Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita  (Read 11151 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: A-EON Interview about Amiga's future - Distrita
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »
Quote from: dammy;790680
The market is dead, else there would be tens if not hundreds of thousand of users out there, and growing by the day to be considered a minimal market.   There will be no reigniting any old markets, that dye has been caste a very long time ago.  

A paradigm shift is an absolute must as a new market has to be created as quickly as possible.  That means it has to compete with the current successful OSs and thrive.  In order not only compete with those successful OSs and also thrive, it has to be modern, different, and uniting the Amiga base in short order.  It will take a person with alot of capital and connections to make that happen.

is creating a new market an aim for itself? do we need to become addicted to some completely new independent product, as if it was not enough being addicted to amiga as is? what would be the purpose in all that, even assuming it had any chance to happen? i dont get it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
Quote from: dammy;790691
Current market (desktop for middle aged men who want to remember their youth) is a failure.  Target needs to be shifted to the larger (and new to us as a community) market with the goal of obtaining 1% market share.  I think we all can agree there is something special about the Amiga, or at least it's spirit that we have yet to find outside of our communities. It's that spark that we need to present to the rest of the world at their level at competitive pricing.  That spark needs to be not only aimed at middle age men who remember their younger years playing on a A500/A1200, but also the 30s and under crowd that haven't touched anything other then Windows, Android/Linux, or iOS machines.

as one of these middle aged men i dont have any interest in shift to any larger market for younger audience, as this shift is inevitably bound to resignation of what amiga ever was. i really dont understand this logic, and do not see what is there to gain for either party. this is also the reason all amiga ng alternatives are bound to fail, beyond maintaining some sort of status quo. and the people know it instinctively and while dreaming of something never to come do not actually wager to budge a bit, except maybe for pure name fans if they really had some actual label to slap on whatever it might be.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;790810
Is it so weird to want something new that's not hampered by cruddy design? Anyway, if they want 68k assembly language optimizations for 68k Aros, then that meight be interesting for me.

one would have to chat with aros developers, where asm optimizations would be already useful. there is already 68k asm in places, mostly by jason and toni but also some optimizations by matthey. best is to read neccessary documentation, join developers mailing list, get access to the repository and kcommunicate with them. im a member, but im not experienced in coding. however, wherever i can help, i will. for instance to setup local build environment.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;790861

Well, OpenLibrary() does have a Forbid(), but not a long one. It rather uses the Forbid() to scan through the library lists. If it does not succeed there, then exec (or rather, ramlib) calls Permit() and creates a message to the ramlib task to load the library from disk. As soon as the message comes back, it tries again. The amount of blocking imposed by OpenLibrary() is thus not higher than that of any other disk-based operation. Besides, any disk based operation will break a Forbid() since it includes a Wait(), or at least two: one of the task waiting for the filing system, and one of the filing system waiting for the device.

looks like a reason why one gets that annoying ramlib error eventually one doesnt even know where that does come from..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;790873
Microsoft did his (dirty) part to it not were a success

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/print.php/3073811/

yawn...