Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga A1200 query on games Software failure  (Read 211 times)

Description:

Offline swood123Topic starter

• Show only replies by swood123
Amiga A1200 query on games Software failure
« on: March 10, 2024, 03:27:54 PM »
Hi all,

I have an Amiga A1200 but new to this computer.  I previously had an A500+ a long time ago.  I have performed a number of updates and bought my own copy of Workbench 3.1.  I also have a PiStorm fitted to the machine which increases the speed somewhat.  Also, just bought myself a Gotek and I although new to this I have worked out how to copy software from the Gotek back to disks etc. and I suppose the next step is adding a switch so I can fool the Amiga into thinking the Gotek is drive DF0 etc. 

My problem is I am struggling to play any games on the Amiga either via floppy or directly via the Gotek.  I keep getting software failures.  I havent yet recapped the board (only just received a recap kit), but I have checked over the caps to ensure no leakage etc.  I am wondering if I need to upgrade the actual ROMs on the board itself to 3.1 minimum?  I initially assumed not as thought the PiStorm32 lite took over from these but do I have this correct?

Regards
Steven

Offline vince_6

Re: Amiga A1200 query on games Software failure
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 07:30:21 PM »
The A1200 is not so compatible with old games, especially when you have cpu above 020.
There are some "aga fixed" disks out there.
The best solution is to use WHDLoad.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

The following users thanked this post: swood123

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 07:32:28 PM »
Games that came on floppy disks are usually "classic" ones, that are banging the hardware directly and somewhat assume the same standard Amiga equipped with 1 Meg  of RAM only.

Most of these games are coded with dirty tricks to speed up performance which in todays day and age do not work on faster CPUs, like the 030 or 040 or 060 - and the Pistorm too, which behaves lke a really fast 040.

That's why most games are installed onto the hard disk (or SSD) and are executed through an compatibility layer called WHDLoad.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 09:30:06 PM »
There are ways to play the older games. You need to get hold of either the following:

- Switchable ROMS which contain Version 1.3
- A ROM degrader which you can boot off Floppy or GOTEK to bring the system down to ROM 1.3

Even then, there are no guarantees.

As what people have eluded to, WHDload is the way.

Offline swood123Topic starter

• Show only replies by swood123
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 03:26:19 PM »
Ok so I am going to have to learn WHDload also....  Maybe this is a job for a Friday :)

Thanks all for response.

Regards

Steven

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 02:31:19 AM »
Worth a watch about setting up WHDload:

https://youtu.be/olRHScYz3KI?si=Re7liueKWnwnhm14