Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blizzard PPC flash update - which flash excecutable to use?  (Read 10236 times)

Description:

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
Re: Blizzard PPC flash update - which flash excecutable to use?
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Quote from: Franko;655900
The firmware content is encrypted but rather poorly, less than 20 minutes to crack... :)

Course it still doesn't help if you can't write to the Flash in the first place... :(

uh! encrypted like the Elbox drivers? i didn't know .... thanks!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;655901
encrypted like the Elbox drivers?
The BPPC/CSPPC firmware is not encrypted. You should know better than to listen to more lies about this.

Any encryption would be pointless as it would need to be decrypted at run time, making it trivial to extract the decrypted code. Needless to say no such encryption exists.

Elbox Spider USB drivers were encrypted, with special checks to see if the encryption had been removed. If the detection was triggered the code would overwrite the RDB. This was done so that Elbox could keep on selling USB2 cards at premium price.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:00:01 PM by Piru »

Offline Framiga

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
in few words you are saying that you are allowed to crack their drivers while they can't trash your RDB? interesting ...

Offline Piru

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;655903
in few words you are saying that you are allowed to crack their drivers while they can't trash your RDB?
Uh, no I am not. I was merely explaining why Elbox did what they did. It should also be quite obvious that Phase5 didn't need to do such tricks since they did't try to sell stock PCI cards with premium.

Trashing the RDB is evil thing to do, regardless if someone tries to crack the driver or not. AmigaOS doesn't have any memory protection and thus just some unlucky memory trashing could result in the RDB being wiped. There's no excuse for what Elbox did.
interesting ...
It sure is interesting that you chose to interpret my concise explanation in this way.

Offline HanzuTopic starter

• Repairer-preserver-gamer
    • Show only replies by Hanzu
    • Looking for new website home
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655890
If the flash ROM is empty there is just no way the HW can initialize itself. It's rather stupid to blame Phase5 for the trouble you're having.

Have you ever tried to flash a PC motherboard with an empty BIOS?

Hint: It won't even POST.

It's rather stupid to make flash files that are just updates, because there is actually more work to take care not to overwrite those parts that are not covered by the update. So it would have been easier to make full dumps and also secure if they are crypted like Framiga says they are.

I won't blame Phase 5 for the trouble. I blame them for "going under the fence where it is lowest" and still getting near cult reputation which they in my opinion never would have deserved.

By inspecting and repairing 2 Blizzards 1260s, 2 Cyberstorms PPCs and 1 Cyberstorm Mk 2. I have seen so many design flaws, bad inspection and bad component choises it had made me highly doubt their know-how.

An example: One Blizzard 1240 I owned had resistor network with non-soldered feet. All that time since it was manufactured that resistor network was hiding under the CPU and slowly it lost contact because it only touched pad with no solder at all. Well I desoldered 040 CPU and ran microscopic inspection under it and found it. Luckily card came into life and I updated it to 060 version. But for expensive products like they were, should not have contained these kind of rookie manufacturing errors.

No I have not tried to boot PC mobo with empty BIOS chip. I have never managed to be unsuccessful enough to corrupt any BIOS. But after all this time they have started to put their BIOS files to easy detachable socketed ZIP ICs just to allow easy swap in case of failure. For example my new Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard has this feature. So my point is, if Blizzard 1240/1260 had firmware chip in socketed PLCC that is easy to extract ans swap, in Blizzard PPC they should have never gone to soldered TSOP chip just because it was cheaper as manufacturing process and lacks one work routine of assembling that PLCC chip after PLCC socket is paste soldered.

I want to explain the reason why I initially thought it might be possible to flash empty 29F040 on board is:

Because of the first reply I thought flash memory only contains those libraries and some of the programmable logic chips located in the card contained data cards needs for intitializing itself. The fact that there are keys that can be depressed to disable the card or its features supported my thought about this theory.

If I would have working BlizzardPPC and some foolish bravery I could try what happens if I boot some A1200 with working card and then hot swap the one with empty flash, and then, assuming I do it fast enough (which surely is impossible) that A1200 does not reset, then trying to flash assuming flash data is loaded in memory. :crazy:
A4000 CR Rev D "Lian-Li Towered"+CSPPC 060 66MHz+Mediator+XSurf100 with USB+ZorRAM 256MB+Radeon 9200 256MB etc., A4000 original Rev B+CSPPC 060 50MHz+PIV etc., A4000 Rev B mobo, A4000T mobo+CSPPC 060 50 MHz, A4000T mobo, CD32, several A1200s, 2xA600, A500 Plus, A2000 Rev 6.2, several A500s with one ACA500+, Falcon 030, 1040STe, 1040STFM, 2xSVI X'PRESS (one MSX2+ modded), several C64s, 2xC128, 2x128D, C64 Reloaded MK2 and a big game collection.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 09:10:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655902
The BPPC/CSPPC firmware is not encrypted. You should know better than to listen to more lies about this.

