Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Space propulsion  (Read 3934 times)

Description:

Offline NickTopic starter

• Show all replies
Space propulsion
« on: February 28, 2004, 12:56:22 PM »
Hello. I`m designing a space craft for a large animation I`m planning on making. Its a Search And Rescue (SAR) type craft. Just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how I could make it VTOL? I first thought of rocket motors, because they`re starting to "come back into fashion" at the moment. But then I thought, that wouldn`t work because you`d fry anybody you`re rescuing. :-)

Any of you know if Ion drives would work? I know they`re good in space, but what about in an atmosphere? Could they be developed to provide enough thrust? and would it harm anybody under it?

I`m trying to make the animation fairly believable. If Ion drives are good enough in an atmosphere, that would solve my other problem. Getting out of the atmopshere. I don`t want loads of different engines. The craft isn`t supposed to be huge, or travel huge distances anyway (in space terms anyway).

I was thinking of Ion in space, Some sort of efficient jet for cruising and hovering in an atmosphere and an efficient rocket for exiting a planets gravity, but 3 engines!? A tad complex!

Any idea?

Thanks
Nick

• Show all replies
Re: Space propulsion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 01:40:24 PM »
Hehe I did think of that. this thing is sort of supposed to be helicopter like.

Sod it I`ll invent technology. :-D Some sort of Ion type drive, which works in all situations, end some sort of cold jet engine. Perfect! :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 12:03:39 AM »
All interesting thoughts. I`m not trying to go for the ultimate spacecraft really. I want it to be almost basic, but futuristic at the same time. Functional yet cool too. I`ve made the basic fuselage. Sort of helicopter like, as its an SAR craft. Got most of the design ready to be modelled. I want to get this craft right. Even designed its interior, well roughly.

This animation is going to need many many more craft and other models made. Can`t wait! :-)

Thanks for the ideas.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 08:23:25 PM »
@asian1

Lighter than air wouldn`t look so cool, unless is was cunningly shaped out of polystyrene and had a hollow core filled with Helium :-D

I forgot about those laser engines. I saw a program about those a while ago. Quite restricting really. And they don`t produce cool looking flames. I`m not going for the Startrek look. Thrusters all over the place.

I`ve just about created the basic, functioning exterior. Can`t wait to complete this animation, so i can show it off :-)