Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 60362 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #104 from previous page: June 03, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;642068
I agree.  However, his chance ended when he hijacked an existing brand, threatened people in the community, spread falsehoods, behaved like an arsehole, unleashed Spambots on us (Dammy) and has still failed to deliver a product.  He's had ample opportunity to undo the things he's done wrong and done nothing.  That really says it all.

WOW... took the word's right out of my mouth... :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2011, 02:23:07 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;642061
You really don't know that 2H11 would be the send half of 2011?  And you didn't now that the metric definition of 1000 is Kilo abreviated as K?  So you really didn't read A1X1K as AmigaOne X1000?  Really?  If those abbreviations flew over your head, then no wonder you post many of the things you post.  You seem to have a hard time understanding the information around you.

No sorry i didn't know that. If i saw that i would never have figured out that "2H11" was what you said it was. We don't use expressions like in my profession (accountancy/finance) so maybe i am in the wrong job?

As for your "A1X1K" i know perfectly well that K stands for 1000 but you missed the point i was trying to make. Isn't the point of using an abbreviation is to simplify and shorten text? What is so hard about typing "X1000" compared to "AIX1K". I don't understand why someone would feel the need to shorten X1000 to A1X1K. Makes no sense to me.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;642060
Actually, dammy is right. I started the thread. And even though he and I would be at odds over some things (the president for instance), I think we both agree on one point. Barry Altman and C=USA ought to be given a chance before they are written off.

Well, I'd say the people who paid for preorders have given them a chance.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »
A simple search of 2H11 shows that it is pretty commonly used, and that it is not regional.

@Darrin and Franko

The two of you are complaining about hijacking threads?  Really?  That is some pretty thick irony there.

@runequester
Yes, those that pre-orderd have given them a chance.  Just keep in mind that the C64x has not missed it's promise date from the time that pre-orders started.

I do think that it was a poor choice to take pre-orders on anything Commodore/Amiga related without a strong pre-existing track record.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;642107
@Darrin and Franko

The two of you are complaining about hijacking threads?  Really?  That is some pretty thick irony there.

Please show everyone where I complained about "hikacking threads".  Once you discover that you can't then do me a favour and learn to read.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2011, 06:21:39 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;642109
Please show everyone where I complained about "hikacking threads".  Once you discover that you can't then do me a favour and learn to read.

Apparently I was wrong about that one.  You said Hijacking BRAND, not thread.  I read that wrong. My mistake.  Sorry.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;642110
Apparently I was wrong about that one.  You said Hijacking BRAND, not thread.  I read that wrong. My mistake.  Sorry.

That's OK.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;642107
A simple search of 2H11 shows that it is pretty commonly used, and that it is not regional.

@Darrin and Franko

@runequester
Yes, those that pre-orderd have given them a chance.  Just keep in mind that the C64x has not missed it's promise date from the time that pre-orders started.

I do think that it was a poor choice to take pre-orders on anything Commodore/Amiga related without a strong pre-existing track record.

They did space out a date for Amigas, since they have been announceing them for 1 year or so? And CommodoreVISION is beta tested by end users?
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;577535
Iggy, did you ask him anything about:

1) How many employees C= USA has?
2) Does he plan to do any SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT for AROS? Or in any other way to support and promote it?

He's bought the C= name, the Amiga name rights, and plans to sell x86 boxes in old C= style cases and throw on bundled OS's.   Not very exciting and not interesting if he doesn't plan to support and augment AROS development.

1) So far we know of Leo Negro (nice name and surname!) or BigAussie
and BarryAltman. Probably few more persons
2) Leo promised AROS bounty, but didn`t deliver. So far they did no real software development.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:54 PM »
Yeah, development isn't really something they do. Aside from electric-blue GNOME skins, anyway.

I'm at a loss to explain why this thread is being revived after six months, though.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Tension

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2011, 02:12:24 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;642072

As for your "A1X1K" i know perfectly well that K stands for 1000 but you missed the point i was trying to make. Isn't the point of using an abbreviation is to simplify and shorten text? What is so hard about typing "X1000" compared to "AIX1K". I don't understand why someone would feel the need to shorten X1000 to A1X1K. Makes no sense to me.

