Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 32377 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
I voted AROS. I won't pay ridiculous money for 10 year old speed ppc hardware just to run amiga os4. Their closed model, and rape everyone left for every penny you can and give them as little power as possible "strategy" dosn't appeal to me.

They are killing themselves staying on ridiculous expensive slow ass old hardware. Don't mention X1000 to me because its not real yet, so what is the fastest amiga os4 machine you can buy now? 1ghz? I think I got a 1ghz computer in the year 2000. Come on man, really.

Aros runs beautifully on just about any pc. Add a sblive (20$) an intel network card (20$) and an fx550 nvidia card for 40$ and you've got a fantastic machine for very little investment. I also love knowing aros can never die, or be controlled by fucktards.

MORPHOS is my second choice. PPC Macs are priced reasonably for what you get. I just wish they finish support for g5 macs. If they did that I think I'd buy a g5 ppc mac and morph right away.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »
I agree that morphos is probably more polished, but you have to remember, AROS is also open source and runs on just about any spare pc anyone has laying around.

I keep saying someday I'll get a mac mini or emac to try morphos out, but so far I haven't yet. If it ran on x86 I'd probably have tried it right away.

Convienance is often an overlooked factor in choice of os. AROS is easier to try and easier to get an extra system to play with it on.

Open source is also a very attractive part of why I like AROS.

Steven

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
Bloodline, I first booted aros from a floppy ages ago. I was so excited at the time to see it run on x86/vga. (even if it did almost nothing then) Aros for 68k is odd to me, but I suppose its like coming home in a sense. I think I'd be very excited to see aros running on my 1200.

Steven