Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC  (Read 16004 times)

Description:

guest7146

Re: WTB: Cyberstorm PPC
« Reply #104 from previous page: May 31, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;641451
Mr Dellert also feels that such things are beyond the hobbiest abilities. Of course he hadn't heard of the Minimig or FPG Arcade back in 2005, so we'll let him slide on that one.

Plaz

Well, the term "hobbyist" implies amateur, but that doesn't have to be the case.  It could very well be a professional electronics design Engineer who also likes to work on his own projects in his spare time.  The projects he (or she) does in his spare time are his "hobbyist" projects.

AH

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;641462
Well, the term "hobbyist" implies amateur, but that doesn't have to be the case.  It could very well be a professional electronics design Engineer who also likes to work on his own projects in his spare time.  The projects he (or she) does in his spare time are his "hobbyist" projects.

AH

Yeah, I can attest to that. I used to know two guys that used to run a small side operation in PA called L&R Tech. They made hard disk interfaces and serial cards for Tandy Color Computers. But their main business was designing and manufacturing medical monitoring equipment.
Their warehouse/factory had the first reflow solder equipment I ever saw working.
Dellert discounts the idea that some of us have access to that kind of equipment either through work or other ventures.
I used to know a lot of places where work could be contracted out for stuff in the US.
Now, like Mike and his Replay board, a lot of that has moved to China.
But each developed country around the world usually has some small scale manufacturing firms.

Also, if you look at that document, at the time Dellert was still pretty hostile to the Amiga market. I believe he states he'd rather 'burn' the documentation then release it. Then he explains why we're ill-equipped to use it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;641462

AH

For a good example of a "Hobbyist" that is definitely not an "Amateur", I offer George Braun, who has spent years and thousands of euros on designing and producing mostly one of a kind upgrades for his A1000.  I just checked his home webpage again yesterday and found that he has completed a 68060/50MHz to 100MHz accelerator for his GBA1000 motherboard.  The only problem with most of his projects is that they are not meant for other hobbyist's to duplicate, as the tools and knowledge to complete them are far above and beyond the capabilities and available tools that most of us mere mortals possess, and he does not produce any of them for sale, or offer any assistance to other people, other than providing the designs and some technical information for downloads.  He also created a one-of-a-kind custom design copy of the PicassoII graphics card that fits inside his A1000 and connects to the Zorro slot on the GBA1000 via a 90 degree connector.  It has 2mb VRAM and is capable of working with the GBA1000's internal scan doubler.  This guy is a genius with spare time and money, but I wish he would work with someone like Jens of Individual Computer's to make his inventions available to others more easily.  I wonder if Jens has ever talked to him about such a partnership, not that very many people would be interested in expanding their A1000's like Mr. Braun has, but there are a few of us that still think that the A1000 is the best looking Amiga ever built.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
i'm tempted to sell mine (A4000 complete system):

http://brescia.annuncia.it/Annunci-gratuiti/10-Tecnologia/Computer/135859/Vendo-Amiga-4000-PPC-+-espansioni-varie.html

add to the list

genlock Electrocraft Amiga Pro-Titler APT-91 (very good and rare item)

(italians only or, at least able to play mandolino correctly) :-)

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »
Quote from: mechy;640830
Its just you. I use my A4000/csppc with mediator daily to do everything from listen to mp3's to handle my web store emails.View pdf's(well most).The mediator gives me 100MB ethernet,SB128 and a 1280x1024x32 workbench.Even tho the browser is old,Ibrowse still works for paying all my credit card bills and with my bank just fine.I print to a color xerox laser with netprinter.device fine.I still like picshow over many picture viewers on most platforms.dvd burning is handled with fryingpan or crazy franko's utilities. using 2-32gb cf's on the UWSCSI chain as hard drives makes it pretty quick and reliable(21MB/s!).Deneb makes using usb anything a breeze.It actually reads pictures in off my sony camera as fast as the 3ghz dell near me.Don't get me wrong,a a bit more speed would always be nice.
I actually get stuff done since i'm not rebooting from updates every 5 minutes
I honestly don't have any need for word documents,so this may be a point of contention to some.
Its costly to do this,but i take good care of my stuff and i have no worries it will bring the price i paid for it easily(i will never sell it...but if i do ;).
Best of all theres virtually no virus trouble ever(i call it security thru obscurity :).
Obviously your results would be half as good on a A1200 which is signifigantly slower with simular expansions because of the bottlenecks and the blizzardppc 32 bit ram addressing and old narrow scsi vs the csppc 64bit memory addressing + UWSCSI and well as mediator bottlenecks..

So when people like you say its not usefull,i just have to think you have a total lack of imagination. You just need to use what works for you and quit obsessing over what it is.

im going to say this for the last time.

Cyberstorm 64bit memory no longer has a advantage over my Blizzard PPC.

if Blizzard PPC cards could take a 604e my Blizzard would be faster than a CyberStorm 233. my Blizzard is faster than a Cyberstorm 200Mhz and  has gained another half a sec to close the gap to a Cyberstorm 233.

my PCI/Bvision is already faster than a Cyberstorm PCI/Cybervision.

second fastest Blizzard card in the world.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3417
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:29:37 AM by delshay »
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
Quote from: delshay;641752

thanks a lot! :-)

Offline delshay

« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:46 PM »
Blizzard card is moving to another processor,i did have it half working,but if am able to finish and complete this new processor to fully work,the card will operate at 350Mhz+ with 80Mhz+ bus. project to restart late this year as i want to complete Bvision project first as it needs to improve its performance even further.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3404
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:32:54 AM by delshay »
-------------

Offline Mizar

• Show only replies by Mizar
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2011, 04:59:28 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;640950
Actually not at all "fascinating",i'd say "Sad"  If a person has actually lived in the real world, had a real job , a real life, etc etc they would never make a  statements like "i've never used a word document file" and to brag about it is even more embarassing

What kind of incredibly foolish statements are those???  Talking about something to be embarrassed about saying, for crying out loud.  So, according to you, someone must use M$ Word to have any kind of life, or be anybody.  I never thought I'd hear an Amigan sound exactly like a fool Windrone!  Even if Franko was bragging about it, so what- good for him, as he knows he's not a Windrone and doesn't get sucked in by Micro$loth.

