Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [Vampire] OS3.x VS AROS  (Read 1498 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: [Vampire] OS3.x VS AROS
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
Let's ask the MorphOS team to target the vampire instead of AMD64 for the next version and the Vampire guys to bundle a copy with each board sold. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »
Quote from: UberFreak;804499
Yes, but bundling it together with no other options, makes me have to participate in financing the KS license.
I already bought it more than once, dont feel like doing it again.

Also, I'd like to continue using my patched/enhanced KS.

No problem. When that time comes, the user can decide if he wants the new features, and then buy the updated KS.

Well, in my opinion the users should get the option to buy the product without bundled KS and load their own, knowing that certain features will not be available to them if they do so.

The laws that allow us to get a refund from Microsoft for the unwanted operating system sold with a computer we buy would also apply to the Vampire.

If there is not an option to buy it without KS3.1 then I'd ask for a refund under those laws as I already own several KS3.1 ROMs.

AFAIK even ACube issue a refund for the cost of OS4 if you buy a SAM and don't want the bundled OS.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;804520
As Hyperion is the only entity entitled to develop OS' based on 3.1 source code, an enhanced version of 3.1 from Cloanto would still have to carry an OS3.1 designation.
OS4 for the 68K does not seem that unrealistic if the processor is powerful enough.

AROS68K still is not quite 'done' yet (it has more than a few issues).

And frankly, I don't mind paying for another person's work, so NO open source is NOT a necessity.

As I understand it Cloanto owns the whole 3.1 IP and can do whatever they want with it.
Hyperion are merely a licencee of the code and the AmigaOS trademark.