Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240289 times)

Description:

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show all replies
Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« on: October 08, 2018, 02:44:58 AM »
With the new Intuition.library, there is one (to me) odd limitation - even though one can pull windows off-screen, the size of window is still limited by the size of screen.
This is correct and intentional. Otherwise, you could move the window in such a way that you cannot reach controls anymore.

This same rule apples on Windows. You can manually size a window only to the maximum screen size. *Programmatically* you can make the window much larger but as has been mentioned this does introduce usability issues.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »
This same rule apples on Windows.
Since when was following Windows' example a good thing? There is no such limitations in macOS or any other desktop I'm using, and strangely enough, there are no problems with "unreachable controls", so I am curious on exactly how one would manage to move windows in a way so that window gadgets would really become unreachable. Anyways, I hope it will be possible to turn off this feature (IControl prefs), as my "amiga workflow" is very much accustomed to windows being limited by the screen border (and if I could request a feature, it would be to have another hotkey for grabbing and moving windows without having to use titlebar - then it would be possible to move windows in a way so that control gadgets would be unreachable.)

Tell that to my support team who regularly field support calls from users messing up and putting their window titlebars outside of a clickable area (i.e. off the top of the screen). There are "power users" (most users in these forums) that have a clue, and then there is Joe Average who would have no idea how to deal with a window bigger than the screen. These types of UI decisions are difficult - do you annoy the power users but keep the other 99% from getting into trouble, or do you make the power users happy but end up with loads more support calls and confusion.

I deal with this type of issue all the time in my day job, "dumbing things down" is a necessary evil if you want your support staff and costs to stay sane.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »
There is no new ROM for 3.1.4.1. Anything beyond 3.1.4.1 if there may be a new ROM will still be shipped with intuition v40 as cybergraphics is incompatible and we cannot fix that.

Have you considered shipping the new intuition in ROM and making some sort of patch available for cybergraphics compatibility instead? i.e. something that patches in the old v40 intuition? This could be an option at the time of installing 3.1.4.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
Have you considered shipping the new intuition in ROM and making some sort of patch available for cybergraphics compatibility instead? i.e. something that patches in the old v40 intuition? This could be an option at the time of installing 3.1.4.
And how exactly should I create such patches? And how ship them? We don't have sources for CyberGraphics, leave alone any rights on it. CyberGraphics depends critically on the stack layout and register allocation of the old GreenHill compiler, running only on old Sun Sparcs, as soon as you compile the old code with a new compiler, CyberGfx does no longer work.

If you want intuition v45 in ROM, write Frank Mariak to update CyberGraphics. I'm happy to help, deliver test versions to him, or add hooks for CyberGraphics to receive intuition internal information, with all the blessings from Hyperion. But I,  personally, will not touch CyberGraphics. It's Frank's code, not mine.

Hi Thomas - I wasn't suggesting to patch CyberGraphics... instead some sort of run-time patch to intuition to slot in V40 or some sort of interface patch to make it work with CyberGraphics. It seems a shame to hold back a nicely updated intuition for a 'dead' set of third-party libraries.