Any encryption would be pointless as it would need to be decrypted at run time, making it trivial to extract the decrypted code. Needless to say no such encryption exists.

Elbox Spider USB drivers were encrypted, with special checks to see if the encryption had been removed. If the detection was triggered the code would overwrite the RDB. This was done so that Elbox could keep on selling USB2 cards at premium price.

Dunno if you've ever checked the software updates but as usual you are wrong, they are encrypted & packed, still as you know everything then I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge even though you obviously aint ever checked them... :rolleyes:

Ooops... sorry I forgot you can't read this... tough luck eh... :roflmao:

PS: The ElBox FastATA drivers are also encrypted to check for hardware but a simple modification of 24 bytes at the start of the code removes this protection and the same applies to the AllegroCDFilesystem... easy when you know how... ;)

Offline Piru

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Quote from: Hanzu;655905
It's rather stupid to make flash files that are just updates, because there is actually more work to take care not to overwrite those parts that are not covered by the update.
The flash updates are not partial updates. They contain the full firmware contents. However, the updater application needs to read the contents of the original flash ROM to get the correct configuration information.

IIRC the flash updater tool might even have some switches to provide some of this configuration information, but I might remember incorrectly (I'm fairly sure that there were some options to specify the CPU speeds etc).

As for the Phase5/DCE build quality: I've had Blizzard 1230-IV, 2 x Blizzard PPCs, BVision PPC, 2 x Pegasos I, Pegasos II and an EFIKA. All have been of excellent build quality (it's a small sampling I know).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:25:07 PM by Piru »

Offline Framiga

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »
Quote from: Hanzu;655905
It's rather stupid to make flash files that are just updates, because there is actually more work to take care not to overwrite those parts that are not covered by the update. So it would have been easier to make full dumps and also secure if they are crypted like Framiga says they are.

hysterical replies apart, Piru knows Phase5 products better than me.

So apology for the mess (about the damn encrypted thing) :-)

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:25 PM »
Sorry to interrupt intresting debate, but this is not really helpful. By going close to offtopic and struggle for expertice makes this thead way longer and decreases chances that someone that still has optimism for this issue reads all these replys and provides something useful.

It would be nice to hear if anyone could borrow DIL40 to TSOP32 adapter like this or provide a link where it would be available with a lot cheaper price:
http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/?f=DIL32_TSOP32_ZIF_18.4mm

If flash memory content is not codeprotected it would give some hope if I would get another Blizzard PPC even faulty one with working flash memory, I could carefully desolder and place to that kind of adapter. It does not matter if flash memory content is encrypted, compressed or anything else if the chip itself is not programmed with code protect on. I assume code protect is off, because running flash update is possible.
A4000 CR Rev D "Lian-Li Towered"+CSPPC 060 66MHz+Mediator+XSurf100 with USB+ZorRAM 256MB+Radeon 9200 256MB etc., A4000 original Rev B+CSPPC 060 50MHz+PIV etc., A4000 Rev B mobo, A4000T mobo+CSPPC 060 50 MHz, A4000T mobo, CD32, several A1200s, 2xA600, A500 Plus, A2000 Rev 6.2, several A500s with one ACA500+, Falcon 030, 1040STe, 1040STFM, 2xSVI X'PRESS (one MSX2+ modded), several C64s, 2xC128, 2x128D, C64 Reloaded MK2 and a big game collection.

Offline Piru

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
Quote from: Hanzu;655914
If flash memory content is not codeprotected it would give some hope if I would get another Blizzard PPC even faulty one with working flash memory, I could carefully desolder and place to that kind of adapter. It does not matter if flash memory content is encrypted, compressed or anything else if the chip itself is not programmed with code protect on. I assume code protect is off, because running flash update is possible.

Indeed it would work, except that AFAIK the flash contains the HW configuration (CPU speed etc). So it'd be best to have a dump from a matching BPPC if only possible.

Offline Franko

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
Quote from: Hanzu;655914
Sorry to interrupt intresting debate, but this is not really helpful. By going close to offtopic and struggle for expertice makes this thead way longer and decreases chances that someone that still has optimism for this issue reads all these replys and provides something useful.

