Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odyssey Web Browser for AmigaOS & AROS, *DONATE NOW*!  (Read 13041 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show all replies
New payday, new donation! ;-)
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;752629
As this news item tells, there is a bounty open to release the MorphOS web browser Odyssey as open source so that it can be ported to AROS and OS4, including key functionality such as the capability to play HTML5 video.:cool:

This is a great opportunity for OS4 and AROS to get the same great, truly Amiga native web browsing experience as MorphOS has had since several years, and to support one of the community's best remaining developers in the process! :)

Some highlighted features:

• Based on r155188 WebKit (October 2013) or newer
  • Javascript, CSS, DOM, SVG, Unicode, SSL, ...
  • HTML5 Video / Audio support (Ogg / Theora, WEBM, MPEG4 / H264, MP3, AAC, WAV and other formats / codecs)
  • Antialiased fonts and kerning, font families and support for international charsets
  • MUI Interface
  • Multiple tabs and windows
  • Download manager with resume and history support
  • Password manager
  • Cookie manager
  • Messages console
  • Network connections manager
  • Session support
  • Form filling completion
  • Bookmarks
  • Fastlinks
  • History
  • Content blocking (AdBlock-like)
  • URL Completion
  • Configurable MIME types
  • Favicon support
  • Private Browsing
  • Per URL settings
  • Configurable contextual menus
  • Configurable search engines
  • Contextual cursors
  • Drag and Drop support
  • Clipboard support
  • Spell checking support (through spellchecker.library)
  • Fullscreen support
  • OpenURL/Rexx support
  • PDF export
  • Printing support
  • Plugin support
  • WebInspector (FireBug-like)
  • User scripting (GreaseMonkey-like)

In less than 24h after this news was posted, 42 people has already contributed $1,328 towards the bounty goal, meaning that ~18% of the bounty is already complete! :cool: So if you are a true fan of OS4 and/or AROS, make sure to put your name on the Wall of Fame at that bounty page, telling everyone that you helped making it real! :)

Go to http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/ and make your donation Now!

:knuddel:

:bump:

A little update! :)

Current status is:
   113 donors(!)
contributing with $3073(!)
meaning 41%(!) of the $7500 goal!

:pint:

So in very short time the bounty has come very far, which makes me think this bounty can easily be fulfilled! :D

This time of the month, most of us has got another paycheck and probably already paid the monthly bills as well. So if you have some money to spare, please consider kicking in some fresh dollars to the bounty stash! :)

Every little contribution counts!

Bigger contributions counts even more! :p ;)

A browser of Odyssey's caliber will mean *a lot* to the OS4, AROS and ARIX platforms, so if you have any feelings for these and want to strengthen their position by making it possible to port this great web browser to them, then show it to the community (and have your name put on the growing list of contributors!)

Let's at least push it past the 2/3 milestone this time!

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
Re: New payday, new donation! ;-)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
I've put my money where my mouth is, and donated once again, putting myself in 12th position in the donor's leader board.

Feel free to knock me downwards! ;)

http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/

• Show all replies
Re: New payday, new donation! ;-)
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;753617
I like a challenge... ;)

Allright! :)

And A-eon, you have been beaten by a dollar, how do you respond to that?

:D

• Show all replies
Re: Odyssey Web Browser for AmigaOS & AROS, *DONATE NOW*!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;752631
"But we already have 'MUI-OWB' for OS4"...?

No, what you have is a very ancient version of the browser now called Odyssey (version 1.9), and Odyssey has been updated 11 times since then, and this bounty will for the first time include key features that has been closed previously.

Odyssey is *very* actively developed!

The bounty also includes the optional condition:
   "If this project is successfully funded, and as long as the resulting ports stay true to the original version of the Odyssey Web Browser in terms of user experience and feature sets, Fabien Coeurjoly plans to share all source code that he will develop himself for future versions of Odyssey Web Browser for free."

And as he said at another site, he may accept code going the other way as well:

"I'll work on my private branch, and opensource new versions. I can integrate contributions, but only if they make sense. I don't want Odyssey to end like YAM, for instance..."

Just to illustrate how much work has gone into Odyssey since the OS4 port, I'm hereby posting the changelogs from all version from all versions post "1.9":

[removed two full posts of changelogs, read them above]

And the best just got a lot better!

Changes/improvements in the new Odyssey 1.21:

Core:
  • Updated to WebKit r155188 (October 2013) : big changes (and thus regressions :)) happened in many parts of WebKit since previous Odyssey release (clipboard, drag'n'drop, network, javascript, inspector, c++0x requirements, ...). They should hopefully all be addressed.
  • Updated to the new Webinspector layout.
  • Fixed the layout of the FTP listing, so that the rows don't use all the available vertical space.
  • Fixed a crash with self-disposing
  • Localstorage databases (conf/localstorage/#?.localstorage) were not released at exit, which prevented from deleting them manually.
  • Disabled non functional HTML5 MediaSource (it should help with some non-working YouTube links in HTML5 mode).
  • Fixed a bug with the "view source code" function that would sometimes just show a blank view.
  • The mimetype actions would not always be triggered properly in some cases (mainly because of redirections or content-disposition header). The response URL (or content-disposition filename if available) is now used when extension matching is needed.
  • Added more common mimetype extensions in mimetype default configuration.
  • Fixed a potential race condition at webview closing.

GUI:
  • Contextual cursor was sometimes not reset to normal cursor when leaving the webview area.
  • Added proxy support in network prefs section.
  • If webinspector is enabled, webinspector button is now also shown in navigation toolbar.
  • Added "TopSites" feature, showing most recently visited sites thumbnails. This page can be accessed from "topsites://" URL. Feel free to make suggestions about this new option. :)
  • Ambient deficons are now shown in file input controls (MorphOS 3.4+ required).
  • Ambient deficons are now shown in download manager lists (MorphOS 3.4+ required).
  • Select all the text in the search string when searching for text in a page.
  • Close google and history suggestion popup lists when the text is fully erased.
  • Added a "start downloads automatically" option, which allows to skip the file requester step.
  • Added a status icon to indicate if userscripts are running on a given page. The bubble help on this icon also shows which userscripts are actually running.
  • In bookmarks window, quicklinks favicons and URL are now displayed, to make it easier to create and identify title-less quick links.
  • Added support for multiple selection with file input elements.
  • Show FTP URL as window/tab title, instead of a blank title.
  • In image views, show the image filename instead of "unnamed title".
  • Implemented HTML5 ColorChooser dialog, using MUI Colorwheel.
  • Added a filename popup gadget for mimetype viewer.
  • Added a new page URL option (defaults to "topsites: / /").
  • Also show column number in javascript error/warning messages.

Media player:
  • Updated to ffmpeg from 27.11.2013.
  • Enabled support for VP9 codec.
  • Audio-only media could sometimes report a null duration : in practice, it fixes a hard crash with Facebook chat audio notifications.
  • Fixed a 32bits overflow with audio-only media: the visible effect was that the player would stop updating time controls at 2:32.
  • Added more sanity checks in ffmpeg support.

Network:
  • Reimplemented HTTP authentication to be more compliant. It should also fix a crash that happened when cancelling the authentication requester in some cases.
  • Added support for multipart contents.
  • Fixed potential crashes with data: URI handling.
  • Fixed an illegal memory access that would sometimes happen at exit, when FTP was used.

Spellchecker:
  • Misspelled words are now underlined in red instead of black.

Scripts:
  • Updated YouTube_Fullscreen_Fix.js: fullscreen mode should work again. It also replaces all youtube links in right column so that the page is reloaded when clicking them, allowing the script to be executed again.

This is a *real* browser, and it's a *real, native Amiga application*, the result of real, actual development! If you want to see this program opened up as open source, thus making it possible to port it to OS4 and AROS (and ARIX), please contribute to the bounty that will make this happen!

After only a month since the bounty was opened, it has already reached (almost) half way. If you have already donated, please consider chipping in a few more bucks. Because half way still means there is another half to overcome! And it's for a good cause; this application is what will make OS4 and AROS usable for real in a modern Internet context, probably there isn't any more essential must-have application than this one!

