Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DOpus for Windows  (Read 7762 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: DOpus for Windows
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 02:22:13 PM »
One thing I found irritating about the default config was that it didn't replicate the appearance settings that the user has set up already in Windows.

I think I'll reinstall but with the minimal version, as I have no need for the image/audio preview stuff really.

Explorer memory usage is 2MB lower than usual, which is nice.  However Dopus uses ~12MB :-)

Slightly irritating, the draconian contact scheme on their website, so I can't contact them suggesting that they should include simultaneous FTP transfers...

Offline Erwin-K

• Show only replies by Erwin-K
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »
When the Win version was first released I noted that the default config made it look like Explorer so as not to scare Windows lemmings away.  Is that still true?

Now and then at work I fire up Amiga Forever to use the V5x Opus that comes with it. (Or even DirMaster.)  If your WinBox is fast enough this beats the @#$%*! out of Explorer.
Best,

Bob Kennedy

Offline duesi

• Show only replies by duesi
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2004, 03:37:14 PM »
I use it on my Wintendo too
and I like it... But I'm also a DOpus 4.x fan :-)
A4000D CS060/MKII with SCSI, CV64/4MB, 128MB Fast, ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE,80GB Samsung HDD, Yamaha CDRW, XSurf2, OS3.9BB2
A500,1MB Chip Kick1.3/3.1,GVP A500+ 540MB HDD and 8MB Fast,GVP DSS 8Bit Sampler

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2004, 05:42:35 PM »
DOpus on Win-DOHS is lacking when compared to the Amiga version.  However, after using DOpus on Win-DOHS, I would never dream of using the built-in Windows Explorer (read: Exploder) program ever again.  Having dual-lister capability and FTP built in is a significant productivity booster at my job.
Michael

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2004, 06:46:53 PM »
Dopus pc version is fantastic!

I use it everyday to replace Windows explorer, Ftp clients and picture viewers.

The thing i like the most is the capability to view Amiga icons!

Its fast enough and more convenient than windows explorer.

Great!  :-)
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2004, 08:39:23 PM »
It is somewhat difficult to configure, but the results are worth it. I'm quite reliant on it now.

For a DOpus 4 feel, I recommend Magellan Explorer as well.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2004, 12:34:52 AM »
WHY was there NEVER anything like this for Mac OS 9 and back? Mac OS is sooooo clunky and un-organized, I'd would think that someone would have came up with a interface replacement like Dopus for it a long time before they ever thought of doing a Winblows one.

Dopus for Winblows is ok, but I definatly don't feel like I am using Amiga DOpus at all, infact I'd say as an XP user that I prefer Explorer as it is as apposed to Dopus. Amiga needed it because it could not fully multi-task without it, but Winblows is fine on its own at this point.

As for Amiga's Dopus  Magellan: I LOVED IT!!! Dopus 4 is a nice tool, but Magellan rocks, too bad my floppy died, I am not ready to fork out cash for another.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:01 AM »
Hey guys. Thanks to this post i downloaded a version of dopus for my windows7.

At first it took a while to get used to it but i have always wanted a dual plane file system. I'm always swapping files from my usb stick onto my pc so the dual plane Dopus is very useful. I love it. Although i think it is way too complicated but maybe i'm just too used to windows explorer.

However after finding out that i have to spend $90 for a full version and not the trial i would have to say nay. I can't justify that kind of money just for a file system only marginally better than explorer.

Does anyone know a free or at least cheaper dual plane file system i could try?

While i'm at it does anyone know an alternative to windows briefcase? The idea sounds extremely useful to me as i'm always swapping files from one pc to another.  I've been trying off and on for years to make briefcase work smoothly but i have now given up. It's easier to just manually update my files. In reality my files are a mess! Any ideas?   :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Cool_amigaN

• Show only replies by Cool_amigaN
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »
I have started using DOpus on various Win machines around 2002 . Personally, it is the only way of using Windows. Some of the most useful features I have found for me are:

Totally Customizable (fonts, colors, background, sounds, folder views, floating toolbars, Office Toolbar and many many more, literally everything can be amended to suit your personal needs even the way of clicking i.e. 1 click instead of 2 or power mode or copying. It has TONS of preferences to be changed!)
Double click on desktop brings forth DOpus
Horizontal + Vertical Dual Tabbed Listing + Tree View
Ultra Fast Search Routines
Finds Duplicate Files + Folders
Faster CopyCut Routines + Displays bandwidth when transferring files
Faster AVI + Image Thumbnail Views + AVI Preview
Embedded Video + Audio + Image Player
Ultra Fast Big Folder (over 500GB!) Browsing
Can Display Amiga Icons (especially useful for browsing local amiga drawers for emulation purposes or transferring files between Amiga and a PC)
It requires the minimum of your computing resources
Rock Solid (It has never failed cause of crash when doing work for almost 8 years now!)

Ok, above are some of the features that I like the most.

DOpus for Win is like DOpus for the Amiga but on steroids. It is has "degraded" to an explorer replacement and not a "windows" replacement just as it was a workbench replacement on the Amiga i.e. it doesn't take control of control panel, desktop etc.

The only negative is the big, imo, amount of money they request.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:41:53 AM by Cool_amigaN »

Offline Merc

• Show only replies by Merc
    • http://chebucto.ns.ca/~ah210/Profile.html
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
Quote from: melott;79581
I haven't used Dopus for Windows,but I do
use a prg. that you probably haven't heard of.

I use 'FilesWorks32'.
A friend of mine, an ex-Amiga programer wrote it.
He moved over to the PC in about 1992.

FileWorks was one of the first prgs. he wrote
for Windows.
I beta tested and offered suggestions, the
objective was to do as close a clone of Dopus_4
as possible.
I never use the 'My Computer' for file handling.
I'd be lost without FileWorks.
If anybody is interested, I'll see if I can
dig up a Demo.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that -- is your friend by any chance the author of DirWork on Amiga?

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;592169

Does anyone know a free or at least cheaper dual plane file system i could try?

Total commander :http://www.ghisler.com/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:10:59 PM by stefcep2 »

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
I didn't try the Windows version of DOpus, but my personal opinion is that isn't so necessary unless you're doing very "hard file management": I'm used to use DOpus on the Amiga, but under Windows XP I'm pretty happy with its cut/paste/preview capabilities.

I was worried when I approached Win world not to find a proper DOpus substitute, but I didn't need it.

Well I'm not using Explorer with its uncomfortable tree-styled window, but just cut & paste with two open windows, and this is more than comfortable for moving pictures/video/other stuff around the hard disk.
Anyway for renaming lots of files I use other tools, and for viewing images I use the good freeware program Irfanview.

Going a bit off-topic, I think the reason we use DOpus on the Amiga is because Workbench, in its basic implementation (without special add-ons), is far for being comfortable about copying, renaming, getting info.

In a future release of the Amiga OS (hopefully for 68k - read AfA-AROS) I would really love to have an improved Workbench with preview capabilites (eg. through datatypes), functional tools for renaming, copying and so on.
...something like a small thumbnail in the window, like WinXP, but without the useless option placed on top (eg. publish on the Web, delete, etc.); maybe even using an external preview window, something like a minimal Multiview AppIcon... just an idea...

Pretty much following the Scalos way, or even DOpus Magellan (I bought it but at that time, I didn't like it that much - not very reactive even on my A4000 040/25 with Picasso IV).

Of course I understand some of the features would require some more processing power (eg. for previewing), but times are different from the past.

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
I've tried Dopus for Windows but still default back to Total Commander. Whenever setting up a new Total Commander is usually the first utility I install. I'vre tried a few other file managers but still go back to using Total Commander. All Total Commander upgrades are free and the initial price is reasonable. (I've been using it for more than 10 years.)

Offline motrucker

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
Has anyone tried Servant Salamander?  I like the old (really old) free version the best. It is more of a Disk Master 2 clone for Windows.

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page29.html

This is the oldest version I can find - but I like 1.0 better. If I can find it, I'll post it...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
I wrote my own,  dual pane manager, embedded lua for scriptability. Runs on Linux + Windows. I still maintain and work on it. source is on gitorious. compiles as console or as 'gui' mode app (gui mode emulates console in window so looks the same).
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 16, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
DOpus on Windows is really nice, I used it on and off with the trial periods.

If it was cheaper, I would have bought it, but they are pricing themselves about twice too high.

Explorer just isn't bad enough to replace it with something that costs almost as much as Windows itself.