Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Silicon Graphics support  (Read 2819 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Silicon Graphics support
« on: August 07, 2003, 06:59:24 AM »
Since SG Machines are not built  a dime a dozen like most PC, and seing that Amiga has its roots in multi-media (where it should still be), having direct support for SG Machines to add next to the Amiga One on the list. Imagine the possabilities, Amiga could be the key tool in Movie Making, 3D Modeling, and Video/Audio editing again!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Silicon Graphics support
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 07:09:26 AM »
Well, the SGI is cool, and I'd love to have AmigaOS 4 for my Octane......  I just don't think there's a ton of market to let that happen, though.  Especially for all the work that would have to be done.  Those SGIs aren't meant to boot anything other than IRIX.  Even Linux isn't exactly a cakewalk...  Let alone a different closed, proprietary OS.  

Besides...  While some SGI systems are on the very cheap nowadays...  There are some key hardware bits still grabbing HUGE prices...  Look for a Personal Video Option (EVO) lately?  cheapest I've seen one is $900+....  At that price... I'd rather have a toaster/flyer, and keep a few hundred bucks.  ;-)

Offline shIva

• Show only replies by shIva
    • http://preshi.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 09:53:30 AM »
next thing to come is, that sgi has a completly different cpu architecture (afaik R10000) which needs crosscompiling, etc.
shIva
the answer is [color=CC3300]42[/color] Support  Distributed Amiga - moo ;)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 10:45:57 AM »
Abosolutly no reason why you can't port AROS to an SGI machine.

We have recently been disscusing the posibility of an AROS port to the PS2, which uses the MIPS architeture... like SGI machines...

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 10:55:32 AM »
SGI's are out dated and Linux is taking over most production houses... the current generation SGI workstations reflect the companies skeleton of what it used to be...dual/quad xeons and MP-Athlons stomp on SGI's highest workstation offerings in everything except I/O and with Athlon-64's comming out ... the future is even more dim... in short... sgi's are going out the window at most production houses in favor of Linux machines ... Softimage|XSI (runs on linux) Softimage|3D 4.0 (runs on Linux), Maya? (runs on Linux), Luxology even mentioned modo for Linux...so future Lightwave replacement for Linux! yipee... Amazon 2D/3D (run on Linux)... sgi's dont sport much in the way of apps to keep people comming back ...its mostly legacy codebase keeping them alive at all and thats bieng migrated... it's a pity it really is about sgi... they  where wonderful, extremely overpriced systems for their time... but I cant say I'm sad to see them go because Linux will get their apps  and the 'middle end" will thrive in their place.... affordable PC/Mac/Pegasos? workstations with lots of power and plenty of apps...thats what I'd like to see for the future of content creation...not extremely expensive (the point of insanity litterly) systems nobody can afford...and AOS4 on SGI?... that hardware is so freaky and complex I cant imagine it...