Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blizzard 1220 4mb  (Read 6053 times)

Description:

Offline SnoozyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Snoozy
Re: Blizzard 1220 4mb
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 15, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
So I do need the 8 dil housing after all :roflmao: So does it matter which way the crystal is placed in the 8 dil socket?

The 1220 (without crystal but with fpu) will not work on my 1200 unless i have the jumper cover over B. Jumpers C and D i can't really get to as they look semi-blocked off?!

So i am thinking when i install the crystal oscillator i will leave jumpers A and B open (or jumper cover over A?) and the card should work with fpu at 33mhz and cpu 28mhz, i don't think i can change jumpers C and D, if you look at the photo earlier in the thread are jumpers C and D also look partially blocked off?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:31:56 PM by Snoozy »

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
Argh - how many times can people say the same things in different ways?

You do not need a 8 pin socket, you already have a socket soldered to the board.

YES - as people keep telling you, the crystal MUST be fitted with the correct orientation.

This is assuming you have the FPU fitted (or have bought one to fit).

Also, as others have said several times - the card should work without the FPU/crystal providing the jumpers are set correctly.

Your statement "C and D also look partially blocked off" concerns me as it sounds as if both of these are already jumpered?
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
hmmm TCMSLP, i don't think you've brought anything to the table with that comment :(

Offline tone007

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
It might be time to give up and move on to WinUAE!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
Apart from its use in formatting and setting up CFs, i'm not really a fan of winuae especially with the advent of WHDload over the last few years..

Offline paul1981

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Quote from: Snoozy;667948
So I do need the 8 dil housing after all :roflmao: So does it matter which way the crystal is placed in the 8 dil socket?

The 1220 (without crystal but with fpu) will not work on my 1200 unless i have the jumper cover over B. Jumpers C and D i can't really get to as they look semi-blocked off?!

So i am thinking when i install the crystal oscillator i will leave jumpers A and B open (or jumper cover over A?) and the card should work with fpu at 33mhz and cpu 28mhz, i don't think i can change jumpers C and D, if you look at the photo earlier in the thread are jumpers C and D also look partially blocked off?

If you read the manual for the 1220/4 they don't label the jumpers anything at all, they're not labelled ABCD, they're just labelled as to their function.  Look at page 5 of the manual, you need the EXTCLK jumper connected only, no others...it's simple to see which connection you need to bridge with the jumper.
To make things simple, lets look at the photo from earlier in the thread, and label them ABCD from left to right...

What you need to do is install the oscillator correctly as per the instruction guide, make sure the FPU is seated correctly, and then use ONE SINGLE jumper in position C (next to the one that's partially blocked...the 3rd from the left if looking at the picture of the card). All jumpers do is to connect pins together...they make a circuit.

Let's clarify a bit more...
Regarding jumpers, if you look at the picture from earlier in the thread of your card, you will see that there are 2 rows of 4 pins (ABCD).
You should have 2 jumpers with your card.  The one that you say is "partially blocked" is the one on the right side (D)...well because it's only over the top pin and not the one below it as well then it is not actually doing anything - it is not making the circuit, it is not making the connection between the top right pin (D) and the bottom right pin (D)...so therefore it's OPEN, ie the jumper might as well not be there.  Infact this jumper is the DISABLE jumper and if you bridge that connection then it will turn off your card (as if the card wasn't plugged in at all)...and there's little point to that so either remove that right had jumper or just leave it over the one pin as per the picture (which is the same really as removing it).

