Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: format PC floppy to use on Amiga?  (Read 16591 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
Re: format PC floppy to use on Amiga?
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:11:24 AM »
Quote from: sim085;689770
Hello, I have a few new PC floppy disks which work fine on PC. I would like to format these in such a way that I can use them as Amiga floppy disks (not to transfer files between PC and Amiga, but to use them as if Amiga floppy disks).

I had a similar thread in the past but what was suggested then is not working. I have Windows7. I insert the floppy disk and then from command promt I enter the following command:

FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9

However I get the following output

H:\>FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9
Insert new disk for drive A:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.

Hi,

Windows does not have a flexible system, by that I mean on formatting disks it can only format 1.44 megs. Even to format 720K disks for the PC platform you have to jump through hoops today. Most PC's today don't even have a floppy disk attachment on them, I have to use a usb floppy on mine.

So you can not in any manner shape or form format an Amiga floppy on a PC.

EXCEPT

If you buy a cat weasel, and are intelligent enough to read the instructions and use it. (sorry I had to put that in since intelligence runs rampant on amiga.org)

So

1. Formating an Amiga disk on a PC machine without added hardware -- not possible.
2. Using added hardware like Cat Weasel -- possible, if you have an IQ for it.
3. Formatting any size PC disk on an Amiga if you have a high density drive (1.44 meg) -- possible.

The new file system is FAT.
Formatting 720K
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

Does anyone know if I can format a PC disk to use it as an Amiga disk? or this is not possible?

Yes, but only Amiga makes it possible. (880k drive = 720k pc, HD drive = 1.44 & 720k)

smerf

hope you loonies can understand this, if not I will try to make it simpler.
Please read whole blocked paragraph above, my answers to each question is answered within.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:13:27 AM by smerf »
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better