Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 40895 times)

Description:

Offline Gulliver

Who? The willing party, Cloanto. How? By research and contacting original owner/authors. As I am sure you are aware, most of the source files do have copyright and license information.
I'd be surprised if they haven't already done a lot of this.

No, they haven't.

I have attempted to reach some in the past, as an individual. And it is a legal mess: some people have passed away, and that makes things even harder.

The problem is that there is no consensus at all: everyone and their cat want a different thing. That is why we have companies fighting each other, users going different routes, and amigans trolling other amigans.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:08:15 PM by Gulliver »

Offline Gulliver

Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:37:56 AM »
@cgutjahr

People use AmigaOS because it works better on their hardware, not because it is official or not. There have been numerous much better Operating Systems for the Amiga from a technical point of view (Linux and NetBSD), but they fail to deliver the perfomance users expect on anemic hardware. Add to that the nostalgia factor. So competing OSes on Amiga hardware are nothing new and the fault is not somewhere else but theirs to carry.

I could work for Atari, Apple or your grocery shop just around the corner, I don't care what company drives AmigaOS. What I do care is my hobby, and have someone that supports it.

Hyperion is absolutely flawed on many fronts, but they at least give us the freedom to decide the route the OS should take, and offer a basic support for that. Cloanto does not offer anything at all. They have never approached us with any sort of plan or proposal. But hey, if you are happy enough with Amiga Forever then be my guest. It is your hobby too.

It is simple, those two companies are expected to keep doing what they have been doing, everything else is mere fantasy right now:

Hyperion will continue selling AmigaOS
Cloanto will continue selling Amiga Forever

Then as a customer you can use your wallet to vote for your choice. That is the best you can do.

I do hope Open Source comes to AmigaOS, I even believe it will inevitably arrive, but it will not be in the timeframe nor shape people expect it to happen. And for certain, some entity formed by developers willing to work on the OS must take desitions on the roadmap, or otherwise it will be just another dead OS project in github/sourceforge.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:55 PM »
The latest AfA release is from 2016. The latest AmigaOS update is from 2019.
Anyway AFA is not an OS but a set of patches that requires an unnderlying OS.

Anyway, AROS can continue being a reduction cost measure for the Vampire V4 project, or for whatever emulator. AROS is not a issue.
They can, and probably will do whatever they please. They can keep changing ABIs as much as they wish to. It is their project and goals, which are quite different.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »
I am talking about AROS in general.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 12:19:58 AM »
BTW why do you think Aros 68k developers have the desire to imitate the features of 3.2 (like Reaction)

both platforms are in competition in future and users will decide what they want to use (depending of course on the hardware)

In competiton? How?

AROS is more platform agnostic, and it is one of its major advantages as an OS. I don't see it as competition.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 02:10:32 AM »
The latest AfA release is from 2016. The latest AmigaOS update is from 2019.
I was talking about the follow up project, I think it's called "AfA One". That one had a release in October.

But that is not an an OS, it is a prepackaged set of programs and customizations meant for AROS. It is what we call a "distro", that relies in the underlyinng OS, much like ClassicWB, Amiga In a Box, BestWB, etc.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
BTW to general make it clear to all... Aros on 68k needs no special compiled software but runs normal amiga software. Of course both 3.1.4 and Aros are now in competition on 68k (at least on vampire)

You got it all wrong, AROS is competing with CoffinOS(which is based on 3.9).
Which seeems to be the promoted choice by the Vampire Team. In fact, one of its creators/distributors is a member of the Vampire Team himself.

http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2019-11-00011-EN.html

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 05:28:48 AM »
I must say that I've lost count of the number of times that a current or former Amiga OS delevoper has bemoaned the fact that they cannot contribute to AROS because of the NDA they signed with Hyperion.  Let's also not forget the huge number of developers who opened up to the public that they wanted to work on Amiga OS but had to make the hard choice not to because the NDA presented to them was just too restrictive for their liking.

Please let us know the "huge number" of developers wishing to contribute to AROS that made the hard choice.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »
What do you want to imply?

What I thought he wanted to imply is that you are not dependent on an income from your Amiga work, since you're earning your money by another job. Thus the same could apply to Mike.

They are both totally different categories of people. Mike does not develop Amiga software right now.
He lives in part by licensing Commodore stuff. He is charging money for Amiga Forever and licensing roms.
The only development he does is on the emulation wrapper he provides, and even that, I believe is outsourced.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »
Is it naive to believe you worked on 3.1.4 for "free" as well?
What do you want to imply? That I'm lying? Thank you so much. It's probably not enough having worked on 3.1.4 without payment (not alone, of course), and having provided freeware over the last 20 years or so, also without payment. What else do you need? Do I need to open up my bank account to prove it? Which type of conspiracy theory comes next?

I'm implying that perhaps you should not assume primary motivation.  I don't know Mike Battalina well, but I did speak with him some at a convention a couple years back.  His motivation was clear to me, and it was not money.

Companies are made to make money. Sweet talk does not change that.

He had his company focused on making money licensing Commodore's IP since even before Hyperion ever existed.

And he is still selling the same repackaged stuff to this very day, instead of giving it away for free.

Talk is cheap.

His motivation is to make money and you are just another one that felt into his PR stunt.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
A-EON wants to take over OS4 and Cloanto wants to take over OS3 - Hyperion is in the way.

You got it all wrong as usual:

Cloanto wants to get both AmigaOS3 and AmigaOS4.

A-EON and Hyperion have been already cooperating for some time.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 07:04:12 AM »
@Gulliver
You live under a rock or something? The “cooperation” between AEON and Hyperion went sour years ago, Trevor was furious with Hermans and stated something to the effect of “this is now personal”. As pointed out by your fellow despoiler Minuous, Trevor has also been supporting Cloanto financially, to pay developers and who knows what else (can you think of anything??)

The only entity somewhat supporting Hyperion at this point is iComp, a licensee who is slowly realizing that he’s been duped, that his investment was made on false premises and his licenses are in limbo.

I don't live under a rock, in fact, I am in a position that can see things happening that others try to guess. And I am not the only one.
So you can keep guessing all you want, but that does not make it a fact.

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 05:47:04 PM »
I don't live under a rock, in fact, I am in a position that can see things happening that others try to guess. And I am not the only one.
So you can keep guessing all you want, but that does not make it a fact.
Jesus Christ, are you new to this scene? This is 2020 and you're saying in public, with a straight face, "Ben tells me things, so there!".

Trevor is now publicly accusing Ben Hermans of stealing half a million bucks from him, and forging bank documents to hide it. And Gulliver's walking around telling people "A-EON and Hyperion have been cooperating for some time". *facepalm*

I was wondering who Ben would pick as the next Solie. Looks like he has so many applications, he's probably going to run a competition. Hey, maybe you should buy some Hyperion shares? That's going to improve your chances a lot, you know.

I am sorry for you, I have very little contact with your beloved friend Ben.

But hey, you run the biased gossip show, not me, so you can try the guessing game all you want.