Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos (MOS) Advantage over AmigaOne (OS4)  (Read 4167 times)

Description:

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
Re: Pegasos (MOS) Advantage over AmigaOne (OS4)
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 17, 2003, 06:32:23 PM »
Better things come in the end than at the start.  This is a proven theory.

You might be surprised to see what OS4 will offer.  But, if I tell ya, I would divide you in parts and send it to Microsoft HQ.   :-D   j/k!
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline Athlon

• Show only replies by Athlon
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2003, 12:59:23 PM »
Pegasos/Morph os is a smother more modern version...my two cents thrown in

Offline Staticman

• Show only replies by Staticman
    • http://www.freewebs.com/staticdrummer
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2003, 02:45:50 PM »
more modern version that what? An OS you havent even used yet?

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2003, 03:10:41 PM »
Acill wrote:

2. The price for a FASTER and more capable Pegasos II is much better then the current A1 systems out, if you can even find one.

Well that's the problem, isn't it? Finding a Pegasos II.
AT

Offline XIII

• Show only replies by XIII
    • http://www.X111.com
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2003, 08:39:42 PM »
To add my $0.02 (although probably more like $700-1000), imho the points raised in the original post by Acill are valid.
I'm one of those people slowly returning because of all the news floating about and at this point I have the choice of either going for a Peg with MOS (which look lovely) or an A1 to run Linux.
And seeing as I already have plenty of machines running that my obvious choice at the moment is to go for a Pegasos. Later on if and when AOS4 is released I may consider getting an A1 IF it's good enough and I'm not totally hooked on  MOS by then.

Offline bbrv

• Show only replies by bbrv
    • http://www.genesi-tech.com
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2003, 08:51:36 PM »
Rose, hole!

Now!

Offline utri007

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2003, 11:10:41 PM »
Windows advantage over mos, it's on sale now cheap, and you can use amiga software via UEA, you can get more native software.

But it's not amiga
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2003, 01:17:33 AM »
in my opinon you can sum it up like this.

AmigaOne's advantages ... the name

AmigaOne's disadvantage...the name, Amiga.inc

Pegasos advantages ... good support, growing community, forward thinking plans

Pegasos dis-advantages (in this market) ... lack of the name

the community?... the moderates dont follow the name they dont follow anything... they see the work of fellow community members and they judge things based in merit... not on its name

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2003, 01:36:21 AM »
Despite my earlier comment.  Pegasos/MOS beat OS4 to market, if the Peg2 gets out and en mass before OS ships for AmigaOnes, MOS will win hands down. However, they do both seem rather nice operating systems(MOS/classic AmigaOS) Anyone think they could set up some way (like VNC) for me to remote access their Peg/MOS so I can get a feel for what's it s' like without trying to spend more money than I actually have. A demo like that would be very fun, even if there'd be lag (because of remote access)
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline YttriumOx

• Show only replies by YttriumOx
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2003, 02:51:59 AM »
by meerschaum on 2003/8/19 11:17:33

in my opinon you can sum it up like this.

AmigaOne's advantages ... the name

AmigaOne's disadvantage...the name, Amiga.inc

Pegasos advantages ... good support, growing community, forward thinking plans

Pegasos dis-advantages (in this market) ... lack of the name

the community?... the moderates dont follow the name they dont follow anything... they see the work of fellow community members and they judge things based in merit... not on its name

What I find interesting is how so many people assume the ONLY reason to buy an AmigaOne is the name.
I haven't seen any more of OS4 than most people (although I know some people who have seen a LOT more), but my decision to buy an AmigaOne over a Pegasos with MorphOS is based SOLELY on what I know of the two systems.  Nothing to do with the name at all.
I'm impressed with the quality of the effort I see going in to developing and testing AmigaOS, where MorphOS feels more like the "free-for-all" situation of Linux.  In itself, this isn't a bad thing, but despite Linux being my primary desktop OS at home, it's still a far cry from the professionally put together feel of AmigaOS.
Also, my only experience with MorphOS thus far has been extremely disappointing.  I do believe people when they say it's stable for them, however the one time I used it, I saw it crash about 6 or 7 times in the space of an hour or two.  And that was just Ambient - nothing to do with apps.
I'm happy with the purchase of my AmigaOne and will be even happier when I can use AmigaOS4 on it.  I hold no bad feelings towards what the MorphOS developers and community are doing with regards to creating an AmigaOS compatible system, and would have indeed welcomed it with open arms were there not another system in the works.  The fragmentation of the community is a very unfortunate side effect of having two projects however, and because of this, despite the good efforts gone into things from the MorphOS developers, I cannot and will not endorse it in any way.  Had my experience led me to believe MorphOS were the superior product, I almost certainly would have the same feelings with regards to OS4.

Regards,
Ben de Waal.

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2003, 03:06:48 AM »
@YttriumOx

Opinonated rant below....this is OPINON I'm not accusing anyone of anything or saying any of this is concrete... this is expressiong the 'mindset' more then anything.

