Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Every little thing she does...  (Read 13071 times)

Description:

Offline MikaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mika
Every little thing she does...
« on: December 12, 2002, 07:10:11 PM »
There are little things that make AmigaOS special to me...
That Ram disk icon...I love it!
...And I love seeing floppy/CD-Rom icon disappearing when removing the disk and popping up
again when reinserting...
And what about the Workbench title bar? Just a mouse click and the amount of free RAM is
shown for you there...what a beautiful scene!!!

Aaaaaahhh...

BUT...there are "big" things too.
Like  AREXX, the command language that makes Amiga so powerfull...Just one button pushed and
Miami is made online and YAM  will open!
And the OS in whole is so clear and simple. No hidden or locked doors.
Everything is open and well structured.
You control the computer, not vice versa...

Every little thing she does she does for me,  yeah...

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Every little thing she does...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 07:16:21 PM »
And what about the Find program?
you can find new files that were added ten MINUTES ago.
i think windows is still stuck in days & months.

And Alias?
And Assign?
And.... :-)

Offline Darmaster70

• Show only replies by Darmaster70
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 08:23:43 PM »
Well put Mika, couldn't have said it better myself

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 08:44:58 PM »
The best thing I love about the Amiga is the VERY VERY fast bootup.  I also like the little time it takes to load up applications.  Unlike the PeeCees, they take up big amounts of memory and awhile to load up....  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 09:07:57 PM »
I used to love the wacky large icons which used to be present on most disks.
I also love the fast boot times, and those Workbench hacks you used to get on coverdisks.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 09:21:31 PM »
I like the way that just about everything is configurable. You can almost guarantee that if you want something changing then theres a hack/program on aminet. No desktop/ system seems to be the same. This can be a disadvantage at times, but makes for a very personal system.

Offline WarPiper

• Show only replies by WarPiper
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 09:38:33 PM »
And what about the Find program?
you can find new files that were added ten MINUTES ago.
i think windows is still stuck in days & months

umm...no, windows has and can still find things on the system that was put anywhere, with just a partial name or files containing certain text, or files that have just been modified, but I also like the find in Amiga os, it was a nice addition.
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 09:43:41 PM »
Among other, previously mentioned things I like:

The fact that when you install something, you can usually
get rid of it very easily - often all is placed in a single
directory...
 -> No bloody "un-install" scripts...

(the few things sometimes ending up in Libs: annoys
me though, all extras stuff needed by the program should be
installed with the program itself unless you explicitlty allow
otherwise. Oh...in a perfect world...).
SlimJim

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 09:51:56 PM »
I was using Netscape on a Windows machine  :-x about a year ago. In June, Netscape stopped (as an ISP) and gave way to AOL (crap).
I then switched to Compuserve (ok) after running the Un-Install shield in Windows 98.
I then decided to switch to Broadband.
I then find out that the machine seems convinced that I am still using Netscape.
I ran the un-install shield, but there are still traces of it on my system.
I uninstalled it in June!!!

Offline cycloid

• Show only replies by cycloid
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2002, 02:41:00 PM »
1. my windows machine boots from power button to desktop in under 30 seconds.

2. dont ever ever ever use a "portal" ISP like compuserve/aol to get online. use a proper bloody net account where you *just* dial in!

3. dont install stuff... if you reformat your PC's HD every so often then copy all your old stuff to a backup drive/partition, lots more things than you would think (e.g. netscape 7.0, quicktime 5+) can be copied from your backup to anywhere you like and just run .. psudeo amiga style

4. have a big drive/partition and copy your drivers and install cds to it... that way when you do reformat everything is ready to rumble on F: (or wherever) and you dont need to find a single floppy or CD (including windows!)

5. drag and drop, it works 10 times better on a PC than on an amiga (but non-ex-amigans haven't noticed) try using windows explorer to select multiple image files and dropping them onto the photoshop icon... it works a treat! ... oh yeah, and use windows explorer , it's bloody fantastic and ive been polling the guys at dopus to make something similar for el nuevo dopus.

6. set your swap file to 512 mb *fixed* size, and then defrag ... if you use a norton defragger it'll even put your swap file at the start of the drive .. = much faster windows

7. have 512 mb of ram too

8. and when you've done all that, boot your amiga and play doom on it instead... that and octamed are pretty much all i use it for! hehe

9. oh yeah, things i like about the PC that the amiga SHOULD do (just to be contentious, why am i in this mood today?)

