Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Abandoned game engine #2
Abandoned game engine #2
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: Shot 2/4 of an old RTS game engine I was designing but later abandoned. It wasn't exactly ground breaking but fun, nonetheless.
See, the world is not only flat, but square, too :-)
Actually, I won't bore you all with the other two images...
Picture Stats:
Views: 3285
Filesize: 38.2kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: Karlos at September 10, 2003, 04:38:13 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (5)

mel_zoom
February 08, 2007, 07:48:16 PM
Nitpicking - how come the grass is underwater too?
Karlos
September 14, 2003, 12:55:11 AM
@lempkee

Coming from you, thats quite a compliment :-)
I really enjoyed the mental demo. The soundtrack was especially cool!
lempkee
September 11, 2003, 02:57:38 PM
this has got potential indeed.
Karlos
September 10, 2003, 06:59:09 PM
Heh, thanks :-)

It was indeed warp3d based, using a non-perspective projection (better suited to these games IMHO). It basically ran on top of an early version of an C++ OOP framework that in turn used warp3d for both 3D and 2D (where appropriate) drawing.

The whole framework idea was meant to abstract an application from the underlying hardware / OS, providing OOP APIs for graphics, sound, IO etc.

Unfortunatley, the older version upon which the engine ran had system dependencies leaking out of it all over the place - I was still a bit wet behind the ears back then.

The engine ran reasonably well, especially since the Drawing classes used pre v4 warp3d code, but there's not much point in continuing with it as it stands.

I have been developing a much cleaner version of my framwork for several months and it would be easier to start a project like this one from scratch.

However, I have something rather better in mind, but the new framework needs much completion first.
xeron
September 10, 2003, 05:13:02 PM
You should finish it, it looks pretty cool.

Was it Warp3D based or..?