Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X-Amiga  (Read 6497 times)

Description:

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
Re: X-Amiga
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:53:10 AM »
It looks quite straightforward to include CatWeasel drivers... However, the floppy driver is read-only (http://www.soundtracker.org/raw/cwfloppy/).

I also don't like the idea of a startup menu (just personal preference). It'd be possible to implement one, but some programming is required (= more delay). At the moment the system boots straight into Amiga OS.

LinuxBIOS is still experimental and only works on limited hardware. Current BIOS chips don't enough memory to contain a kernel for a desktop system (embedded kernels are much smaller), so although it's a great idea, there's still a way to go.

As for detecting the presence of config files on SD cards (or other flash devices) - yes, shouldn't be too hard to do!

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
Since people are wondering what's happening: I'm putting together a boot CD at the moment... Everything else works fine.

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
@gdanko:

I apologise. To be fair, it's only because I mentioned it (and someone found the website) that questions started rolling in, and I had to answer with something.

I also didn't realise that the project's final 1% would be so tough. Nearly there...

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
@tom_a_spar

It's been widely reported...

A fix is provided in the FAQ on the main website, and I'll be releasing an updated version in the next few days.

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
Re: X-Amiga for PS3???
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:58 AM »
@Lernatix

As soon as the x86 version is working properly, I intend to start work on a PPC version for Mac.

I don't know much about the PS3 - I can see various versions of Linux have been installed, but how do you use a desktop OS on a gaming console??

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
@JJ
X-Amiga was built using Gentoo - and Gentoo runs on PS3. I'm not suggesting a port would be easy, but that's one less obstacle!

@ral-clan
Minimum hardware requirements: I'm not sure either! My development machine is a VIA Epia 600MHz with 1GB RAM, and E-UAE runs very smoothly. On the other hand, my test laptop is an old Sony Vaio (Intel Pentium III) running at about 400MHz with 128MB RAM, and it visibly labours...

@amigadave
X-Amiga only runs on Linux. The system is also far smaller than Amiga XL (which used QNX to host UAE). While Linux apps are supposedly quite easy to port to QNX, the kernels are very different - it would probably be a major project.

Amir

Offline Fraccy

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
@neofree

KX Light is a superb live UAE. It uses Knoppix as a base, and 'just works', never any problems (for me).  I'm sure Cloanto are working on a hard disk installer; that was really the only missing feature!