9.a. global windows meta copy buffer... copy and paste anything from one program to another and if you do it cunningly enough it will do a reasonable job of it (text formatting, or putting things into spreadsheets) .. you cant even copy between progs in amiga (yeah i know there's stuff on aminet)

9.b. global shortcuts ... CTRL+C = copy , CTRL+V = paste, CTRL+X = cut, CTRL+N = new, CTRL+S = save, CTRL+A = select all , CTRL+Z = undo ... when using windows at high speed keep one finger of your left hand on ctrl and the rest poised to do the above, you can move at lightning speed.. but on the amiga? i have to use both hands to use both amiga keys and they're differeent for every bloody program

9.c. drag and drop (see above)

9.d. program files, my documents, windows, control panel... if you do things properly (my my documents is mapped to a different partition for example) then these are the only things you usually need to know about... in amiga  you have prefs/ tools/ utils/ expansion/ workbench: sys: work: commodities/ etc/ etc/ etc/ argh! how am i supposed to find abything? and what does "work" mean wnyway? why not sys: programs: and data: ??? (still its not as stupid as linux, anyone know what bin/ usr/ fck/ xbd/ bsd/ etc/ is supposed to mean? i have a degree in physics and linux still confuses me with its instistence on being convoluted)

9.e. "retrace"

9.f. the API (including direct x) ... yup ... i'm only just coming around to this but imagine it.. an API where you can say "play this sound a bit over to the left" and it does it... no configging every individual app for AHI/native/zorro/etc. it just goes , it just does.. but i do prefer opengl for 3d mind ... i'm currently doing 3d games coding on the PC for a laugh and by using API stuff i dont need to mess about creating a bloody
startup dialogue!

cycloid

original ZX81 games coder at the age of 4 and aint stopped since and still loves his miggy

(insert flame here)

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2002, 03:26:17 PM »
@mika

So true, so beautiful... Than you for sharing this with us.

I truly hope we all one day have experience like that. Once again.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2002, 03:42:31 PM »
@cycloid

Well said,

2. dont ever ever ever use a "portal" ISP like compuserve/aol to get online. use a proper bloody net account where you *just* dial in!

Yeah never use the ISP`s software which a lot still lie about, I use NTL broadband 600k and they insisted i had to use their CD to get it up and running, total load of crap, just open up a web browser type "Start.html" register and reset the set top box and away you go.

Offline Ponos2D

• Show only replies by Ponos2D
    • http://www.inet.hr/~dponos
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2002, 03:45:27 PM »
Every little thing she does... -refering to Amiga

V.S

Every little thing it does...(sounds ugly) -refering to PC

And yes, ughhh... I own PC also from now...but
it was just 180 EURO for PIII 800Mhz,768(3x256)MB SDRAM,
Ati 16MB. Complete computer without monitor. To good bargain
to let it go away. 2x256MB will go into Something Amigish...

Offline 420Dude

• Show only replies by 420Dude
    • http://www.hightimes.com
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2002, 04:21:53 PM »
Rock on y'all!  defend the faith!
Amiga is #1!
it gives you more for less, there is no doubt about it (apart  amongst the seriously ingorant)

there is so many aspects of glory...i will choose...

i am still amazed today at how much digital entertainment was managed to be stuffed into a single self-boot disk!  especially all those demos
it is a mind boggle to witness the high quality  
experience that demands a mere 1mg ram! while unachievable with tenfold of that and more elsewhere.   not to mention that it was all soley done using essentially the same machine. can the same be said for instance about gamecube x-box or?
  while some of it is far from impressive today (the end results), it is still amazing what was accomplished the production+the requirements of the end results.

the power of the amiga has always been, to me, in the production side. becasue on the playback/consumer side there is considerably less discrimination required. that will change too (or should...)

the most exiting prospects today is to envision that same effecient use of instruction on top of having available abundance of hardware backing :-P
\\"From the East-coast to the West-coast;
everybodyz been drinking,
                 but I\\\'m the one whos been puffing most\\"
                                                    B-Real, CypressHill IV

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2002, 04:33:24 PM »
Well you can always copy to Ram:

in one document

fire up second Program and load whatever you saved into ram:

fire up third/fourth/fifth/sixth/seventh/eigth/ninth etc...

Proggie (All at the same time) and access,  or even drag & drop into / out of Ram:
The Reluctant Pom