Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga site?  (Read 4478 times)

Description:

New Amiga site?
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:02:16 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a question.  Over the last few years, I've picked up several Amiga related domain names and simply held on to them since my original intent was to put them to good use for the Amiga community.

Right now, two of them, amigaos.info and amigade.info are coming up for renewal.  Rather than simply paying the renewal for no real benefit, I've been wondering what exactly I could/should do with them.

With the pending release of AmigaOS 4 (date still unknown), I thought I would ask you guys for an opinion.  If we were able to build a new site as a central repository of information for AmigaOS, what do you think should be posted there to differentiate it from the other sites out there?  I know we should consider posting bugfixes, patches and the like, but what else?

Amiga.org has served the classic community well over the last ten years, but has seemingly become distracted from it's purpose.  We could rebuild Amiga.org from the ground up, refocusing on the way things should be, or we can add on a new site to hold information and other stuff related to the pending AmigaOne platform.  So, a bigger question is, which way should we go, or should we bother doing anything?

Wayne

Offline TjLaZer

Re: New Amiga site?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 01:51:53 AM »
When did Amiga.org open up in 1994???  I only stumbled upon it a few years ago...
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 02:00:34 AM »
Development of the original site began and permissions were secured from then-current (but only for about two more weeks as it turned out) Commodore personnel in mid-to-late 1994.  We opened the doors on April 27th, 1995.  Back then, PHP and most other languages either didn't exist, or were in their infancy.  HTML itself was pre-1.0 and it was a really cool thing waiting with baited breath for HTML 1.0 to become standardized.

Internet Explorer didn't exist and even Netscape (such as it were) didn't even really have a foothold.

Offline Debaser

• Show only replies by Debaser
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 02:14:14 AM »
Wayne,

I think the idea of having information repository relating to Amiga OS is a very good one. I belive other sites are out there that have similar goals in mind but never seem to take off. With Amiga.org's namesake and its collection of great amiga-minded folks you could build one heck of a knowledgebase. Any ideas as to how it would take shape?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
So, a bigger question is, which way should we go, or should we bother doing anything?

You have to go by your heart Wayne. If it's in your heart, go for it. Will it be appreciated? By a small percentage it would be extremely appreciated, possibly even fanatically so(and I don't mean that in a bad way in this instance). On a whole though it would probably be met with apathy, this thread is a good example what I mean.

Follow your heart, if you have a strong interest in the A1/OS4 go for it. But only do it for yourself at this point, if you do. Just my $0.02.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 01:07:06 PM »
amigaos.info and amigade.info are coming up for renewal

Drop them, they are using up valuble A.org resources :-D

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 11:41:42 PM »

Wayne wrote:
 So, a bigger question is, which way should we go, or should we bother doing anything?

Humpfff.. If it was my decision, I`d dump the unused domain names and look at putting the new ideas into a sub-site with it`s own identity. Maybe even sharing the login, so people could log into amiga.org, browse about etc, then head off to os4.amiga.org and do whatever over there with the same username & pm box etc.

As for Amiga.org, I love it the way it is..warts and all.
I know Wayne has made it no secret that he dislikes the coffee house forums, but I think they`re an invaluable part of the site, as it acts as a sandpit to keep all the religious& political rants out of the main Amiga forums, and gives space for everyone to get to know everyone a bit better.
 I dunno, they just make the site feel alive, instead of a sterile "Amiga-holics" meeting place.
On schedule, and suing

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 11:50:38 PM »
I myself fall in the apathy-category redrum mentioned. I'm basically waiting for OS4 to be released for BlizPPC, then again I'm not sure I won't sell the bugger even beforehand if it takes much longer :-/.

So at this point I can't say I'm really that interested in OS4 specific sites, hopefully that will change in the near future (Real Soon Now).

Offline yogisumo

• Show only replies by yogisumo
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 12:19:21 AM »
I vote to keep it all in one place.  Keep classic and new Amiga on one site but have different forums, areas for specific info.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 01:03:21 AM »
Internet Explorer didn't exist and even Netscape (such as it were) didn't even really have a foothold.
Ah yes, the days of Mosaic.

By chance, are there any old screen shots of that old incarnation (the web site I mean, who cares about Mosaic? ;-) )?

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 01:08:53 AM »
Oh, as for what to do.... It's tough. The cost of renewing isn't that high, right? But then, will there ever be a time when you'll actually need them? Probably not. Even if interest soars with OS4, I think Amiga.org will serve the community well. Is there any reason why A.org couldn't fill the roles of those other domains?

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Bezzen

• Show only replies by Bezzen
    • http://www.streammountain.se
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 01:32:39 AM »

Right now, two of them, amigaos.info and amigade.info are coming up for renewal. Rather than simply paying the renewal for no real benefit, I've been wondering what exactly I could/should do with them.

This is a bit OT but I never quite understood why Amiga Inc didn't use the address amiga.de (which they own and simply point to the .com) for the AmigaDE site. It would have made sense in my world, at least until they renamed it to AmigaAnywhere.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 02:59:02 AM »
Ah, the good old days of NCSA Mosaic.

Offline fragment

• Show only replies by fragment
    • http://www.fragment.fi/
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline Bodie_CI5

• Show only replies by Bodie_CI5