Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Viruses  (Read 5352 times)

Description:

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
Re: Viruses
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 01:26:33 AM »
@Doobrey

Having an "upto date" virus checker won`t always stop a new virus, as there is always a delay between the virus being released and the company writing the detection and removal routines for it, so during that time you`re at some risk to it.

The modern virus killers have the ability to recognize/detect a possible new virus (in Norton AV particularly, there is the so called "bloodhound")

My POP3 server runs inflex-scan that is an optimal virus scaner for the incoming mails (checks the attachments, and the scripts).

I really feel more safe with Amiga than with any other platform (for the time beeing ;-) ).
________
Interracial videos
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:31:35 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline BillseyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2003, 03:46:19 AM »
Oh, it's not that I'm complaining so much as letting people know what's happening in case bounces start happening on some mailing lists.

In addition, the way the spamblocker is set up, I can still check mail that has been blocked, but I have to seek it out in order to check it. That way, if someone legit gets blocked , I can check them out later and have them removed from the block list.
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2003, 05:53:30 AM »
And It's 'Virii' ;-)

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2003, 11:39:14 PM »
No it isn't.

In Latin or in English, just because a word ends "-us" doesn't mean it's pluralised to "-i". See http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html.

And to be particularly pedantic, as that page points out, "virii" is especially wrong - if you were assuming that "virus" was pluralised in the same manner as "radius", then the plural would be "viri";)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2003, 11:58:29 PM »
The modern virus killers have the ability to recognize/detect a possible new virus

I wouldn't count on it :-)

One thing that doesn't impress me about virus scanners is their lack of ability to detect possible new viruses, mainly because it is commercially unsound to make such a product.  The excuse is always that it is impossible, but look at SpamAssassin.  Using the AV companies' rationale, SpamAssassin would have to make an identical match to class an email as spam.  SA isn't a revolutionary-clever piece of software.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2003, 12:05:39 AM »
pc roolz....i love virus's...i should go buy one....i think.....hmmm nah...i love amiga and i hate virus's....

Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2003, 04:34:23 PM »
Believe it or not, a got a couple of emails from the yahoo bouncer bot yesterday. They had the virus attached. :-D
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2003, 05:24:41 PM »
It is more... usually the virus takes an address
from the Outlook address book (I wonder why this
program is still used by ANYONE) of a guy with an
infected system and then sends to certain people in the address book of this person an email where he
fakes it was not sent by the guy with the infected
system, but instead by the guy who was choosen
from the address-book. So usually the addresses
which would be blocked by the user who started
the thread would be people who do not have
any infected systems (but are in address books of
people with infected systems).

Even worse - after what I was told Sobig.f takes it's
addresses not only from the Outlook address book,
but also from Webcaches of popular browsers.

So if someone released a program with a readme
which was released on Aminet, and someone with
an infected system browses the HTML-Version of Aminet (and this readme) the virus could get his
email address and fake virus-mails with his email...

And the guy who'se email was faked even still gets
all the "Your email contained a virus" for hundreds
or thousands of mails he did not even send. Often he does not even use Windows (meaning Macro-Viri
cannot infect his system).

The good news: Sobig.f will selfdestruct on
9th September, appearently...

Steffen

Offline r00tAmiga

• Show only replies by r00tAmiga
    • http://www.SlidersNetwork.com
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2003, 05:40:38 PM »
The good news is, is that SoBig will stop running on September 10th.

The bad news is, this means that the virus creator(s) know there stuff and are working on even bigger plans.

There using viruses for spam warfare now.

If the user(s) that got infected have you in their address book, or what have you, it does not matter if your on a Mac, Amiga, Linux, Windows, whatever.  As long as you have email access, your going to get flooded with random emails from the infected user(s).

So this is not only a virus.  But this is taking it to a whole new level of disaster.

The only thing that I can tell is this.  The people that are mostly getting affected are the ones that share jokes and hoaxes and files back and forth to eachother via emails.

