Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I need a new computer...  (Read 2249 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

I need a new computer...
« on: September 15, 2003, 02:40:30 AM »
(Please note that these are just my observations, not trying to start a flame war)

Maybe I'm a little late, but yesterday I had my first chance to see both OS4 beta (running on a towerized A4000) and MorphOS.  For those of you who haven't had a chance to see them side by side, MOS seemed tremendously more advanced.  Looking at the tiny Pegasos motherboard, I saw a lot of possibilities...

Now I've been an Amiga user since the '80s.  I've lost track of how many thousands of hours I've put into customizing my various systems.  But it just doesn't seem like I have time for that anymore.  The real world caught up to me some time ago, and between work & school (uni) leaves little time for a system that's a hack on top of a patch on top of a kludge, as much as I'm trying to rekindle the nostalgia.  MOS looked very slick, whereas the OS4 system crashed, I don't know, a dozen times in one afternoon?  I just don't have time for that!  Now while I'm very impressed by the amount of work that Hyperion seems to be putting into OS4, I doubt that I'll ever be investing any money into an AmigaOne.

Kudos, BBRV & Crew.  You've won another admirer.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: I need a new computer...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 02:54:16 AM »
The Pegasos is a great choice! :-)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 04:44:52 AM »
Hmm.. I havent had a chance to actually witness OS4 live myself. I have read alot of reports.. Its seems very early beta. Its a shame I've been waiting over 3 years for it! I have a Cyberstorm PPC 4000T. I also have a Pegasos which I cant get enough of. The 4000T is not turned on unless I have to do video work.

Its a shame all the bad vibes some Amiga people have put on MorphOS, especially since it is so stable and runs Amiga apps. Not only that but MOST of the TOP Amiga Developers are now coding for Genesi or MorphOS - also the Pegasos was and is engineered by hte ex-Phase5 people who brought the PPC to the Amiga! If it wasnt for Phase5 and BBRV there would be no OS4 project! And now with the latest press statement by Ben Hermans of Hyperion about trying to get OS4 "booting" on A1 before finishing the CyberPPC version, things seem bleak. This statement contradicts his previous... ho hum what else is new? Poor Amigans...
 When Amiga people actually try MorphOS for themselves they realize its the true Amiga PPC OS legacy!
magnetic

magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 07:21:08 AM »
Yes i have seen morphos/pegasos running at the local user group and it very much feels like an amiga and looks fantastic, what with MUIppc allowing the GUI to be customized.  Compatibility and stability is also pretty good for a beta OS, and will only get better.  I also have not head anything about the software that is being ported to AmigaOS4.0, but Morphos seems to have quite a few developers on side.  who will wait and wait just for an official AmigaOS releas when the only thing official about it is the name..

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 12:48:33 PM »
As far as I'm aware, MorphOS has been in development a while longer than OS4. Personally I'd like to see release versions of both rather than drawing conclusions from beta versions of either.

An early beta of MorphOS (was it 0.8 or something? I cant recall) for the blizzppc not only fell over at the slightest provocation on my machine but managed to trash my hard drive, requiring a total reinstall. That was some time ago.

I'm sure the bugs presently in OS4 will be ironed out and both systems doubtless will be a lot of fun to play with :-)
int p; // A

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 01:05:02 PM »
@Karlos

MOS 0.4 and 0.8 was in Alpha for BlizzardPPC (as reported by the docs).

Ciao

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 03:25:33 PM »
 Pegasos is a good choice if you want to use it now with an amiga type/compatable os .Amigaone is linux only at the moment so you would be wating like me for os4 before using it. My a1 is built and waiting for os4 i just cant use it like i would. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 04:41:18 PM »
Hm...MOS was running on BlizzPPC? Why isn't there a release for it now? Some kind of marketing strategy?  :-?.

How I long for a usefull OS for my BlizPPC...... :-/.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 05:14:59 PM »

odin wrote:
Hm...MOS was running on BlizzPPC? Why isn't there a release for it now? Some kind of marketing strategy?  :-?.

How I long for a usefull OS for my BlizPPC...... :-/.

I think its a case of the MOS developers not wanting to be bombarded with requests for support like "MOS doesnt work on my A1200 PPC with , , ", and so on.  

This makes sense to me.  Better to concentrate their efforts on adding features to the Pegasos version.   There are internal versions that run on the old BPPC/CSPPC cards (afaik Piru runs MOS 1.4 on his A1200) .  Maybe a release version that only supports a specific hardware config (BlizzPPC/BVision or CSPPC/CVision) would make sense but it's up to the MOS guys to decide if they want to do that.

Offline chris

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 10:04:43 PM »
I'd just like to break this happy MorphOS advocacy thread, in order to say that I have tried it and didn't like it.  Sure, it boots quickly.  It's fast.  OS4 is almost certainly going to boot quickly, and run fast.  I've not used OS4 betas on PPC hardware (I have on 68k, and there was nothing to suggest it is less stable or slower than 3.9).  I have other reasons, but my foot is firmly in the OS4 camp.  If Morph ends up being the only way then I'll probably give up and buy some dodgy Windows box.

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Spidey

• Show only replies by Spidey
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 10:16:25 PM »
Hi Chris,

I really hope OS4 manages and that you don't have to live a life with a Windoze-box! :-D

I've got faith in Hyperion...

Spidey

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 10:28:13 PM »
Well. to each for their kind.

Personally.. I started lookin back to AMiga to avouid usign windowse
anymore (some years ago) and since been waiting.. But in last springs
pegasos offer was so good I decided to cease waiting for now and start
using.

And so. Nowdays most of the time I use Pegasos, only when I have
things (in work) that need some PC softwares I turn on that Win2k
machine..

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 10:29:41 PM »
@Chris

Thats the spirit! "Nothing wrong with the product but I just don't want to use it"

:)

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 10:34:53 PM »
are we on ann.lu now or?

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 10:41:06 PM »
spider usb also thrashed the hdd , hmmm weird that they abandoned that and .... ?

anyway mos0.4 was a early step 1 year ago .. 1.4 feels abit more like its own system now , though its still BETA! .

ohwell i wont provoke more now as its no need for it, people make their own choices and thats the beauty of it , but it seems that everyone is happy even, thats better than going windows and not beeing happy with it..

so its good that u didnt go x86.
Whats up with all the hate!