A1X1K is short for 'AmigaOne X1000', not just 'X1000' ;)

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:06 AM »
Quote from: vox;671530
2) Leo promised AROS bounty, but didn`t deliver. So far they did no real software development.

When? I don't remember them promising anything with regards to AROS bounties. There were requests for them to support the community in this way (bet they wish they did now, doing so would probably have avoided most of this backlash), but no promises on their part, as far as I recall.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2011, 04:56:06 AM »
Will be as productive as all the other Q & A sessions.  The last one was from Red, a real nice and sharp fellow, who later got drafted into the cult.

Tell C-USA to put up or shut up.  I tried to get some basic answers to questions both here and on their forums, and I was banned on their forums, lol.  The questions were BEYOND politely phrased.

Mail a test unit of his machines to Engadget or another well established media unit.  While I am not fan of them on basic principle, for all I know they might make one hell of a machine.  If I were the one running a company that makes a machine they are proud of, I would have absolutely STORMED every media outlet with product to spread the word.  I would LOVE to read a real positive, unbiased review of their offerings - a company with confidence in their products should have done this from day one.  IIRC, one of the A.org dudes (Rich?) asked to get a review unit and nothing more was ever said about if they followed up on that one.

I do wonder why, after what - nearly 2 years? of the company being outright jerks to the Amiga community as a whole, telling us constantly we "are not their market", they still even feign interest in us, you know?.  A journalist writes something that they don't like and he gets personally slandered and called a homosexual.

More to the point of your question, things I'd like to see asked:

1 - the Amiga line has been rumored to be super high end, workstation grade PC's.  Comparing basic preliminary build specs they have mentioned, they are expensive in regards to other workstation vendors.  How do they intend on being competitive in the workstation market in regards to that, and how does the "Commodore OS" deal fit in there?  A reskinned Linux distro isn't a selling point on $20,000 systems.  No one in this day and age that is buying a Workstation PC gives 1 flying **** about an Amiga sticker or badge.  The Toaster days are long, long gone.

2 - issues of passing things off as their own, as someone else mentioned - the one rendered Miggy model they had at one time in their "prototype" areas.  A fanpic with artist credits removed - that left a real bad taste in the mouths of the community, and all they ever really said about was "oopsie", just like the purported "factory" pics.

3 - supporting the old timers.  We have been told we are not their market, but they still persist on gunning for us here and elsewhere.  Have they considered actually SUPPORTING the scene, whether it be via bounties or perhaps sponsoring classic C and Amiga conventions and events rather than just say "WE ARE THE ONE TRUE COMMODORE/AMIGA" and selling commodity HW with a re badged Linux distro?  There's an awful lot of meaningless lip service going on.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
redrumedalion
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2011, 05:27:10 AM »
How come you get a medal next to your handle? I want a medal. wah!
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
Re: redrumedalion
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
Quote from: Duce;671553

3 - supporting the old timers.  We have been told we are not their market, but they still persist on gunning for us here and elsewhere.  Have they considered actually SUPPORTING the scene, whether it be via bounties or perhaps sponsoring classic C and Amiga conventions and events rather than just say "WE ARE THE ONE TRUE COMMODORE/AMIGA" and selling commodity HW with a re badged Linux distro?  There's an awful lot of meaningless lip service going on.

But think about the implications that this would have. If they were to fully support the Amiga community what would they do with it? If Barry invested in NatAmi or whatever he would completely **** it up. No thanks. I for one am glad he is not directly involved in the community and i hope he stays there. This way he can't bastardize our little precious community. We are better off without him.

Quote from: weirdami;671555
How come you get a medal next to your handle? I want a medal. wah!

It just means you are the highest poster. It used to be franko with like 16.5 posts a day! So if you want the medal get posting.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
So when is this CUSA Amiga line coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be this Christmas?   :confused: