Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 10565 times)

Description:

Offline lassie

• Show only replies by lassie
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 05, 2012, 11:59:18 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;717701
Predators was an awesome film. Mindless and really intune with the original. The last terminator film was pretty entertaining but i didn't like 3.

Dark City was good but never watch Inception.

Yes the 3 Terminator movie was not the best.
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
I am pretty tollerant towards bad films, hell I watch the horror channel, but Terminator 3 sucked.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:33 AM »
For me, Predator was straight action. That the predator was some alien hunter was the only science fiction element it had. I enjoyed the movie for what it was though, a typical of-the-era action move. And besides, who can forget the classic lines "GET TO THE CHOPPER!" and "If it bleeds... we can kill it." :lol:

Terminator was pretty good too. Remember it was a low budget movie but time travel is always an interesting idea to explore, particularly the idea of a conflict waged between two different timelines. After all, the instant time travel is invented, you basically fork reality and the timeline in which the terminator / protectors appear in 1984 become dissociated from the timeline in which they were sent.

Terminator 2 was again rather more straight action, but was, let's face it, awesome. Terminator 3 was weak and salvation wasn't much better.

The Sarah Connor chronicles, on the other hand, showed a lot of promise. It was a shame Fox, in their infinitesimal wisdom canned it like they do so many shows just as they are getting good.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;717533
@Lassie. That is what i thought about Avatar. I never even bothered watching the end. I mean, you take out the 3D and the CGI and what is left over?

Pochahontas in space?

One of the things I found interesting in the move was Pandora itself. Aside from the loony floating mountains and what not, the whole thing seemed to be a big nod to "The Jesus Incident", a Sci Fi novel written by Frank Herbert (Dune) and Bill Ransom. It's a very unusual story that has nothing in common with the movie as far as the plot goes (AI, god complexes, psychology, time travel and other themes are the main areas it examines), but does involve humans attempting to colonise a planet called Pandora, which is choc full of deadly life forms but in which there is a collective of different species sharing a single sentient conciousness. Including a massive amount of plantlife, some of which (electrokelp) they keep trying to kill off, not realising they are basically p*ssing off the biosphere's conciousness. Oh, and did I mention that this gaia-esque entity was called "Avata" ?

I strongly doubt it's any coincidence :)
int p; // A

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
Your just a hard man to please mr Karlos :roflmao:

Predator was a classic and it was, as you say, just straight up action with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Predator 2 (and the two guys from Aliens) was probably trying a little too much. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as the original I think due to story they were trying to inject into it. Predators, for me, seemed to go back to that balls to the wall action that made the first one so darn good.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;717712
For me, Predator was straight action. That the predator was some alien hunter was the only science fiction element it had. I enjoyed the movie for what it was though, a typical of-the-era action move. And besides, who can forget the classic lines "GET TO THE CHOPPER!" and "If it bleeds... we can kill it." :lol:

Terminator was pretty good too. Remember it was a low budget movie but time travel is always an interesting idea to explore, particularly the idea of a conflict waged between two different timelines. After all, the instant time travel is invented, you basically fork reality and the timeline in which the terminator / protectors appear in 1984 become dissociated from the timeline in which they were sent.

Terminator 2 was again rather more straight action, but was, let's face it, awesome. Terminator 3 was weak and salvation wasn't much better.

The Sarah Connor chronicles, on the other hand, showed a lot of promise. It was a shame Fox, in their infinitesimal wisdom canned it like they do so many shows just as they are getting good.

I disagree about the Sarah conner chronicles. The problem with terminator was that everytime a machine came back in time it cheapened the story. The original was the best and the second was awesome as you say because they introduced something new in the x1000 but with so many terminators it just got silly.

The original terminator was the best but when it turned into a franchise they changed the rules. At the end of T2 they supposedly stopped skynet being invented which was logical and made sense but they broke the rules and now there is no reason 1000000 terminators can't travel back until they succeed. Really dumb story telling.

I'm not a fan of time travel stories in general as there isn't a  standard set of rules of how time travel works so the stories never seem  convincing somehow.

Also i agree that avatar had an interest sub story with Pandora itself being alive and interconnected. The idea of plants being intelligent is really cool. It's a shame about the movie though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:35:13 AM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Offtopic: why are there ebay links appearing inside posts very often?

EDIT: like that! I didn't put that link there *******it! :angry:
CD32
A500

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;717802

Where? Might be your browser. Advertising add on maybe?

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;717732
I disagree about the Sarah conner chronicles. The problem with terminator was that everytime a machine came back in time it cheapened the story. The original was the best and the second was awesome as you say because they introduced something new in the x1000 but with so many terminators it just got silly.

The original terminator was the best but when it turned into a franchise they changed the rules. At the end of T2 they supposedly stopped skynet being invented which was logical and made sense

Did it? It only stopped one possible outcome. What TSCC explored is the idea that the future is constantly changing as a consequence of what is going on in the present, of which there are many competing things. More specifically that the present is filled with people and machines from multiple concurrent futures*

but they broke the rules and now there is no reason 1000000 terminators can't travel back until they succeed. Really dumb story telling.

Actually, no. There are large numbers of them, but most are on other missions, not all of which (and by inference only a minority of which) are necessarily about killing key humans. These other missions range from acquiring resources needed to produce the various alloys the machines need in the future to sabotaging infrastructure the resistance will need and so on.

Terminating John Connor, while a key central theme, is no more pivotal to Skynet's future success than destroying Cyberdyne was pivotal to the resistance. It's one battle in an ongoing war.

*For example, in one episode in season 2, one of the resistance fighters (Jessie) sent back in time recognises and captures a collaborator that appears to have also come back from the future. It turns out that he was in solitary confinement in prison on a life sentence when judgement day kicked off and was subsequently captured by the machines who used him to teach them how people "tick", how to extract information effectively and how to break them. In the future flashback, it's revealed that he tortured one of the central characters in the story (Derek Reese, elder brother of Kyle). However, Derek simply isn't able to recognise the man Jessie has captured. Jessie is eventually able to prove that the man she captures is the collaborator, by locating his younger self. However, Derek has no memory of his weeks of torture at his hands. Jessie is perplexed at how he can't recall it, despite their talking about it at great length in their shared future together. Ultimately, they kill the collaborator and let the younger present-day version of him go.

Jessie believes is memory block it to be trauma-induced. However, Derek recognises that in capturing the younger guy in the present (along with various other actions he has done to try and alter the future), that perhaps he comes from a future in which he wasn't tortured whereas Jessie comes from an alternate future in which he was. They both came back separately on different missions and so each may represent alternate futures.

A twist in the plot of this episode is that the present-day young version of the guy is later arrested under Homeland Security rules for a serious crime (hacking and installation of some unremovable code in sensitive defence networks) and is ultimately thrown in jail, despite having no recollection of committing it. However, the evidence is totally stacked against him, including biometric access, retinal scans and so on. Naturally, it turns out that it was his older self from the future's mission to do this hack on behalf of Skynet. Thus he seems locked into a circular fate wherein he survives judgement day and have his entire story arc play out again, thus covering another paradox case in time travel.

Also i agree that avatar had an interest sub story with Pandora itself being alive and interconnected. The idea of plants being intelligent is really cool. It's a shame about the movie though.

Yeah, it wasn't great plot but it pushed a few technical envelopes in it's production that I appreciated.
int p; // A

Offline lassie

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;717712

There are some others cool time travel movies like

Timecop
The Butterfly Effect
The Time Machine
Deja Vu
Frequency ( I think it is a cool movie )
Army of Darkness ( funny horror movie )
Back To The Future Trilogy
The Philadelphia Experiment ( Should be a true story )
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;717802

They are vglinks. I mentioned it a while back and never really got a response from any of the admins. basically it looks like some kind of paid refferal system. A lot of boards have similar things. It looks for key words then links them.

I never got into the TSCC series. I have never been a fan of tv series adaptions of movies. For example Robocop.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »
Yes vglinks. If it's the one i'm thinking of they add an extension by force onto your browser. Mine wasn't limited to Amiga.org though, it also appeared using google searches.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »
Adblock plus removed these links :). And now back on topic ;) ...
CD32
A500

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »
I like the extras that came with the prometheus bluray.  The Wayland TED thing helped to define the character.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »
Thanks for putting me onto Pandorum. Awesome movie and one of my favs for 2012. Also i recommend Looper. Very very good.

Offline lassie

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2013, 04:48:03 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;721195
Thanks for putting me onto Pandorum. Awesome movie and one of my favs for 2012. Also i recommend Looper. Very very good.

Yes it is a cool movie Pandorum :)
I will check out Looper.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus