Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Vampire] OS3.x VS AROS  (Read 1493 times)

Description:

Offline HaukeVB

• Show all replies
Re: [Vampire] OS3.x VS AROS
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:33:20 PM »
As a developer, I agree, we should go all in for AROS.

For one, it is open-source. This is a really important for a developer. It helps in understanding the OS and it gives security.

Also, being able to have a powerful development machine (i.e. a fast PC) can really improve software quality.

All the effort put into AROS and applications for AROS help AOS4 and MorphOS anyway (as long as these efforts are open-sourced as well).

However, as I understand, Vampire V2 gives you 128MB of memory. This is very little for todays needs.

I would want to see a JDK 8 port for AROS, but that seems just not feasible on 68k (There is JAmiga 2 for AOS4). If we had 4GB, we could bring most modern applications to the Amiga, but I do not know if this is possible on 68k. And this is holding me back... big time :nervous:
| A1500, 2630, Merlin, XCalibur, Nexus, Emplant, 2320...

Offline HaukeVB

• Show all replies
Re: [Vampire] OS3.x VS AROS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:03 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;804506
Then, I would suggest that the vampire core should also go Open Source, don't you? After all, this is then a rather unfair game. Vampire as a closed source product depending on the work of open source developers, work that is required to run it and *sell it*?

I agree, that it should be open-source. You can still make money of open-source, lot's of companies do!

The problem I have with open source is that it's mainly driven by making its developers happy. So nice software interfaces, nice code and so on. Not by making its users happy, which is something different. There is no, or only little target driven development.

I do not see the connection of open-source and usability. That all depends on the project and the kind of software. I do agree, that it is more difficult to achieve user-friendliness, but that is also true in closed-source development within a team of developers.

But what you fail to see is one very important issue: Survival of Code.

All closed source code is bound to fail with any system change. The developer looses interest, or might even die. Then, the ideas and solutions are lost to us as a comunity. Only open-source ensures the work endures and enables the platform to go on, long after all of us have gone.

Yet, I would want to go even further. I would like to see as many hardware designs open-sourced as possible. We are entering the truly golden age of retro-computing. In a few years, we will be able to order one-off printed PCBs and if the designs were open sourced, one could maybe order a DKB memory expansion to a A2630...

We would have somthing new: Survival of Platform

But we cannot just recompile DPaint 4 if we like. Running an open source Os development that must run and support a huge library of closed source applications is something that looks like trouble for me.

We can recompile DPaint 1 and one day maybe DPaint 4 if the source is ever released. But that is exactly my point. We should try and get as much software open-sourced as possible, only then can we move forward.

But why, just tell me why? Why should the vampire replace your PC? Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. The PC is more powerful, faster, has all the applications, so why do you even want to start a competition? Amiga is exactly not about running a lookalike of the Windows Explorer on a 68K or a Java Applet (isn't that deprecated anyhow) in a browser.

Yes, you are 100% correct and I do agree with you, however, all this would be better than a closed source MorphOS or AOS4 system, where a company holds us at ransom.

All I am saying is, IF you do it, there is really no alternative to AROS...
| A1500, 2630, Merlin, XCalibur, Nexus, Emplant, 2320...