Personally, I *already have* Odyssey (and I don't have OS4), but still I have donated *a lot more* than most OS4 users (and I haven't actually donated particularly much money, only like $50 or so, which is peanuts for something like this). So to those of you who like OS4 (or AROS), don't let this opportunity slip you away! Pick up your wallets, and head over to:

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
Quote from: Rob;754237
Who is Timothy D on the list?

[SIZE=8]-Timmy![/SIZE][/B]

:cool: ;)

No seriously, I have no idea...

(No offense intended! )

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;754250
Isn't the lack of interest of donation and interest by community and desire to see this happen...is a great indication that the community itself does not care to see a good browser ported to the Amiga community? That they would rather use an ancient Ibrowser or AWeb from classical times and that they do not support AmigaOS 4.1 at all?

I mean...even if it is not true the lack of enthusiasm and the lack of donation from the Amiga community part itself...indicate so?

I am thinking here....the jack pot for success here is 7,500 dollars...that is the main goal, right? Well...assume there are very few people left in the Amiga community and majority have either died or moved on. Assume in the entire Amiga community in general there are just 1000 left...that is it...1000 left which combines the interest of the Amiga classic and new modern hardware in total..both for Amigaworld.net and Amiga.org combined there are 1000 people left in the community. If every single person donate 10 dollars you will get 10,000 donation that is more than the 7,500 and the goal would be met and the port will happen. But in total there are 120 people who donated...just 120...that shows very lack interest in this entire project.

Even if all the 1000 people who are left in this community donate 5 dollars you would still meet the goal requirement and the project will happen.

Am I missing something here? And by the way...I did donate myself so do not come at me in this angel. Maybe people do not believe AmigaOS 4.1 is a real AmigaOS and the hardware a real Amiga hardware and maybe people do not believe AmigaOS 4.1 is worthy of their time and money and would rather see this project in AmigaOS 3.9 and perhaps would rather see AmigaOS 4.1 be destroyed and die out with it's modern hardware and be still stuck in ancient old hardware that is over expense with lack of ability to do things in modern time...maybe. I am not so sure the reason  behind it.

Firstly, I don't really think it's going slow at all. We all know that this is a higher set bounty than this tiny community are used to. But in just one month(!), 129 people has collected $4,000 (just $19 short), or 53% of the entire bounty sum. I am actually quite impressed by this! I thought it would go much slower!

But I see what you mean. There aren't many OS4 users contributing, and most of those who do, only contribute with some $10-$20, some even single digit donations. I think this could be because of several reasons.

First, the OS4 community is perhaps a lot smaller today than we thought? OS4 seems mostly to be a discussion club over at AW.net, and we are many who has been completely surprised by the number of very vocal OS4 supporters who (as it later turned out) never even had an OS4 rig, but still talks about its superiority and yada yada everywhere.

Maybe that's not so strange either, come to think of it. OS4 and its HW has always had rather poor availability, the Teron boards were notoriously flawed (many stayed away from them) and über expensive (some who wanted one could not afford or would think it's worth it). Hence that one was kind of unavailable to many. And those systems are old/dying now, many who owned then has probably left the scene a long time ago. There was demand for second hand Pegasos 2's for a while from OS4 users, but the availability of those on the second hand market has also been relatively poor. The Sam 440 was terribly underpowered (Efika class CPU, albeit faster) and still not cheap, the Sam 460 reached almost the Pegasos 2 in performance (which wasn't particularly good at the time, and even less so today) but was very expensive for its performance level, and it had (and still have, I believe?) driver issues. So I suppose some people never considered those to be alternatives either. And it would be a difficult to even imagine a system that has been more out of peoples reach than the X1000. The poor HW situation that has always plagued OS4 must of course have had some effect on the size of the user base.

Another thing that may have caused people to simply leave, is the fact that development has been virtually non-existent for years. The few updates coming are of minor kind, like bugfixes. Many features that was promised many, many years ago has still not been developed. I think that at some point, people get tired of waiting, and leave. Ironically, a really good Web Browser like Odyssey, is a killer feature that would improve their experience a lot.

Another thing could be that OS4 people are exceptionally tight-fisted and stingy, and don't want to put their money where their mouths are. But OTOH, they filled a much larger bounty than this for the friedens to make a closed source port of the open source browser "Firefox" (with a terrible result, but that's a different story), so this can't be it.

Maybe it's simply down to that this is a bounty assigned to Fab (from the "not teh reeale!1!!" community) and not to "the holy Friedens"? Irrational, yes very! Possible, yes indeed. There also alsmost seems like some people don't want this bounty to succeed, like ddni in post #14 here, totally ignoring the fact that the bounty only had been open for a few weeks and the growth is steady. I mean, since that post a few days ago only, we are 6% and several hundreds of $ closer to the goal. "Stalled"? "No signs of growth"? Well, for some, that seems more like wishful thinking than the reality.

;)

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 01:38:08 PM »
BadaBAM!

A new Odyssey Bounty Milestone has been reached! :D

Yesterday we passed 50%, and just now someone (who is the lucky one?) paid the 4000th dollar to the stash! :)

Now we can reset our minds:

The price of releasing the Odyssey sources to the OS4 community has never been this cheap!

For only $3500 you could get the browser of your dreams, the #1 killer application your platform needs!

Don't make this opportunity for OS4 (and AROS and ARIX) slip away!

Donate NOW:

:knuddel: . http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/ . :knuddel:

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;754350
BadaBAM!

A new Odyssey Bounty Milestone has been reached! :D

Yesterday we passed 50%, and just now someone (who is the lucky one?) paid the 4000th dollar to the stash! :)

Now we can reset our minds:

The price of releasing the Odyssey sources to the OS4 community has never been this cheap!

For only $3500 you could get the browser of your dreams, the #1 killer application your platform needs!

Don't make this opportunity for OS4 (and AROS and ARIX) slip away!

Donate NOW:

:knuddel: . http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/ . :knuddel:

...and just a few hours later, the bounty has reached 55% / $4.102!

The OS4 and AROS (and ARIX) communities can now get access to the sources of the best Amiga web browser ever produced, for just a mere

$3.398

:cool:

Yes that's right, for just the price of one single X1000 system the entire community can get access to the biggest, best and most important key application!

This is huge! Donate now: http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;754364
there are no guarantees it will be easy to port specially if it uses closed sourced Morphos libs or what ever and we need to support the devs who are going to have to port it over and maintain it.

Odyssey uses MUI4, but that has been circumvented before by OS4 developers, and AROS as well for that matter (AFAIK, AROS has a more recent version of Odyssey than OS4 for some reason). And that is probably the thing, a real *developer* will most certainly be needed (as it won't be as simple as build it from some already existing make file on OS4, but it *has been* ported before, don't forget that), but surely that's no problem, right? Fab has a good and verifiable track record of helping both OS4 and AROS developers in their efforts of porting Odyssey to these respective platforms, and this was before anyone paid him a dime for anything. If the OS4 community can't put forward a developer with skills enough for making (and maintaining) a port, then the OS4 as a platform is kind of dead anyway. But I don't think that's the case. Think positive. The first step is getting access to the sources, and like with the Magellan bounty, only good things can happen after that! :)

Secondly a thread on Amigan which I think is why the whole project got going in the first place a few seem to question how the bounty was set up, there was some unanswered questions

Not correct, all questions has been answered, several times even (on many forums), and everything is crystal clear. Everybody knows perfectly what to expect, what is to be included, and what is not. And the things that aren't included shouldn't be a problem whatsoever for any developer skilled enough to port and maintain Odyssey. It's all open and freely available, and as I said earlier, Fab has answered questions before.

But then there is a certain level of FUD produced by some, which is kind of surprising if you ask me. But perhaps not really after all, considering the people who is spreading it. You see, there seems to be some animosity coming from some against this project, and considering the sources (the people behind it) and their historical agendas, I can only draw the conclusion that this project is "bad" because it competes with the "Timberwolf" from the Friedens (which is "good"). I think that's all, really.

I won't bother telling you why this attitude is sad, and why it will ultimately just bite themselves in their ar$es.

and questing of the amount

There is absolutely *nothing* to be said about the amount. NOTHING! This is a *genuine* Amiga development, a real native application of the more heavy kind that we simply don't even see in the Amiga world today, and it's *not* to be confused with some half-arsed Linux port of some existing application!

