Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haiku RC 3  (Read 4953 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Haiku RC 3
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
I now use it as my media center in my bedroom. I would think that running such a gem on virtual hardware would count as blasphemy! ;)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »
I have way too much to do this week (I got a lot of paintings need doing and my Wii needs hacking) so VM it'll have to be for now.

Now as far as hardware platforms go that just made a thought pop into my head, I would love to see Haiku for the original XBox, I know the RAM is a bit low but USB is not a problem (for anyone who doesn't know, the joypad ports are just USB with a proprietory shape and go onto USB headers on the mobo). No need to chip either as it can be soft-modded. Maybe one day....

....and then after googling to see if anyone else had thought of this I found a bounty for it: http://haikuware.com/xbox-bounty

Looks like I'm not the only one who likes the idea.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;684972
wonder if this would run on a raspberry pi...

FYI buddy:  https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/raspberrypis_port_haiku
Falling into a dark and red rage.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:34 PM »
Heh, I just hacked two Wii's last week. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 02:35:55 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;685139
Heh, I just hacked two Wii's last week. :)

What does a hacked Wii do?
Is it limited to running copies of games or can the console run other apps?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »
Back ups of commercial titles. Full control over your hardware, game saves, etc. Homebrew apps, games, emulators (UAE), mod tracker, custom channels. What more can I say?

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »
It's worth while to own a few classic XBOX's as well. ;)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 03:11:39 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;685179
... Full control over your hardware...

FULL control?

So we're not talking the hacks that allow a Wii to use hacked Gamecube software, but allow the use of the Wii's native capabilities?

The main reason I'm asking that is that the latest Wii's don't feature Gamecube compatibility.

And the Wii would make a neat alternate OS platform.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 03:15:32 AM »
Are you looking to run an OS on it? I think at the moment there is only Linux, but I've not tried it. As for Gamecube on the new Wii. A work around may be on the way. You can still hack them and do everything else though.

Would be neat to see AROS on it.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;685187
Are you looking to run an OS on it? I think at the moment there is only Linux, but I've not tried it. As for Gamecube on the new Wii. A work around may be on the way. You can still hack them and do everything else though.

Would be neat to see AROS on it.

Of course I'm thinking of an OS.
I've been fond of Nintendo hardware since ArtX was designing their GPUs (ArtX of course was absorbed by ATI, which kind of explain why Nintendo switched to ATI).
And Nintendo's CPUs are basic PPC cores (unlike the exotic Cell related designs of Sony and Microsoft's consoles).

Of course, what REALLY interests me is the possibility of hacking the Wii U.
Power7 based processor? Since MorphOS won't be ported to hacked consoles, AROS would make this interesting.

BTW - What (besides conforming to the Amiga 3.1 API) prevents AROS from supporting SMP and multi-core processors?

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »
@xdelusion:  Is share your enthusiasm for the BeOS platform.  I first saw it when a guy at a an Amiga user group bought BeOS PC in running on a p2-350 with 8 mb video card, with TV, and video capture.  I played with it for about half an hour and it blew away anything this side of $6000 for the Amiga could achieve (PAL territory so toaster was irrelevant), for about 1/3 of the price.  

At the time I was soldiering on with an A1200 trying to run things like Photogenics and Cinema4D on AGA. It was a toy in comparison.  BeOS had 24 bit fast graphics, brilliant multitasking, fast booting, nice icon set for the day  as opposed to the 4-color, MWB, newicon dog's breakfast I had, multiple "screens", nice modern consistent GUI.  We even got a cheapo PC scanner to work with it.  It was funny to see the die-hard Amigans trying to pick faults with it: no Lightwave, no DPaint, only 32 "screens", all thw hile knowing that as an OS it was brilliant.

I had a carzy idea that Be could have simply bought out the Amiga name, stuck one of those "Amiga on a PCI card things" inside for those who wanted it, or provide some built in emulation

Offline Iggy

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;685193
... provide some built in emulation

BeUAE is available. Pity that no port outside of the PC version uses JIT.
Still, I'm really getting into this OS.
Its impressive.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;684979
haiku-os.org

This version appears to be PC related.
How difficult is it to get this running on a PPC?
How well does it support multiple cores?

Could this be recompiled for Acube or Aeon computers?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 04:35:23 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;685198
This version appears to be PC related.
How difficult is it to get this running on a PPC?
How well does it support multiple cores?

Could this be recompiled for Acube or Aeon computers?
Rather frustratingly, the Haiku team has decided not to make any attempt to support other architectures until they've gotten to a 1.0 release; therefore, the early ports to PPC and other systems have been languishing for quite some time...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:45 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685202
Rather frustratingly, the Haiku team has decided not to make any attempt to support other architectures until they've gotten to a 1.0 release; therefore, the early ports to PPC and other systems have been languishing for quite some time...

That kind of stinks.
With the new e6500 core Qorlq processors and their abundance of cores, this could get really neat.

How is it that there are proposals to  do an ARM port, but not a port to a platform that is more closely associated with BeOS?
After all, other then X86, I can't think of any other BeOS ISA.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;685203
That kind of stinks.
With the new e6500 core Qorlq processors and their abundance of cores, this could get really neat.

How is it that there are proposals to  do an ARM port, but not a port to a platform that is more closely associated with BeOS?
After all, other then X86, I can't think of any other BeOS ISA.

IMHO, it's because they're developing an OS, not custom hardware, and quite frankly, why would you?

Doing x86 is a good way to add to your developer and user base.  ARM is hot right now so getting those developers and users is a plus.

Most users upgraded from their PPC Macs and don't intend to go back to lesser machines.  To most of the world they're relics like 486's, a curiosity from the days of dial-up.

Current and presumably future PPC designs are 99% crippled embedded devices or undocumented hardware like consoles that have to be hacked to be useful.  The other 1% are largely being used by us.

I can't really fault their plans and it seems to be working exceptionally well.