Right, there should be another jumper.  This needs to be in position C (vertical orientation) so third from the left connecting the top and bottom rows together in column C.  That's it.
If you're still unsure Snoozy, before power on maybe you could take a photo of your card for us so that we can check that everything is okay before you power on. I wouldn't like to see the card damaged if it can be helped. :)

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Hi, Paul1981, thanks for that, you're right what i thought was partially blocked off, it was half covered with a jumper, so i took that off and now C is the only one with jumper cover over (Its actually labelled ABCD on the card)

So the only thing that was confusing me was the 8 dil socket, the way i read the instructions is that an 8 dil socket is used aswell as the oscillator and the 8dil socket/crystal combo is inserted into the empty socket of the 1220 with the notches in alignment. Daedalus had said that the 8 dil socket wasn't used :confused:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
Quote from: Snoozy;667973
So the only thing that was confusing me was the 8 dil socket, the way i read the instructions is that an 8 dil socket is used aswell as the oscillator and the 8dil socket/crystal combo is inserted into the empty socket of the 1220 with the notches in alignment. Daedalus had said that the 8 dil socket wasn't used :confused:

The socket is used for clocking the FPU (not CPU) at a frequency other that 14 or 28 MHz. You only need to put an oscillator into the socket if you want to use other (higher) frequencies than 14 or 28 MHz for the FPU (not CPU).  You have an MC68882FN33A FPU I believe, and because it's rated at 33 MHz then quite rightly you have purchased a 33MHz oscillator and yes you should use it and jumper the card accordingly to make use of your oscillator (single jumper in position C only).

I wouldn't bother overclocking the FPU because the speed increase will not be that great, the performance will still be poor when compared to the FPU built into an 040 or 060 processor, so it's not really worth buying a faster oscillator. If you do though I wouldn't go above 40 MHz, it's just not worth damaging the FPU.  Saying that though, a 33MHz rated FPU will happily run at 40MHz without problems, but it's a negligable speed increase, and of course only for applications which make use of an FPU.

Have you got the card working then?

Offline TCMSLP

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
I believe your board already had the 8 pin (DIL) socket.  If your board did not have this socket, you could solder one in to allow easy replacement of the crystal.  As your board already has this, you can simply insert the crystal.  

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic before - but it seems most of the answers you're looking for have already been stated several times.

Did you ever find out if the card worked as it is - without the FPU/jumpers?  The CPU and RAM should work regardless of jumper settings unless the card is faulty ... ?

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
hi, but does the crystal oscillator insert directly into the 1220 empty socket OR do i insert the crystal oscillator into an 8 dil socket and then insert this 8dil socket/crystal combo into the empty 1220 socket??

ah just seen your reply aswell TCMSLP, so you also believe the 8 dil socket is not needed, so why does it mention using an 8 dil socket inserted into the empty socket in the instructions that Paul1981 linked to..

(Yep the card works fine at the moment with a jumper over B)

Edit: OK fitted crystal without extra 8 dil socket on consensus of opinion here and looks to be working well, let me see, sys info:

cpu: 68EC020 31.6mhz
fpu: 68882
comment: cowabunga

!!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:25:11 PM by Snoozy »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
Quote from: Snoozy;667981
hi, but does the crystal oscillator insert directly into the 1220 empty socket OR do i insert the crystal oscillator into an 8 dil socket and then insert this 8dil socket/crystal combo into the empty 1220 socket??

ah just seen your reply aswell TCMSLP, so you also believe the 8 dil socket is not needed, so why does it mention using an 8 dil socket inserted into the empty socket in the instructions that Paul1981 linked to..

(Yep the card works fine at the moment with a jumper over B)

Edit: OK fitted crystal without extra 8 dil socket on consensus of opinion here and looks to be working well, let me see, sys info:

cpu: 68EC020 31.6mhz
fpu: 68882
comment: cowabunga

!!!

If you look at the speed comparison chart in sysinfo, you should be approximately twice the speed of an A2500(14MHz 68020).

You can fit the 8 PIN DIL oscillator into the 8 PIN DIL socket into the 8 PIN DIL socket already on the board if you like, but the only benefit would be that the trapdoor cover probably won't fit on any more. :)

Offline TCMSLP

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
Good to hear you finally have this working :)

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »
Hi, yeah thanks for u 3 guys help, I think I was being overly cautious as I didn't want the blue smoke !