Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using a Squirrel SCSI Interface with latest 52x CD-ROM's  (Read 1057 times)

Description:

Offline StevenJGoreTopic starter

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
Using a Squirrel SCSI Interface with latest 52x CD-ROM's
« on: April 30, 2003, 03:33:50 PM »
Any reason why a modern 52-speed IDE CD-ROM drive inserted into an external SCSI case wouldn't work with a Squirrel SCSI interface connected to an A1200?

Apologies for my sudden barrage of recent new topics on these forums, but I have just started to get back into the Amiga scene after an absence of nearly eight years, and I am finding these forums to be an excellent place to brush up my knowledge!  :-)

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Using a Squirrel SCSI Interface with latest 52x CD-ROM's
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 04:31:41 PM »
There's no reason why it wouldn't work, as long as it had the 50pin centronics interface the Squirrel uses. Wouldn't be fast though. I had a SCSI CD-ROM myself - it could do 2MB/s on my BPPC SCSI, but only 0.8KB/S on my Squirrel. It was also a CPU hog on the Squirrel.

Offline StevenJGoreTopic starter

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 04:40:18 PM »
The manual for the Squirrel SCSI claims it will do 3MB/s transfer with a 68030 processor, or 2MB/s with a 68020. But then I've never trusted manufacturers claims!

If my external SCSI case was 68-pin, I assume that I could use a lead to convert it to the Squirrel's 50-Pin, and it would still work?

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 04:43:27 PM »
The manual for the Squirrel SCSI claims it will do 3MB/s transfer with a 68030 processor, or 2MB/s with a 68020. But then I've never trusted manufacturers claims!

Wise! There's no way a squirrel will do 3MB/s, even on an 060. PCMCIA is too damn slow and CPU hungry.

If my external SCSI case was 68-pin, I assume that I could use a lead to convert it to the Squirrel's 50-Pin, and it would still work?

Yes. SCSI is backward compatible. Be careful to get the right one, though.

Offline MikesterBrau

• Show only replies by MikesterBrau
    • http://www.bardstavern.net
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 04:47:34 PM »
Welcome back.  

The problem you are going to have is related to the hardware oriented nature of scsi; the controller has in effect a cpu which responds to scsi commands embedded into the controller/processor, the ide device will not be able to responds to these commands.  Also at issue is of course the pinouts/assignments.  IDE is a 40 pin layout whereas scsi can be anywhere from 25pin to 80pin and both standards support some scenarios where you have power over the cable.  The good news is that you may have some options with the IDE device but if all you want is the cd rom drive the solutions are  probably cost prohibitive.  Just a bit of advice, some CD rom drives you max transfer rates in quoting speeds when what you should really be interested in is a figuire of sustained performance in terms of real usuability some of the 32 and 40X scsi cd roms are hard to beat.  Hope this helps.
/V\\\\i/{ester /}rau

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 05:34:17 PM »

StevenJGore wrote:
Any reason why a modern 52-speed IDE CD-ROM drive inserted into an external SCSI case wouldn't work with a Squirrel SCSI interface connected to an A1200?

Yes.

You can't attach an IDE CDROM to a Squirel SCSI Interface.

I assume you mean an 52X SCSI CD-ROM.

I never managed to get my modern  SCSI Yamaha Writer to work on either a squirrel or surf squirrel interface.
It works fine on my Blizzard SCSI however.

To be honest, depending on your budget, you'd be better of getting an IDE interface such as a powerflyer.
Its an ATA 33 Controller that clips onto your A1200 mobo, giving you 2 IDE channels like a PC.

Allows you to connect 4 IDE devices and run them at full speed, depending on your CPU.  The Internal IDE is seriously slow.

www.elbox.com

Shop around for bargains.
E-bay is good, but get some advice on lots before you bid. You get a lot of Amiga **** being passed of as mint / rare.

Back of newspapers. AD -Mag etc. Just pick them up and have a scan in whsmiths etc.

I'm picking up tonight an A4000 Desktop 030 (Rev 11 Buster) 3.0 Roms, 16MB Fast RAM, Keyboard, Micronik Scandoubler, Hydra Ethernet and GVP SCSI board with 8MB RAM, 1 GIG SCSI HD and 2X2X6 Writer for £50

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case