Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does Linux have an Amiga feel?  (Read 16400 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
Re: Does Linux have an Amiga feel?
« on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
Hi,

Although Linux and Amiga OS are designed basically off the same family, Unix. Linux was designed by a bunch of geeks that speak an entirely new, difficult language, with long numbered version numbers that actually make no sense. I have been using Linux for close to 20 years now, and some of the stuff that they do, I ask why, there actually seems to be no pattern to Linux, but when you get deep down into it, there is. It is just learning the hundreds of patterns to figure out what they are doing. The only operating system that is worse is Windows. Not only don't you know what is supposed to be in the windows os, but where they put the stuff. I doubt that even Microsoft knows what files go where in their system, that is why I believe they have so much trouble with hackers and virus's.

Can Linux be a substitute for the Amiga OS, I would say yes, if we could reprogram the hundred step file and hide process.

Would it be worth it?

Not really, because the Amiga users today have no direction, and a lot of them would still be wanting PPC orientated cpu's.

I myself think that AMD's eight core CPU's are the greatest, and if used correctly would become one bang up multi tasking machine.

Intels eight core CPU's are faster, but the money is huge, not really fit for the average home user.

I just want an answer to this question:

Does the PPC Cpu come with a hand crank to get it started and instead of kickstart would you call it crank start?

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:29:16 AM »
Gentlemen!!

Amiga OS and Linux are both off shoots of Unix, no they aren't exactly the same, but underneath in the hardware they use the same principles, they give instructions to the hardware to do certain stuff while the processor only comes into use when the hardware is over run with instructions. You have to remember back in the old days Unix was the only OS that was multi tasking and it did that by instructing the hardware to handle functions like video and sound. Other systems that said that they were multi tasking actually were time sharing where the cpu gave out the instructions or commands and time shared between programs. This is what made windows so slow at first compared to the smoothness of the Amiga.
Don't know if I really explained that right, I am tired from working on a roof all day putting up a TV antenna, yep out with the new (cable) and in with the old ( Airwave) I came down to the point where I got sick and tired of paying for commercials and infomercials when I receive better movies and shows on antenna TV.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;739275
smerf, you are in rare form today: wrong on absolutely every single count.

For one thing, as previously discussed, Amiga OS is not an offshoot of Unix; if they do share similarities, it's from Amiga OS being based on TriPOS, which spawned in the same pools of primordial mainframe ooze that Unix did. The notion that the processor (on either Unix systems or Amigas) only does things when the peripheral hardware is too busy is patently ridiculous because A. they have distinct and only partly overlapping sets of capabilities, and B. the entire point of the processor is to run software. "Time-sharing" is multitasking (often preemptive) and multiple mainframe OSes implemented it years before Unix even existed.

You have no idea what you're talking about...

Uh, OK, there Commodorejohn, the only thing I ask is please don't get into running computers with the united states satellite division, where we run Xenix, Unix, Windows, CPM, DOS and at NASA even used AmigaOS to recieve pictures from outer space.

And you are right sir, I have no idea what I am talking about, since we have been loading up hardware with buffered instructions since we did not have the memory or hardware when we first started out using computers, the first computer that we had had about 40 cards in it, with magnetic memory modules, we used a system called mini code (4 bit instructions) with a type of Unix to run the systems. We could run 4 different systems by time sharing with the unix type mincode to give instructions to the buffered hardware so that it would not slow down (remember hardware takes more time than electronic signals).

Oh btw I still have my original BCPL books from the start date of the Amiga, somewhere up in the attic.

In order to make brash statements, first you have to define Unix, since most of you are to young to remember what the original Unix was about, and even if you did you couldn't afford it, since my copy cost around $43,000 at that time (gov't purchased). Today we have switched over to a new language that is more of a control and easier language to program.

Tell me ever play with cobal, turbo pascal, pascal, or mini code.

Oh by the way I spent about 2 years programming the Amiga's for those NASA space shots, I did work for Commodore you know, but I was really better at sales. Not as much hard work as programming.

and btw, I never said that the Amiga was Unix, I said it was an off shoot of Unix, which means that it has multi tasking features, and the reason the Amiga is so good at multi tasking is because you can give the hardware sound and video chips buffered instructions to decrease the CPU from givning all the commands (remember cpu's can only initiate one command at a time) but by buffering the chips (or hardware) with several instructions, as the instructions are being used the CPU rests, until the hardware tells it I am done with your last instructions waiting for more.

OK
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:26:08 AM by smerf »

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »
@commodorejohn,

OK, spent all day up in the attic and opening up over 20 boxes of old electronic parts and books, disks, magazines, etc.

the only thing I could find associating the Amiga with Unix or even the word Unix was in an old Amiga magazine that said that the Amiga had a exec that multi tasked just like Unix but only took up 256k of resources. I always thought that the Amiga was an off shoot of Unix, due to its multi tasking but wow, I am wrong twice in one year. Now I know that I have been tied up in learning Windows and Linux, but has my mind been that warped to have me forget the Amiga that bad.
Well any way, I found all my original Rom Kernal, OS, books, Intuition etc. I have the complete collection. Great stuff, first time I read them since oh probably 1989 or so.
Been completely engulfed in learning new languages at work during the past 8 years, but know that I am retired have time to get back to the Amiga, and other systems that I want to build and play with.

Hats off to you commodorejohn, you beat me this time, I will see to it that it doesn't happen again.

Hmmm the old brain is getting senile.