Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion bankrupt?  (Read 16652 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

Re: Hyperion bankrupt?
« Reply #509 from previous page: April 12, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »
Quote from: antikk;787730
My guess is you. :)

Huh? :)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;787728
i have a guess who that might be

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #511 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:24 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;787724

What does this mean exactly?

There could be a provision in Belgium's commercial law which would be akin to the now popular Chapter 11 in US. This allows a company to avoid bankruptcy by reorganizing.

You might ask: Why didn't Commodore file for Chapter 11 in 1993? Reorganization works only when the company still possesses the finances to support the reorg.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline psxphill

« Reply #512 on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
Quote from: agami;787739
You might ask: Why didn't Commodore file for Chapter 11 in 1993? Reorganization works only when the company still possesses the finances to support the reorg.

Commodore did file for chapter 11 in 1994, they didn't file in 1993 because they thought the CD32 would save them. It probably would have if they didn't have to pay the xor patent, which caused the CD32 import to be banned. That court decision was the reason that commodore couldn't be saved.

Of course by 1995 commodore would be in trouble again as they wouldn't be able to compete with Sony.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:12:58 AM by psxphill »

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #513 on: April 13, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
Thanks for correcting me. I wonder what kind of reorg they proposed.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Bugala

• Show only replies by Bugala
    • http://www.ugalabugala.net
« Reply #514 on: April 13, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
ha! that is actually a look a like.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #515 on: April 13, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »
The Hyperion web site is so reassuring.    They say they weren't bankrupt but they have so much debt that they're opening up their shareholdership and reorganizing.  That's double speak for, "We're in so much debt that we're hoping someone with a lot of cash steps in, pays our debts and takes control of the company".  And apparently the legal issues haven't been all resolved either:  "More details on that will follow when all legal formalities are behind us."

It's doubtful that anyone other than Trevor would want to rescue Hyperion.  There aren't many people who'd invest in Hyperion unless Hyperion can convince them that the company can turn a profit with an infusion of cash and a reorganization.  Hyperion obviously hasn't been making a profit for a while now or they wouldn't be in this position to begin with.  I honestly hope Hyperion survives but it'll take some groundbreaking changes in both OS4 and within the company itself to survive.  Is it me or does the NG Amiga scene appear to be just one very long train wreck?

Offline saimon69

• Show only replies by saimon69
« Reply #516 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:59 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;787768
Is it me or does the NG Amiga scene appear to be just one very long train wreck?

At least the COMMERCIAL one does...

Offline psxphill

« Reply #517 on: April 13, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;787768
There aren't many people who'd invest in Hyperion unless Hyperion can convince them that the company can turn a profit with an infusion of cash and a reorganization.

Profit is overrated, you just need enough to pay your bills and salaries. If every spare bit of cash goes to the owners salary/bonus then you never make a profit.

Most investors are more interested in turnover than profit. It's unlikely that their turnover is that impressive, even with all the upgrades they have been selling. However it might be enough and some people are optimistic about the future anyway (or are just living the dream as long as they can).

Even strategic losses can be ok. It all depends on how others perceive you (see google/twitter/etc). They got lucky because people threw money at them when they weren't making money.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:25:41 PM by psxphill »

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #518 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
Quote from: saimon69;787769
At least the COMMERCIAL one does...

True that!  LOL!  

It's too bad that A-Eon still seems headed down the dead-end road of PPC processors.  Apple deliberated the switch to x86 years ago for the very same reasons found in the Amiga scene.  They didn't want to alienate their hardcore PPC supporters.  I wish A-Eon would make the jump to another architecture just as Apple did.  It worked for Apple and it will work for Hyperion/A-Eon.  Just as Amiga classics hit the end of their lifecycle and moved on to PPC Amigas, it's now time to park the PPC Amigas and move forward once again.  What better time to do it?  Sure, the hardcore PPC fanatics will whine and moan, but they're obviously not a large enough factor to even keep Hyperion afloat any more.

Continuing to stay the course just to satisfy a shrinking and fanatical PPC customer base is a road to disaster.  That's what we're seeing right now with Hyperion.  Propping up Hyperion without any real changes in the OS and the hardware will only prolong the inevitable.

A-Eon would be better served to just drop OS4 altogether and go with a flavor of AROS.  They could use AROS for the X5000 until a move to another non-PPC architecture is initiated.  Having used OS4 on a PegII for a couple years only served to show me what a mess OS4 has become.  OS4 is a "Frankenstein's Monster of an OS" and newer features such as USB support seemed to be just quick and bug-filled hacks.  And OS4 is also lacking the very basics needed for most businesses to even consider adopting it.  There's absolutely no security nor multi-user capabilities.

I'm an IT professional who values his reputation and if I recommended that any of my clients buy an Amiga/OS4, I'd quickly lose that client if I wasn't jeered out of the room first.  There's absolutely nothing about OS4 that I can recommend to them, especially when it's tied to a PPC architecture. Even if I argued that they could run Linux on an X1000/X5000, they wouldn't be willing to pay such an exorbitant price for hardware that questionably matches x86 performance from 10 years ago.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #519 on: April 13, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;787772
Profit is overrated, you just need enough to pay your bills and salaries. If every spare bit of cash goes to the owners salary/bonus then you never make a profit.

Most investors are more interested in turnover than profit. It's unlikely that their turnover is that impressive, even with all the upgrades they have been selling. However it might be enough and some people are optimistic about the future anyway (or are just living the dream as long as they can).

Even strategic losses can be ok. It all depends on how others perceive you.

You're joking or you're extremely out of touch.  Profits are what pays those salaries and bills that you're referring to.  Profits are what investors and shareholders expect, and when there's no profit, they take their money elsewhere and the company gets sold or shut down.  Do you think anyone will just send Hyperion free money to play with and expect a zero return?  

Owners, CFOs, and CEOs have to worry about perception too.  Their shareholders don't give a rat's ass about anything other than results.  Your comments make me think that you're the guy who has really been at Hyperion's helm the past few years.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #520 on: April 13, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
@thread

guys, things are getting nasty here. since it turns out that hyperion is not bankrupt,  show's over. thread closed.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."