ever been a legal distribution of Amithlon...

Offline billchase

• Show only replies by billchase
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 01:18:03 AM »
Hmmm...Interesting Point.

C Snyder

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 01:42:13 AM »
yes

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline MaDDuck

• Show only replies by MaDDuck
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:42:47 AM »
wait...no

nevermind

"Dance like no ones watching, love like you\'ve never been hurt, work like you dont need the money,and laugh like no ones listening!"
- Unknown

Offline AJS

• Show only replies by AJS
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »
You might like to have a look at this thread especially the post by Dr BombcraterAmithlon

It seems that its part owned by A few people ( including A Inc  :-o )
Too often, we lose sight of life’s simply pleasures. Remember, When someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 to extend your arm and bitch slap that mother *’##@*&% upside the head .

Offline a-pex

• Show only replies by a-pex
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 07:31:37 PM »

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 04:05:48 AM »
> Any one of you booting into Amithlon on a regular basis?

I'm running Amithlon right now, and I love it.  I bought a 2nd-hand PC about a year ago, specifically to run Amithlon on. (It has no other OS on it.)

The Amithlon machine is my primary computer now.  I run the 'real' Amigas from time to time for old games (my PC is too slow to run them correctly in E-UAE on top of Amithlon) but at least 95% of my home computing is done using Amithlon now.

It's a real shame Amiga did what they did.  Amithlon is a winner.

As for sharing it, that would not be legal, but I don't think that would stop me from running a second copy on a laptop if I found a cheap compatible one.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 05:02:22 AM »
@c64_d0c

as long its not a product still for sale and you dont earn money on the distribut, then i see no problem with it and who cares anyway....

So, lets all band together and boycott everything except one copy of everything one of us bought. Then, we wait. Wait. Alright, they stopped selling everything anymore. Time to break out the copier.

----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline a-pex

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:49 AM »

So, lets all band together and boycott everything except one copy of everything one of us bought. Then, we wait. Wait. Alright, they stopped selling everything anymore. Time to break out the copier.

Strange comment?!? I see no problem in distributing Amithlon to help other amiga users to get such a system... Why not? Who cares for apes inc. :) You will harm nobody, because Amithlon was/is a product that is not buyable since several years...

But I am not distributing it, I have original hardware. ;)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 11:11:39 AM »

a-pex wrote:

Strange comment?!? I see no problem in distributing Amithlon to help other amiga users to get such a system... Why not? Who cares for apes inc. :) You will harm nobody, because Amithlon was/is a product that is not buyable since several years...

It doesn't matter if it harms nobody, and it doesn't matter that we may want to hurt "Apes Inc" (sic), but the fact is you will be breaching copyright and that is illegal. You can't pick and choose the laws you want to follow, if you expect the law to protect you you have to follow the law.

Offline a-pex

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »

It doesn't matter if it harms nobody, and it doesn't matter that we may want to hurt "Apes Inc" (sic), but the fact is you will be breaching copyright and that is illegal. You can't pick and choose the laws you want to follow, if you expect the law to protect you you have to follow the law.

Do not forgett to say that USING, even if you bought it at the beginning legally, is not allowed too, because there is no official licence!!!

Now everybody has to delete his installation, if he want to follow the laws that protect him...

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
Quite correct. Legally, all copies of Amithlon are void unless you own an Amiga yourself (or a copy of Cloanto's AmigaForever) and do not use it at the same time as Amithlon.

Practically, who gives a damn. I mean, really: the product is no longer sold, nor could it ever be sold in the form it was published; noone is able to pay the lawyer bill based on the sales of his product alone in order to ask for advice, let alone settle this matter properly in court. It's nice that we all agree on what's legal and what not, but the market itself has become so small, fragmented and muddied over the years that keeping that stiff upper lip is now much more of a nuisance rather than an asset in keeping the scene alive. Apart from a few brave companies who still back-port their main software (which has long since been moved to the Windows or Mac platform), that's all the Amiga has left, anyway. Even AmigaOS4 is basically stillborn because there is no new hardware being made for the platform. (Unless, of course, it is the new OS of that embedded gizmo ACube put out the other day.)

You can, of course, wait for as long as the law says you must until you are in the clear (70 years after the author's death, with the exception of the US where thanks to Disney you have to wait an additional 25 years), but by that time you really won't be using an Amiga anymore. Not even for hobby purposes.

The situation reminds me to some extent of the scene in Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life where the British army has just been decimated by Zulus, and the officers keep on doing what they always do, namely pretending the real world happens to other people and that there are tigers to be found in Africa.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline TheMagicMTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 04:06:03 PM »
You can't pick and choose the laws you want to follow

of course you can..  I do that every day.  :lol:

being that even using it is illegal I guess a backup wouldnt hurt anyone.  Disclaimer: That is assuming I would want to back it up or was going to.   there..that should keep the anti-piracy folks happy.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »

Cymric wrote:
Quite correct. Legally, all copies of Amithlon are void unless you own an Amiga yourself (or a copy of Cloanto's AmigaForever) and do not use it at the same time as Amithlon.

I would dispute that. People bought - and indeed sold - Amithlon in good faith for some time before Amiga Inc chose to make their dispute with Haage & Partner known. Since Amigs Inc were not unaware of the product and even demonstrated it themselves (they were also the ones who handed over distribution rights to H&P even though those rights weren't theirs to give at the time), so to say that every copy of Amithlon out there is illegal is somewhat dubious.

Is it legal to distribute the ISO now? Clearly not, and no one could possibly endorse such activity or give you permission to do so. Will anyone care if you choose to ignore the law? I doubt it.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 21, 2007, 12:16:15 AM »

TheMagicM wrote:
being that even using it is illegal

That's a myth.
Bill Hoggett