Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You thought the X1000 was overpriced?  (Read 5766 times)

Description:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: You thought the X1000 was overpriced?
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;660684
The difference will be that the A1 won't be obsolete, the C=USA machines will be, because while we're still running our own software on our own OS, the C=USA machine will have to keep up with other Linux/Windows systems. In 5 years, the A1 will still be high-end to us Amiga users, and any x86 box will be considered ancient.
For proof of that you just need to look at the prices of OS4 hardware compared to the equivalent age x86 boxes.

Jeez...only in OS4 land is ineffectiveness and obsolescence considered a plus.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;660697
Hint: it sure as hell ain't gonna make 'em rich.

But hey, I've been waiting for a spectacular flameout like this since around the time Barry started getting angry with people for not thinking that renting an office in a strip mall made him Big Cheese in the retrocomputing world.

Well, they do their math, enjoying their ups and downs but competing in x86 market is harsh thing to do. Commodore64x mania will probably wear out by the next year, so in PeeCee world something new is welcome. We ll se how they will do their job by 2013.

Latest one we can learn (usual with CUSA now) is that it will not be the design presented on website. And big thing will be when we see the most secret OS of all times - CommodoreOS

Hope MorphOS 3.0 and maybe even AmigaOS 4.2 will be out by then as well as some AROS updates to enjoy the real developments.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
I don't know whats scarier about this who thing. The fact that Barry himself believes that he can just enter the high-end market without so much as an introduction. But that he has other people on that forum thinking it's a great idea selling these things. I want to know who came up with the research saying that he was entering a niche market.

I also want to know who came up the phrase "prosumer" because I want to kick them in the testicles for that one.

I can't work out why Dammy is trying to compare 80's money with todays money on the low-end systems. Isn't the whole point of the low-end Amiga's that they provided a good entry point into the Amiga's. And that they were also affordable to the masses.

======
I mentioned this whole new Amiga pricing thing to a friend of mine in our hospitals IT department. He nearly dropped to the floor laughing. His exact words were "Even at two thousand dollars it best wash the dishes and service me in that way." Needless to say I doubts that we will be getting any of these things.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:04:26 PM by CritAnime »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
Quote from: vox;660705
Well, they do their math, enjoying their ups and downs but competing in x86 market is harsh thing to do. Commodore64x mania will probably wear out by the next year, so in PeeCee world something new is welcome. We ll se how they will do their job by 2013.
What mania? The reaction to the C64x outside of the Commodore/Amiga community totalled one brief moment of "huh, really?" when it got its first real publicity in the outside world, followed by a handful of tech-site articles noting that "well, uh, it's a nice case, but it's just a mid-range Atom board in there, so...what's the big deal, again?" Hell, there was as much interest in CUSA generated when Barry theratened to sue OSNews. And we haven't seen the sales numbers (or rather, the real ones, not the dammy ones,) but I guarantee you if it were anything even close to 100,000 there would be a whole lot more crowing from the CUSA sycophants.

It's all but disappeared down the public-interest hole, and considering that by more than a few accounts the end-user experience has consisted of pestering Barry to fix the cooling problems until he stopped pouting and put in another fan, that's probably merciful. They don't need to revive interest, they need to let it die down until everybody has completely forgotten and then start fresh.
And big thing will be when we see the most secret OS of all times - CommodoreOS
Hint: it's going to be a Linux distribution with a custom skin on the window manager. If he's feeling really wild it might be FreeBSD.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:07:35 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
It's interesting to note that most of the articles that you see floating around the net about CUSA tend to be the same ones. Just masses of bots and people cutting and pasting into personal blogs and sites. I can imagine the new Amiga range will see the same: which will make Barry think it's a roaring success.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »
Quote from: Akiko;660654
If somebody really has to purchase a computer with a $25,000 price tag, I imagine they will want to acquire it from a large multinational that offers support and warranty, not some obscure little computer company that will likely fade into oblivion as Commodore Gaming did before.

It probably won't be  a "someone" but "some company" that buys it for video production for $25K.    It may not make sense right now, but let the rest of the pieces of the puzzle fall into place and then make a judgement call.  Amiga was always Commodore's highest multi media system, it won't be any different under C=USA.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
Quote from: dammy;660711
It probably won't be  a "someone" but "some company" that buys it for video production for $25K.    It may not make sense right now, but let the rest of the pieces of the puzzle fall into place and then make a judgement call.  Amiga was always Commodore's highest multi media system, it won't be any different under C=USA.

Do you use KY for Barry?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline dammy

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
Quote from: desiv;660659
I tend to defend C-USA.  Not because I like them or intend to buy them, but because I think the hate tends to be exaggerated..

But $25k?????  Seriously???
And you're calling it an Amiga??  No way...

Call it a Mac IIFX reborn, maybe.  That thing was off the charts price wise when it was released..

desiv

Wait and see what hardware is included for $25K desktop system that business will buy.  Hint, it will not be the same as you find in the AIO Commodore Amigas that will run 1/10th the price.
Dammy

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
BIG HINT!!

Quote from: dammy;660714
$25K desktop system

Sounds like your gonna give us something that Dell, Apple, HP and all the others have been giving us for years. Saying desktop makes it sound like we are not gonna see anything server related.

Offline dammy

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;660666
Just ordered a complete virtual & redundant server infrastructure (small scale) for ~30k€ yesterday.

What are those guys thinking anyone would do with a system for 25k? Completely bananas.

Go ask your local TV or Cable company on what they are currently using.  The high end Commodore Amigas will not be sitting collecting dust but in use to make money.  Now I could see some AIO Commodore Amigas sitting on a normal person's desk being use to surf the web and play games but certainly not the high end desktops.
Dammy

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
You do know that corporate customers will expect a little more support than "check the ubuntu forum" right?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
Quote from: dammy;660711
Quote from: dammy;660714
Wait and see what hardware is included for $25K  desktop system that business will buy.  Hint, it will not be the same as  you find in the AIO Commodore Amigas that will run 1/10th the  price.
Ah, "wait and see," dammy's go-to argument. Riddle me this, exactly what pieces of the puzzle could fall into place to make this not insane? The high-end workstation market is already saturated with vendors who all have longer and better track records than CUSA, and I would bet better pricing as well. A zombie brand name is going to change any of that, even less so than in the home market.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
Why not show us some pictures, renders, pre-production stuff of the new Amiga's then. After all you were ramming them down our throats when the C64x and VIC's were been released. Let us judge for ourselves on whether these systems are worth it.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:33 PM »
The hardware for this $25k machine will still be overpriced compared to the competition.  You will not be buying Quadro's or PCIe SSD's in 1000+ lot quantities to be a reasonable player in the market.  Anyone that can add 2 + 2 can do the math.

Your support will still be lacking compared to your competitors.
There's reports of calls for support to your company going unanswered, questions not answered, your CEO making sexual slurs against detractors, as well as him insulting the community as a whole.  That might be tolerated by the penny ante retro crowd, but it won't be by the big boys.

There's stories of people having DOA 64's arrive at their door, keyboards and wifi entirely unworking, overheating problems all over the place.  If you are going to go after the high end market, simply throwing shiny components into a shiny case isn't enough.  It wasn't enough for Voodoo even, much less a company making the jump from $600 Atom boxes to $25k wonder machines.

And once again, how is this new "Amiga" workstation an "Amiga" in the least, lol?  No one would have a single gripe about the company if they knocked off the charade of being the "savior of the Amiga".  You're raping the corpse of a once well established brand, and nothing more - least you could do is be honest about it.

Offline dammy

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;660716
BIG HINT!!

Sounds like your gonna give us something that Dell, Apple, HP and all the others have been giving us for years. Saying desktop makes it sound like we are not gonna see anything server related.

AFAIK, it would be better described as workstations, depending on which Commodore Amiga you are referring to.  Let me give you a hint, I've been pointing out multi media as a primary target for the high end systems.  There is some very expensive multi media hardware out there that would easily jack the price up to $25K or better.  I wonder who could be producing that hardware:

http://www.************.net/CUSA_StrategicPartners.aspx
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:56:52 PM by dammy »
Dammy

Offline dammy

« Reply #44 from previous page: September 22, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
Quote from: runequester;660718
You do know that corporate customers will expect a little more support than "check the ubuntu forum" right?

I covered that with Barry on my recent phone call with him.   Things will  be come much clearer in the next few months; if not sooner.
Dammy