Odyssey is the result of several years of real developments, and if you would put a true market price on that amount of work for a developer in the developed world, this bounty amount is a *blasphemy*! Also, remember that the Friedens got a lot more for a lot less, and what they did for their money was to close the sources of an *open source* project, and the level of their product is nothing but *shameful*! So don't talk about "questioning of the amount" here, please...

But again I thought no matter what Fab for his work in 1.19 release deservers some respect and a donation for his efforts so I hope the bounty does reach the target and he gets his reward, I really hope all this money however isn't locked up in the bounty for years to come like some others.

Indeed! :) (The current version of Odyssey is 1.21 though, and the version OS4 has is "1.09", twelve(!) versions behind, and it doesn't have the multimedia (etc) stuff!)

PS: where both speculating as to why not more people have donated there are even more likly reasons not even brought up, not everyone has or trusts pay pal accounts, people dont like putting money into bounties, people might think its too much, people might not like the terms, people might be happy with what they got, people might not simple able to afford to give anything.....

Hey, anyone who doesn't live in a clay hut with straw roof, providing for a family of 15 children by herding sheep on a stony rock hillside, can afford to "risk" $20! There is no excuse, really! Especially not for a community that celebrates $3,000+ computer systems as the way towards a glorious future!

So come on now, AmigaNG! *I* have put in more than a hundred dollars in order to bring *you* a 2013 level of web browsing experience, and I don't even have/use OS4! I'm currently unemployed, I have a 1.5 year old to provide for, Christmas is coming, and in Mars/April we will get a second child. That's all true! So let us see *at least* $20 from you, it's for a good cause, you won't die if you lose it, and you would win a lot if the thing comes true. Come on, it's for *your* platform-of-choice's survival, so please go to...

...and put in (at least) a twenty!

Merry Christmas!

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 12:08:21 AM »
@Jose, eliyahu

Quote from: eliyahu;754393
so probably, but no guarantees.

Given Fab's track record in the history, when he received *no money from anyone* for his work and *still* helped OS4/AROS developers to port *his* work to their platforms, *I* would like to rephrase that to something like:

"Certainly as long as the resulting ports stay true to the original version of the Odyssey Web Browser in terms of user experience and feature sets, but if the sources are used to create some kind of *fork bastard* like the OS4 version of SFS, then I might pull the plug on future source releases".

But *please note* that this entire statement (*especially* the last part after that comma sign) is *my* words, and *not* Fab's!

Come to think of it, I don't think his words needs any "re-intrepretations" at all!

It's all spelled out clearly in the bounty conditions (which is the *only* thing one should consider, and *not* whatever stuff in various forums (including this post)), under the "Optional" part:

"If this project is successfully funded, and as long as the resulting ports stay true to the original version of the Odyssey Web Browser in terms of user experience and feature sets, Fabien Coeurjoly plans to share all source code that he will develop himself for future versions of Odyssey Web Browser for free."

I think those are very fair conditions!

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
2/3 !

Only 33% to go now!

For only $2553 the community will get access to the sources of the best Amiga browser!

It's close now. Can this happen before 2013 ends?

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
Who said that this bounty was stalled and abandoned?!

:lol:

70% now, and only $2278 remains! (Edit: Andre was faster! :))

Go here...

...and put in a nice little Christmas Gift for the entire Amiga Platform!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:39:05 AM by takemehomegrandma »

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
An even $5,500 reached now (73%).

Only $2000 remains!

:cool: :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;755040
2/3 !

Only 33% to go now!

For only $2553 the community will get access to the sources of the best Amiga browser!

It's close now. Can this happen before 2013 ends?

Holy crap Batman!

3/4 !

Already! :)

Only a quarter left now!

• Show all replies
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;755353
Knowing that we are supporting a browser for the Amiga that finally allows us to view all flash pages 100% like Windows 7 and Windows 8

If you are talking about Odyssey here, this is unfortunately not true.

• Show all replies
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 25, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Only $1580 left!

Go to http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/ and make your donation Now!