It would be nice to hear if anyone could borrow DIL40 to TSOP32 adapter like this or provide a link where it would be available with a lot cheaper price:
http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/?f=DIL32_TSOP32_ZIF_18.4mm

The encryption isn't checked for by the Blizzard hardware itself, it's only there I assume to stop anyone changing the actual software update code with a hex editor and distributing a "dodgy" version of the software update... ;)

So installing it isn't protected in any way by looking for the attached genuine hardware, it's only to try and prevent folk mucking around with the software update code... :)

Not sure, but I assume you have already removed and replaced the original flash ROM, might be worth trying the flash update to see what happens, after all what have you got to lose... :)

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:42 PM »
Quote from: Piru;655915
Indeed it would work, except that AFAIK the flash contains the HW configuration (CPU speed etc). So it'd be best to have a dump from a matching BPPC if only possible.

Great thanks! Now we are getting somewhere.

Quote from: Franko;655916
The encryption isn't checked for by the Blizzard hardware itself, it's only there I assume to stop anyone changing the actual software update code with a hex editor and distributing a "dodgy" version of the software update... ;)

So installing it isn't protected in any way by looking for the attached genuine hardware, it's only to try and prevent folk mucking around with the software update code... :)

Not sure, but I assume you have already removed and replaced the original flash ROM, might be worth trying the flash update to see what happens, after all what have you got to lose... :)

Makes sense to me. Thanks!

Having expensive Elnec Beeprog+ in work...
http://www.elnec.com/products/universal-programmers/beeprogplus/
...would make me to get one of these adapters, if the price would not be so high:
http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/?f=DIL32_TSOP32_ZIF_18.4mm Price: 136.00 € excl. VAT
http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/?f=DIL32_TSOP32_ZIF-CS_14mm Price: 145.00 € excl. VAT
http://www.elnec.com/products/programming-adapters/?f=DIL32_TSOP32_ZIF_11.8mm Price: 249.00 € excl. VAT

If I could help someone else to repair their Blizzard PPC it might be more worth buying to share expences.

FlashUpdates-26042002.lha that I linked in the first post has FlashBIOS.doc file describing those flash options. Not really very detailed but there are chances to get it right since most of the options are for SCSI which is not installed for this card.

I guess I will try to update, I can always remove 29F040 and add new one. They are not expensive.

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
I'm afraid I would need a little favor to proceed faster. This is what I would need.

1) Download this archive http://phase5.a1k.org/download.php?f=a12c7b93e0a936ab933791543da26d84&countonly=1
2) Extract the archive and put this file BlizzPPC060Update to formatted 880k AmigaDOS disk
3) Convert this disk as ADF file
4) email it to me at hanzux (at) gmail.com or provide me with download link
5) once I received it I will post here to let others know I don't need it anymore

Why don't I do this myself with all that gear in my sig, you may ask. Because right now they are not where I'm and all I have in front of me right is A1200 mobo without any OS installed where I'm supposed to try the flashing and PC with Catweasel 4 where I could write ADF-file as a flashdisk.

If there is no-one who can do this for me. It takes several days before I'm with those A4000 to do it myself.

Offline stachu100

• Show only replies by stachu100
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
@Hanzu,

Have you ever tried to run BPPPC without 29F040B installed?

You will not have FPU, SCSI and PPC in AOS because all necessary libraries are inside flash memory, but you will be sure that BPPC hardware is ok.

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
Quote from: stachu100;655988
@Hanzu,

Have you ever tried to run BPPPC without 29F040B installed?

You will not have FPU, SCSI and PPC in AOS because all necessary libraries are inside flash memory, but you will be sure that BPPC hardware is ok.

No I have not, but now that you mentioned it. That is what I'm going to do if I can't flash that empty AMD AM29F040B-90ED. Thanks for telling me about that possibility!

Offline Franko

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 24, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
Quote from: Hanzu;655979
I'm afraid I would need a little favor to proceed faster. This is what I would need.

1) Download this archive http://phase5.a1k.org/download.php?f=a12c7b93e0a936ab933791543da26d84&countonly=1
2) Extract the archive and put this file BlizzPPC060Update to formatted 880k AmigaDOS disk
3) Convert this disk as ADF file
4) email it to me at hanzux (at) gmail.com or provide me with download link
5) once I received it I will post here to let others know I don't need it anymore

Why don't I do this myself with all that gear in my sig, you may ask. Because right now they are not where I'm and all I have in front of me right is A1200 mobo without any OS installed where I'm supposed to try the flashing and PC with Catweasel 4 where I could write ADF-file as a flashdisk.

If there is no-one who can do this for me. It takes several days before I'm with those A4000 to do it myself.

No Problem... do you want it left in the lha archive or extracted to disk on the ADF file... :)