Firstly, M$ Word is NOT A STANDARD, it's a Windoze specific proprietary app.  For something to be a REAL standard, it should be multi-platform and freely distributable/usable, like PDF.  Now there's a document standard format.  Secondly, I've used old versions of Word/Wordpad, and I do not save files in its format.  I choose RTF for formatting or otherwise ASCII.  At least those can also be considered some kind of standard formats.  I don't know how many times ppl have annoyed me sending things in Word format, and have to explain to them it's not a cross-platform standard format.  I don't care if 95% of the freaking world uses Winblows these days, it's still an OS specific proprietary format, and not a standard.

How can you be enlightened enough to have any appreciation for Amiga, yet still say things so stupid?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:05:17 AM by Mizar »
Amiga Tech. A1200: Apollo 1230/40 MHz & 882/50 MHz, 32 MB fast RAM, WD 298 GB HD (320 SI GB), Sony 1760 KB floppy, Surf Squirrel SCSI-II & buffered  serial, Ricoh CDRW 6x4x24, USR 33.6 Kbps modem, MV1200 scan doubler, Compaq 17" SVGA, KS 3.1, OS3.9 BB1, Genesis 45.7, Miami 3.2b, AWeb 3.5.09 APL

C= A500: 68000, 512 KB chip, 512 KB fast, 880 KB floppy x 2, 1084S, KS 1.3, OS 1.3

Offline delshay

« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2011, 05:25:33 AM »
here is a screenshot to prove Cyberstorm PPC 64bit memory does not have a advantage over my Blizzard PPC card. my Blizzard card memory is infact faster.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3526
-------------

Offline HammerD

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:16 AM »
Quote from: delshay;641752

Cyberstorm 64bit memory no longer has a advantage over my Blizzard PPC.

if Blizzard PPC cards could take a 604e my Blizzard would be faster than a CyberStorm 233. my Blizzard is faster than a Cyberstorm 200Mhz and  has gained another half a sec to close the gap to a Cyberstorm 233.

my PCI/Bvision is already faster than a Cyberstorm PCI/Cybervision.

second fastest Blizzard card in the world.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3417

Regarding your blizzard...nearly as fast as my 366MHz Cyberstorm PPC....VERY nice work!!! I can't wait to see what you will come up with next :) 40ns? :-)

note: gfx is Radeon 9250 on a Mediator...thus the lame video speeds vs. BlizzardVision PPC gfx.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Mizar

• Show only replies by Mizar
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2011, 06:10:03 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;647425
Regarding your blizzard...nearly as fast as my 366MHz Cyberstorm PPC....VERY nice work!!! I can't wait to see what you will come up with next :) 40ns? :-)

note: gfx is Radeon 9250 on a Mediator...thus the lame video speeds vs. BlizzardVision PPC gfx.

Whoah, y'all have got the battle of the fastest classic Amiga hardware in the world going on!  Geez, those are some sweet ass accelerators... around HALF the speed of this Pentium 3 I'm on!  Yikes!  If y'all were going to sell your accelerators, I'm guessing the price would be at least $5,000 each??!

I want to do a Mediator upgrade on my A1200, but I don't have a PPC :(.  I've noticed that no one is mentioning what I read about on the Elbox site, of using a PC accelerator with the Mediator.  That is supposed to be possible too, isn't it?  Then y'all could be talking about processor speeds of 2-3 GHz at least!
Amiga Tech. A1200: Apollo 1230/40 MHz & 882/50 MHz, 32 MB fast RAM, WD 298 GB HD (320 SI GB), Sony 1760 KB floppy, Surf Squirrel SCSI-II & buffered  serial, Ricoh CDRW 6x4x24, USR 33.6 Kbps modem, MV1200 scan doubler, Compaq 17" SVGA, KS 3.1, OS3.9 BB1, Genesis 45.7, Miami 3.2b, AWeb 3.5.09 APL

C= A500: 68000, 512 KB chip, 512 KB fast, 880 KB floppy x 2, 1084S, KS 1.3, OS 1.3

Offline delshay

« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »
Blizzard PPC card will become the fastest classic card,i think i also said this in another thread but i don't like repeating myself,anyway its just a matter of time.

i have a desktop A1200 so im stuck with a bvision (enhanced) 250Mhz Ramdac,125Mhz memory (Beta) modifiyed driver OS3.9.
need information to test this under OS4.1

what most user enjoy playing PPC games with 640x480 16bit, i enjoy 800x600 16bit with the same or better performance.

i dont need to use a screenmode lower than 800x600..workbench 1024x768 24Bit or 32bit depending on OS used.

there are no errors in my system other than below. ie there's no lock-ups crashs ect all fixed.

OUTSTANDING ISSUES: as above get Bvison out of Beta from it's 125Mhz memory.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:07:45 AM by delshay »
-------------