Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Computer illiteracy.  (Read 4184 times)

Description:

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
Re: Computer illiteracy.
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 17, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;622522
I've often felt the same towards the tech support monkeys at various places I've worked.... "You can't code, this makes you no better than the users you despise so much. Now shut the feck up Mr Point'n'Click admin!"

Don't get me started on those "programmers" who are scared of curly braces......

/rant
So I take it you're one of those old stooges who brag about programming mainframes with punchcards back in the 60's, but who still can't figure out how to update his Java VM, and keeps yelling that I need to talk slower? ;)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
Quote from: whabang;622542
So I take it you're one of those old stooges who brag about programming mainframes with punchcards back in the 60's, but who still can't figure out how to update his Java VM, and keeps yelling that I need to talk slower? ;)

They were still doing things that way when I worked for Farranti at the start of the 80s and these were mainframes being sold to the British Ministry Of Defence... :eek:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »
Those terms are so last decade, you should say swipe, pinch and unpinch....

Quote from: nicholas;622522
I've often felt the same towards the tech support monkeys at various places I've worked.... "You can't code, this makes you no better than the users you despise so much. Now shut the feck up Mr Point'n'Click admin!"

Don't get me started on those "programmers" who are scared of curly braces......

/rant
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Franko

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:15 PM »
Quote from: persia;622558
Those terms are so last decade, you should say swipe, pinch and unpinch....

Those are the same terms folks used on that adult chat site I used to visit... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 01:31:48 AM »
Quote from: whabang;622542

Nope, there is nothing tech support monkeys can do for me that I can't do for myself.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »
Quote from: runequester;622055
[rant on]
I dont expect people who dont care about computers to really be familiar with them.
I particularly dont expect people who dont use a computer to be familiar with one.

What I do expect is that if your day to day life or work involves a computer, then you damn well better figure it out.

Whats worse is that with a lot of people, it has gone from "I have no idea but I am trying to learn" to being proud of their ignorance and refusal to ever learn.

Try working in an IT dept, one starts to loose hair very quickly. No it's nothing like the IT Crowd bummer :/
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline whabang

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;622675
Nope, there is nothing tech support monkeys can do for me that I can't do for myself.
If only the customers I support had the ability to generate RMA numbers! :(

Offline whabang

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
Quote from: Franko;622556
They were still doing things that way when I worked for Farranti at the start of the 80s and these were mainframes being sold to the British Ministry Of Defence... :eek:
Yelling and telling people to talk slower?

Offline Franko

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Quote from: whabang;622769
Yelling and telling people to talk slower?

Pardon... slow down a bit and speak up laddie, can't understand a ruddy word your saying here... (one day I'll buy a new battery for this ruddy hearing aid)... pardon... quarter past two... :D

Offline whabang

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
Yeah, that's what you get for working with punch cards. Some of those machines are incredibly noisy!

I'm happy I've never been working with anything that didn't at least have some kind of magnetic storage. :D