Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Help  (Read 2556 times)

Description:

guest1955

AROS Help
« on: March 24, 2004, 10:33:44 PM »
Hey all.
I decided to give AROS a go, but when I boot from the CD (I burnt the Native 386 Nightly Build) it stops; repeating the text:
"Bootable disc not found"
"Please insert a bootable disc"
"Retrying 5"
"4"
"3"
"2"
"1"
Repeat ad-infinitum.

My system is a AMD Athlon 1ghz, with 1280megs of RAM and a Kyro 2 64mb graphics card. I'm pretty sure that it is the Kyro that is the problem (I have tried it on another system, that have an ATI Rage, and that brought up Wanderer). Any ideas as to a work around?

Offline DFergATL

• Show only replies by DFergATL
Re: AROS Help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:24:43 AM »
I had this problem.  For me it turned out to be that CD-ROM was a "slave" and not "master" on my IDE cable I switched it around and it worked.  This was sometime back and my memory could be incorrect, but this is what I believe worked for me.

Sir, I believe that we have a problem with your brain being missing.  -Firefly-

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:30:53 AM »
could also try
Smart Boot Manager

or be sure the bootable CDROMdrive is plugged to the end/last connector on ide and that the jumper is set to master and cmos is set to boot from CDROM first
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

guest1955

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 12:39:11 AM »
Ahh! I *have* got my CD Rom drive set as a slave on the Primary IDE Bus. If that's the problem, then you sir, are a true hero!

Offline DFergATL

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 04:00:49 PM »
Let me know if this worked for ya, please.

Dave

guest1955

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
It did not work! :-(
It all begins to go pair shaped when it trys to mount DH0:
My disc is partitioned in two parts: the first partition is NTFS and is about 60Gb and the second is FAT and 10Gb. Is the problem linked with NTFS? If so, what is the solution? Make the disc into 3 partitions: Boot, ???-Whatever AROS likes and then followed by NTFS?

Offline DFergATL

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
Not entirely positive what you are tying to do here.  It looks like you are trying to install to HD.  As far as I know AROS will only install to a master drive on the primary IDE channel.  It will take over the entire drive an does not like partitions.  I personall use an old 8gig drive to play with AROS on.  When I want to boot into AROS I simply change the boot drive in my BIOS.  At this time AROS does not read other file systems.  But there is a bounty for FAT(32?) being worked on.  Also there is an open bounty for improving the installer.  Head on over to Team Aros if you like and anyone can donate to these.  Every donation helps, tust me on this one.  I only do a little here and there when I have extra.  You can even start a new one if you like.  There has been a lot of progress on AROS recently and things seem to be moving at a faster pace than before.

http://www.thenostromo.com/teamaros/

FYI - Just by way of disclaimer.  I am not on the AROS dev team, nor do I devlope for AROS.  I have been downloading and playing with it for some time and these are just things I have learned over time.  Everything is subject to change.

guest1955

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 09:44:01 PM »
I haven't tried installing to Harddisk- I have simply tried to boot using the CD-Rom containing the AROS Image.

Offline DFergATL

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 10:11:18 PM »
sorry, misunderstood.  hmmmm.  Well, this is what I would try.  If possiable try to boot it with nothing but the CD drive connected.  That shuold tell us if it is the HD causing the problem or not.  I would also send an email to teamaros-request@thenostromo.com with as much info as you can. The people there are great.  I am sorry that I was not able to resolve the issue for you.  Best of luck.

Dave

guest1955

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 10:42:51 PM »
I tried it after disconnecting everything except the CD Drive, and it stalled at detecting the Floppy, so I plugged it back in, and it did carried on doing the original problem. :-(
So, it looks like my only option is suicide.

Offline DFergATL

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 01:16:55 AM »

tangletown wrote:
I tried it after disconnecting everything except the CD Drive, and it stalled at detecting the Floppy, so I plugged it back in, and it did carried on doing the original problem. :-(
So, it looks like my only option is suicide.

No, no, no.  Send an email to the address in my previous post.  Give as much info as possiable.  

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 03:44:58 AM »
First question is do you have a floppy drive and if so, is it USB?

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

guest1955

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 01:53:35 PM »
I do have a floppy drive, and is isn't USB.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 05:07:20 PM »
I have this problem on one of my test machines.

The only solution I can give is to download the AROS Boot Floppy and insert it into the driver when asked.

The problem is, IMHO, caused by the Floppy emulation that we use on the Boot CD. NicJA is/was looking into this problem, as it casues problems in Bochs too.

Out of interest is the Chips set an ALi Magic1? I have nothing but problems with that chipset :-(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 10:06:19 PM »
The problem is, IMHO, caused by the Floppy emulation that we use on the Boot CD. NicJA is/was looking into this problem, as it causes problems in Bochs too.

Update, NicJA has fixed this now, I will check this out in the next few days and see it that's resolved the problem :-)

He has removed the floppy emulation and made it so AROS boots directly from the CD.