I have one other solution besides keeping yourself protected with Anti-Virus software, the latest virus definitions and a firewall.  If your receiving alot of these emails with purported viruses.  Email everyone in your address book and tell them of the situation, tell them that if they go to www.symantec.com or another site they can download the removal tool for the sobig virus.  And they can run it to see if there infected.  And then tell them all to install virus scan software on their systems and update there definitions.
-r00tAmiga

Offline chris

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2003, 07:08:30 PM »
Anyway, has anybody here been wiped out by an Amiga virus?  I recall getting one that infected the first file in startup-sequence, and that affected a couple of disks before I picked up on it.  I also got one one my HD - the first and last one that infected it - and that was years ago, five or more.  I can't remember what the virus did, but as I was running VirusZ it was picked up on the first reboot and quickly eliminated.

The plural of virus?  I interchange between viruses and virii, but having just read up on the subject, I rather like virora  :-)

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2003, 09:13:44 PM »
I kind of liked the one that was harmless except for rotating your workbench 180 degrees. :-)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2003, 09:04:01 AM »
Anyway, has anybody here been wiped out by an Amiga virus? I recall getting one that infected the first file in startup-sequence, and that affected a couple of disks before I picked up on it. I also got one one my HD - the first and last one that infected it - and that was years ago, five or more. I can't remember what the virus did, but as I was running VirusZ it was picked up on the first reboot and quickly eliminated.

Heh!  I've gotten two Amiga viruses that actually did damage.  Though, both were over 10 years ago, now... heh!  

First, and I'm embarassed to admit it....  LAMER EXTERMINATOR (a bootblock/cold capture vector) virus did in a few diskettes about a week after I picked up my machine, thanks to a local BBS.  That's when I realized it was wise to run VirusChecker, and learn a little bit more about this computer.  It's more complex than a C64, for sure!!   hehe!  

Later, I got hit with Saddam virus...  Remember that one?  The little bastard hid in Workbench 1.2/1.3's "disk-validator" and would copy itself to any standard AmigaOS floppy that previously had a disk-validator file on it (most 1.2/1.3 app disks!), making that disk a carrier of the virus.  It would also randomly corrupt a track or two on any disk....  (causing the disk to go unvalidated, and the virus'd disk-validator to run).  I must have been "lucky" enough to get that one the day it came out, or so...  I knew right away I was dealing with a virus, and I knew it wasn't a bootblock or standard virus, but I couldn't figure out what the heck it actually WAS.  About a day after I started realizing exactly how deadly the thing was, the first news of how to get rid of it finally started showing up...

Ahh... some info about Saddam Virus...

The good ole' days... haha!

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2003, 09:45:14 AM »
I've not read through all the replies so this have perhaps already been said but I'll say it anyway just to be sure that you know. It's common practise these days that viruses use a fake from adress, one that have often been taken from the adressbook of an infected person. So blocking of "from adresses" will do you no good since you are most likely to block of ppl that aren't infected but whos adress is in an infected persons adressbook.

I know from personal experience how some ppl have complained about to me about one of my email adresses as being a virus sender. It was one that was very public and most likely would end up in numerous adressbooks. Funny thing was that none of my privat adresses would "send" out any viruses. As then I run a firewall and virusprogram updated daily aswell as an emailfilter program to block of spam and viruses even before they leave the mailservers. :-D
:idea: I'd rekomend you try to block email viruses by finding common factors in the header and body of a mail and preferably combine with other factors such as size of the mail.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2003, 09:58:24 AM »

KennyR wrote:
Maybe they should just ban Windows users, period :)

People seem to forget where this all started. Aren't there people remebering 'You're amiga has become alive'
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Acill

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
People seem to forget where this all started. Aren't there people remebering 'You're amiga has become alive'

Ah yes... The great ol' 'SCA" virus. Its went like this actually. "Somethinging wonderfull has happened..... Your Amiga is alive...... You have a vurus!"

That one took out more then half of my Orginal games at one time!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Jope

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 24, 2003, 02:02:43 PM »
That one took out more then half of my Orginal games at one time!

Why did you have your originals write enabled? :-o

I never did have that many problems with viruses back in the day.. When Saddam was rampant, I had 2.04 so it didn't run on my machine. It was a major annoyance, however - I had many 1.3 owning friends who couldn't care less about the virus, so I had to disinfect each of their disks if I wanted to read the contents.. :-P