Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In these troubled times...  (Read 1492 times)

Description:

Offline FloidTopic starter

• Show only replies by Floid
In these troubled times...
« on: September 28, 2003, 06:02:00 AM »

Offline GreggBz

• Show only replies by GreggBz
    • http://www.outerspacecrew.net
Re: In these troubled times...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 06:15:30 AM »
Hmm..
My recent and freqnet visits to www.windowsupdate.com
kinda of make me wish I was using a Mac!!!

Good thing Amiga OS does'nt have to atomatically check for updates every time I use my A1200 to putz around on aminet.

All modern and popular operating systems are SO bloated... except for perhaps PalmOS.

Offline kealist

• Show only replies by kealist
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 06:57:03 AM »
I'm using a mac, reverting to the old .kext file did me no good.   :)  Looks like I will let my mac sit useless until they release another upgrade.  BLah

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 07:12:13 AM »
Thank God, We're in a Bowling Ally!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 07:22:10 AM »
All modern and popular operating systems are SO bloated... except for perhaps PalmOS.

My Amiga and my Zire 71 are the only machines I can go through the entire directory structure, and know what every file is - because I put them all there myself.   :-o
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline DoomMaster

• Show only replies by DoomMaster
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 10:38:14 AM »
I much rather use a Macintosh then a PC.  The older Macintosh computers were built better and they were higher quality then most of the Amiga computers.  The Amigas were more powerful, but the older Macintoshs were built better.  The original "small-footprint" Macs were part of a World wide standard that only used the highest quality parts.  This is the reason why they were so expensive back then.  Since most people were NOT willing to pay for quality, Apple lowered their quality standards to compete with the rest of the consumer level junk that was being sold.  Commodore did the same thing after the release of their FlagShip computer- The Amiga 2000.     :-D
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 09:32:03 PM »
Well iam useing a mac with OSX 10.2.8 and i have no probs, with it  I had more problems with my amiga than I ever had with my mac, dunno if its only me but look at my post on probs with an amiga monitor that i can not even use  :-(

Offline TallAmigan

• Show only replies by TallAmigan
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 12:09:39 AM »
gotta iMac, PC and MANY Amigas....

Still prefer the AMiga....
 :-D
A.S.K.- Amiga Society of Kentuckiana

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 12:11:41 AM »
@Doom Master

You really are a nutbar  :-P
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 01:57:56 AM »
Now Now, one does have to admit the amiga 2000 was built like a friggin tank.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 05:34:44 AM »
Yes, the A2000 was build like a tank, and weighed about as much too.  I remember toting that fat old girl around to shows and the like.  One could throw a disk trying to haul one of those around.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline amigau

• Show only replies by amigau
    • http://www.amigau.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 06:32:37 AM »
I don't think the macs were 'so expensive' because they were so 'excellent' quality - I think it had more to do with going to a 'closed box' system, upmarket pricing from PCs (e.g. they HAD to charge that much because they were selling fewer computers at first vs. the Apple II/III and had to stay in business, after all) and immediately leaving behind their hardware-hacker consumer base that used the Apple II, which then realizing that apple no longer cared about them, moved to the PC because they could again hack the guts of the computer.

The Apples were better then comparable PCs of the same era but I don't know if they were better than any comparable Amigas, save maybe the Amiga 600, because I've been running a webserver on an A2000 for over 2.5 years with virtually no interruption and virtually no problems, either - that's quality for you - how many 14 year old Macs (and definitely PCs of that era, ha!) can say the same?

I think Amiga500's were pretty darn durable too, they just weren't that expandable without paying quite a bit of $$ at the time...

kevin orme
amiga university
www.amigau.com