Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interview with Ben Hermans revealing current status of AOS4  (Read 8423 times)

Description:

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
Re: Interview with Ben Hermans revealing current status of AOS4
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2003, 08:02:50 AM »
That MPEG, AND a sequel, hehe.

This is GREAT news. The bottom line is, they're low on cash. So, all you coupon buyers, you shortened the amount of time to the AOS4.0 release, instead of getting a T-shirt. Now, for me to send away...

Amiga! "Hello mudder, hello fudder, this is your Amiga from camp...", sings Amy the mascot.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2003, 08:06:11 AM »

teotwin wrote:
I just read the beta OS4 copy thread a second ago, and from what i see i can assume this.

Apparently Downix, is the FUD master...
According to the few leaks about AOS4...
it's not even in Alpha testing yet, as the complete package has yet to be assembled. Some 68k-based components intended for AOS4 are being beta-tested, but they'll have to be re-tested again once the package is assembled.

Sad really.

hehe, perhaps you should have done a little actual research before letting the foul s#!t fall from your mouth. hehehe, i laugh at thee.

I also see that they are quite confident that it has an impending release...

What do you mean? The interview once again confirmed what e.g. Downix, the Friedens and Hermans have said before, perhaps minus the 68k part in that specific thread which wasn't addressed at all.

I also note the vagueness and ambiguity about whether SNAP is to be included in 4.0 or a later revision.

I have every confidence in Hyperion and their contributors that they'll pull it off and make it a good product - eventually. But judging from what's said "officially" I don't expect to see it anytime soon, I'm afraid. It's not exactly a question of "OK, we've tested ExecSG and all components now, let's slap'em all together, maybe add some new stuff as we go along, and burn the CDs! Two more weeks!"

There apparently still is no complete OS to "beta test", only separate components. No feature-freeze seems to have taken place yet (the switch to SNAP, doubts about the inclusion of e.g. InstallerNG).

The best bit from the interview however
If Amiga goes bankrupt, our license is commuted to an exclusive license to develop AmigaOS further, for any platform, not just PPC

That's interesting. We've heard that "we've only got a license to do a PPC port" before, and others would be free to take it to other architectures. I think it's odd that they didn't negotiate themselves this license and this exclusiveness before, regardless of AInc being bust or not.

IMO it will never be widely accepted by the wider/public community while its stuck on expensive obsolete hardware.

True (although the Teron PX is "only" a couple of years obsolete if you restrict the comparison to PPC consumer computers). That of course goes for the "you're only allowed to buy this hardware from a 'special' vendor if you want to run AmigaOS" too. Catering only to the very few who are interested in this makes the whole project still-born, commercially. IMO.

BTW, "FUD" is a marketing technique that is intended to make potential customers feel Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt about a competing product/company. Everyone, please don't shout "FUD" as soon as you disagree with someone, or when someone expresses a hint of healthy skepticism and reasoning...
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2003, 08:20:12 AM »
Dunno much about the OS4 development as I'm not really interested in it or the A1, but Ben certainly gained a few personality points in my book.
An honest and frank interview methinks.
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline teo

• Show only replies by teo
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2003, 08:21:52 AM »
@senex, Unless you have no ability to derive meanings from what people say (as is indended when it is said/written), downix was clearly implying that OS4 is no where near completion, i quote "it's not even in Alpha testing yet" which it seems is completely wrong, do you dispute this??? i didnt think so, and then calling the situation "sad" Do you dispute this??? i didnt think so. Therefor he is spreading doubt! Do you dispute this??? i didnt think so. So once again, i hereby dub downix "fud-master".  btw, for my own interest, please tell me what involvement downix has with other operating systems that are not AmigaOS...

@darth_x, you respond with "FUD?" to my post regarding the possibility of the os heading to x86 hardware??? Im honestly not sure what you mean by this,  it is more than clear that the paragraph in question was based directly on a quote from Ben within the interview, and is clearly written as my own opinion (my own hope actually) and i have in no way indicated that there is any evidence that this *will* happen. Before i jump to any conclusions, where you refering to my opinion as being FUD?