I understand your point...but for you to believe the A1/AOS4 is somehow better 'quality'  or 'superior' means you have some degree of faith in what your bieng told from Amiga.inc's side (since it isnt complete yet, running on AmigaOne in your house available to test against MorphOS)  ... for many of us...we simply dont trust the Amiga.inc side of things...that having been said  can you trust a product made by a company you dont trust?... thats why I list Amiga.inc as a negative to the AmigaOne they represent Amiga as a whole...now we can argue semantics about how Hyperion is not Amiga.inc and Eyetech is not Amiga.inc but their all together on this and who owns the IP? who is at the helm? Amiga.inc is and that is why I group them together into one entity.

I do hope the AmigaOne turns out alright and that OS4 is a good product... but at the same time I hope they make their way onto Pegasos so that this whole community can be united again to some degree.  

Offline Damion

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2003, 03:18:00 AM »
You definately bring up some good points, but
I disagree with this:

I'm impressed with the quality of the effort I see going in to developing and testing AmigaOS, where MorphOS feels more like the "free-for-all" situation of Linux. In itself, this isn't a bad thing, but despite Linux being my primary desktop OS at home, it's still a far cry from the professionally put together feel of AmigaOS.

OS4 was 'NOT" looking very professional when
I saw it at AmiWest, being slow, not publically
available to demo and also running on 90's era
dated hardware. And I wouldn't call 3.9 very
"professional" considering the hack 'n patch
job it takes to get useable...cool to tinker
with maybe, but not professional in the sense
that XP or OSX is.

BTW I watched the Peg run app after app without
crashing...OS4 could hardly resize windows
and make it out of the shade of it's own ass...
just my perspective...yes it may crash and I'm
not saying it's perfect, but from what I saw,
there was really no comparison. Several fully
operational systems running on G3's/G4's compared
to a half-finished product running on old 604's?

-edit-
The above is my OPINION, and I actually do
believe that OS4 will be a good product 'when
it's done', and if it comes out for the Peg
I'll probably even buy it.

Offline YttriumOx

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2003, 03:23:11 AM »
@meerschaum
I understand the lack of faith in Amiga Inc.  But if you look at WHO gives out technical info regarding OS4, it's usually not Amiga Inc at all.  Hyperion are doing a splendid job, but if it were JUST them, I'd probably still have quite a few doubts.
Mostly I base my opinions on the various things said by developers of the various components, the OS4 beta-testers I know (who are altogether far too secretive mostly, but oh well, I can accept that) and my own technical knowledge of systems design - when I read something about how AmigaOS4 will do things, I think about it in relation to how the system is actually going to do things, not just what is claimed.  A good example of this is Petunia - truly a masterpiece of design IMHO.

Also keep in mind that my one experience with MorphOS was NOT good.  So, to look at it from the other perspective, I'd have to have faith in the people telling me all the good things about MorphOS.  I've never seen AmigaOS4, but that also means I've never seen it crash... I've seen MorphOS crash a LOT.

But, each to their own.  We'll all see one way or the other after both systems have been released for a few months and the bigger companies choose one way or the other.  After all, no matter how excellent a system is, without apps, there's nothing that can be done with it.

Regards,
YttriumOx
AKA Ben de Waal.

Offline YttriumOx

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2003, 03:28:57 AM »
@ -D-
The point exactly - OS4 is not a finished product yet, so that's why it's not available.  If they released it in it's current state, it would be suicide.

I couldn't agree more about OS3.9 being unprofessional.  It was a horrid series of patches and hacks on top of 3.5, which itself was a bunch of patches on top of what should have been 3.2.

But yeh, you've seen MorphOS running well and AOS4 running badly.  I've seen MorphOS running badly and never seen AOS4.  Surely my perspective isn't too hard to understand based on my experience?

Just as a side note - I haven't been keeping up recently - can anyone tell me if Genesi have decided on a date for "MorphOS is fully ready and is no longer a beta system", or is it considered that way already?  I seem to have seen conflicting views of this around...
OS4 we KNOW isn't ready... when it is, I'd like to try and do an unbiased side by side comparison, but that obviously wouldn't be fair if MorphOS isn't considered "release".

Regards,
Ben de Waal
AKA YttriumOx

Offline YttriumOx

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2003, 03:41:13 AM »
Oh, and it's offtopic, but I feel I have to comment on this:
-D- wrote:
but not professional in the sense that XP or OSX is

I really don't find XP or OSX to be professional feeling in the slightest.  They're both just "professional looking" frontends thrown over something else in a hackish sort of way (and XP is debatable if it even looks professional)
Both are quite slow for the hardware they're running on and don't handle things in a clean manner.  The print center of OSX for example just feels like a messy and hard to sort out frontend for CUPS (which is not surprising, since that's exactly what it is).  It may be okay for one printer connected to a home machine via USB, but in a large corporate environment where you've got about 30 or 40 printers connected in various ways (such as my workplace), it's quite a headache.
The most "professional" OS I've seen to date would have to be Windows 2000.  Despite the fact that I despise it's memory handling and it's horridly clumsy administration interface, it does reek of professionalism.

Regards,
Ben de Waal
AKA YttriumOx