Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon  (Read 37910 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Amithlon
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;772438
There is a commercial version of AROS in the works. Why not wait for that before doing something with AROS68k?

Just a short question from me. On Aros 68k I can integrate almost every amiga library and they work because it runs in some sort of UAE or real hardware. Amithlon can only use special libraries that are reimplementing the 68k libraries or can you mix both Amithlon and 68k libraries like on AmigaOS/MorphOS or Aros 68k?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
Quote from: Rob;772492
I think he means ARIX.

ARIX is not Amithlon except they would implement something like that exists on AmigaOS or MorphOS on X86

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Quote from: Duce;772498
What does AROS have anything to do with Amithlon?  Not trying to be snarky, but I'll be damned if I can even begin to understand why you'd want to run AROS 68k under an Amithlon type environment when Amithlon and 3.9 work absolutely flawlessly.  An afternoon putting together old hardware and skimming EAB for the latest Amithlon info and you'll have the best Amiga you ever owned for $50.

Perhaps I am failing to see the purpose of AROS 68k at all.  What does it bring to the table that WB 3.x doesn't?  I've tried it 100 times over in AF and UAE, and it still seems like re-inventing the wheel and it's a terrible experience, imo.  

I can grab AmiKit, AF, Amithlon and a 3.5 or 3.9 CD and be up and running a modern 68k based Amiga system on commodity hardware in mere minutes.  Literally.

Baffles me why AROS 68k is so fawned over.  I'm as much of an open source dreamer as the rest, but the idea of AROS 68k + Amithlon or even running AROS 68k on legacy HW makes little sense to me.  Seems like a solution in search of a problem, but then again, WB 3+ has always worked just great for me.  I never lost sleep over not having the source code for it.

And I struggle to understand user like you... but I give up with it

I will continue with my distribution based on emulation and not recommend anyone to invest time to optimize it for legacy hardware because it seems there is not much interest and noone interested to invest in it (f.e. by doing testing and logging errors). Regarding FPGA (Apollo) I got mixed signals so I have dropped any work from my side in that direction and will concentrate on what I have but if people in future moan that AmigaOS is not in development anymore and how unjust world is and what might have happened if this or that would have happened I will remind them on their reactions and actions (or better no actions). In my view people not contributing have lost the right to moan.

"Perhaps I am failing to see the purpose of AROS 68k at all. What does it bring to the table that WB 3.x doesn't? I've tried it 100 times over in AF and UAE, and it still seems like re-inventing the wheel and it's a terrible experience, imo."

BTW thank you very much for the flowers...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:26:26 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;785484
The only way to make UAE compete with a polished Amithlon system, is to buy a PC with a FAST CPU and FAST Front Side Bus.  That is to say, faster than what your Amithlon machine is. ;)

BTW Pascal is uploading a new version of AMINUX right now (hopefully up tomorrow). It is a linux distribution directly jumping in FS-UAE with newest version of Aros Vision and running from USB-Stick. It is of course not running as fast as Amithlon on supported hardware but it runs on newer (and thus faster) hardware and it is a full UAE environment.