Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A word about the content here at Amiga.org  (Read 137999 times)

Description:

A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« on: June 19, 2002, 08:32:16 PM »
Hi guys,

Looking back through the last few weeks of forum posts, I have found a lot of instance where people applaud Amiga.org on one front only to slam us on another.  Specifically the lack of news reporting, downloads, links, etc.

I feel (yet again) compelled to note that the content on this site belongs to YOU, the community.  Essentially it appears that I'm all alone driving content to this site.  Others help moderate it, but I end up posting 99.99% of it.  I no longer have time to scour news sites every few hours like I used to for news stories.  I have even less time to scour downloads, links and other parts of the site.

As such, that means if you want news/links/downloads/etc, it is up to each of you to contribute.  If you don't, you do not have the right to bitch about our lack of ability to keep up.

It takes several hours per day for one person to keep this site up to date and current.  I no longer have several hours per day to dedicate to this site.  It would take 5 minutes for each person to send us something every day.

I know I am not the most subtle person in the world, and I tend to be abrasive when I get riled up, but I am about to suggest a new slogan for the site

"pitch in, or piss off"  :-)  {joking}

[ Edited by Wayne on 2002/6/19 14:28:46 ]

Offline Wilse

Re: A word about the content here at Amiga.org
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 08:46:59 PM »
ok  :-o

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 08:58:48 PM »
Will do...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 09:29:19 PM »
As such, that means if you want news/links/downloads/etc, it is up to each of you to contribute.

Agreed!

It takes several hours per day for one person to keep this site up to date and current. I no longer have several hours per day to dedicate to this site. It would take 5 minutes for each person to send us something every day.

I applaud your efforts Wayne.  Quite obviously, without you, we all would not have this site to use.

I know I am not the most subtle person in the world, and I tend to be abrasive when I get riled up

You're such a warm and kind person!!  Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!  :-)

Send stuff in people!  The moderators, including myself, are ready and waiting for postings, downloads, whatever!
Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 10:29:31 PM »
ok
Not sure how to take that :)

Wayne

Offline Skippy

• Show only replies by Skippy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2002, 10:33:47 PM »
Regarding submissions:

Can we post news articles featured on other amiga news sites?

Skippy
Squareroot of all fluffiness.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2002, 10:41:40 PM »
You can submit ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you like as long as it's either of major general interest or specifically Amiga related.  The appropriate moderator will look at your submission and either approve it, investigate it, or decline it based on very open criteria.  

A news "post" can be as simple as a pointer to an interesting article.

[ Edited by Wayne on 2002/6/19 14:43:31 ]

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2002, 12:47:52 AM »
@skippy.

Thank you very, very much for the news posts.  Please consider however adding the shareware releases as files, not news.  Makes it much easier to keep up with the news and provides a seperator line with the links.

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2002, 07:13:30 PM »
Well I contributed a GIF anim of that girl with the strategically painted Boing!balls.  And it was removed.  I bet it would've been the most popular download too :-)

So Kent removed it.  OK.  But I posted the link along with some joke about "Kent" really being John Ashcroft.

Then the whole thread was removed.

Hmmm.  Either somebody doesn't have a sense of humor, or John Ashcroft really does have ties to amiga.org   :-)

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2002, 07:33:27 PM »
"pitch in or piss off"

Hmmm..... I like it ;-)

Seriously its a catchy slogan :-)
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2002, 08:16:29 PM »
@boing.

I removed it after receiving no less than a dozen complaints about it being seen by member's kids.  It seems a lot of people use us as their home page and when little "Johnny" gets on and starts clicking, the parents (our users) were not amused.  

While I personally take no offense to the images (outside of thinking them terribly tacky), I have to respect the opinions of our users.  If a dozen are offended enough to say something, how many users are simply so offended that they stop coming to the site but never say anything?

Amiga.org, for good or bad, has garnered a reputation for representing the Amiga community without most of the hype, and without most of the childish behavior you can find on other sites.  The last thing I believe we want to do give our users reason to look elsewhere for maturity.

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2002, 09:40:03 PM »
@ Wayne,
Good points.  Fully agreed with you.
Michael

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2002, 04:25:01 PM »
Wayne, im only partly familiar with TiVo and i dont even think we get it in Oz... But is that a real advertisment?
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2002, 04:28:32 PM »

Wayne wrote:
@boing.

I removed it after receiving no less than a dozen complaints about it being seen by member's kids.  It seems a lot of people use us as their home page and when little "Johnny" gets on and starts clicking, the parents (our users) were not amused.  

While I personally take no offense to the images (outside of thinking them terribly tacky), I have to respect the opinions of our users.  If a dozen are offended enough to say something, how many users are simply so offended that they stop coming to the site but never say anything?

Amiga.org, for good or bad, has garnered a reputation for representing the Amiga community without most of the hype, and without most of the childish behavior you can find on other sites.  The last thing I believe we want to do give our users reason to look elsewhere for maturity.

And this is the reason i stay here. Sure i would have liked to see it, but Waynes Moderation makes it a great place for all of us.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline KrasH

• Show only replies by KrasH
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2002, 05:50:51 PM »

Rodney wrote:

And this is the reason i stay here. Sure i would have liked to see it, but Waynes Moderation makes it a great place for all of us.

It's a pity that email isn't the same.. no less than 10-20 spam emails a day is what I get. If only that crap could be more moderated. And no, not using a filter one ones email client :-(

Yes, amiga.org is a great place to visit, even though I haven't turned my A4000/PPC in a few months, I still visit amiga sites for that one elusive post "The AmigaOne has arrived!"
Amiga 4000 CSPPC [retired]
Intel i7 3930K @ 4.3Ghz / Corsair H100 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 16 GB / 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 2 x EVGA 2GB 680GTX SC Sig / 3 x Benq XL2420T / 1 x Samsung 2443 BW+
27" iMac / i7 @ 3.4 / 680mx / 3TB Fusion / 32GB RAM