You also wrote, "By the way, cute avatar. Do the empty boing balls signify anything?" hehe, Well spotted indeed, i only created it last night for my site www.amigamonkey.com but realised today that i should have made the balls solid semi-spheres, for asthetic reasons really, but yes, we still have nothing, so everyones boing balls are still empty.

Offline teo

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2003, 10:02:04 AM »
@seehund
What do you mean? The interview once again confirmed what e.g. Downix, the Friedens and Hermans have said before, perhaps minus the 68k part in that specific thread which wasn't addressed at all.

See my above post. There is still NO doubt in my mind that downix was attempting to portray doubt about the OS. You can continue pull it apart and pick at the details as you like to try and prove him right for one point in the post, but it still leaves the "not in alpha" and "sad" etc comments unaccounted for, you know, the comments that set the tone for the post. And you simply cant deny the disposition of the post if firmly against hyperion, and that appears that downix's intention was to portray hyperions monumental effort as pathetic. You yourself said FUD is a marketing technique (unless i misunderstood the meaning of your comment) So, does downix have any marketing interest in demeaning hyperions AmigaOS?

Regarding the opposing info on "we've only got a license to do a PPC port" v's "develop AmigaOS further, for any platform, not just PPC". Im pretty sure your right on this, although i cant recall where i read the original info from. All *i* can guess is that they infact do have a license only to do PPC, *unless* ainc go bust. However I cant see them (hyperion) addressing this point soon, as i would imagine that it may still be a touchy subject in the community (from the old "which cpu is better" wars).

Anyone here object to a-os on x86/64bit hammer etc?

ps, my updated avatar now has solid balls :-)

Offline Damion

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2003, 10:33:37 AM »
Hmmm...it would seem that the relationship between A - Inc and Hyperion is a bit sketchy
to say the least...to openly discuss protocol
and reassure customers about what may happen
in the event of A - Inc's bankruptcy...

FUDFUDFUDFUDFUD
(just thought I'd say it before someone else
did...even though I'm serious)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2003, 10:35:56 AM »
@mips_proc

I think its great that hyperion isnt tied to A.inc though... I've always held them in higher respect then A.inc

I agree.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Damion

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2003, 10:38:23 AM »
Hyperion rocks; it's A-Inc that rubs me the
wrong way at times. :)

Offline teo

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2003, 11:11:04 AM »
@-D-
Hyperion rocks; it's A-Inc that rubs me the
wrong way at times. :)

With ya 100%

Offline Helgis75

• Show only replies by Helgis75
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2003, 11:18:57 AM »
I agree with most of you. Really a very honest interview, and also very nice to know what's really going on. I am also a bit optimistic, and i guess the release of OS4 is March to April. Isn't that bad at all.

What i know, is that the A1G4XEs are under final betatesting in Taiwan at the moment, ready for shipping, which is definitely good news! I have to say i am very proud of these news. Exactly what we have been waiting for! :-)

Keep it up, guys! Kay, great to see you here again!  :-)
Helgis - AMIGA DEFINITELY makes it all possible!!!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2003, 11:24:50 AM »
Anyone here object to a-os on x86/64bit hammer etc?

Any (im)possible porting of AmigaOS to little-endian weaklings is years away anyhow - not OS 4.x.
I personally wouldn't like to get such a system.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2003, 11:34:14 AM »
> Keep it up, guys! Kay, great to see you here again!

I do drop by now and then :-). Still holding my breath for my G4XE.

Forresten, eg såg du leita etter harddiskar...har du sett "Ukens Tilbud" på komplett.no denne veka?

Kay

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2003, 11:36:51 AM »

JoannaK wrote:
Yep.. admitting this month ago would have saved lots of unnecessary FUD calling ...

Probably, and by yourself not the least...
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2003, 11:38:08 AM »

very nice. but I think they actually looked better hollow ! did you do them by hand ?
if so its a sterling effort !
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2003, 11:39:58 AM »

teotwin wrote:

At least they are not chocolate and salty   :-P .

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Offline Damion

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 20, 2003, 11:46:34 AM »
Every avatar should have a solid set of balls! ;)