Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 32544 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #224 from previous page: May 24, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
Hmm...oddly, it looks like there aren't very many tools for classic Amiga that handle both tarball and bzip - you might have to decompress it with bunzip first and then use untar to unpack it. That's a bit frustrating...

Oh, beaten. Eh, what the hell, I'll leave it for posterity.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »
Quote from: Forcie;639994
Here are the proper decompressors if you are interested in trying:
http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/AmiGNUtar
http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/bzip2_68k

bzip2 might require ixemul.library, I am not sure since I have had it installed on all my AmigaOS installations since the 90s. :)

Well as I've just tried every unarchiving util I have (including PPC versions) and got more errors than can be found in a CUSA press release, I'll download those ones and give them a go (although I'm pretty sure bzip2 I've already just tried)... :)

If that fails then would someone please email in whichever year that AROS finally becomes available for it to be un-archived easily on an Amiga, I can be found in the usual place (just under the big yellow mushroom)...ta ... :)

« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
:cry:

Wibble... :(

AmiGNUTar (sounds like some sort of wee Russian fishwife) no luck there... :( (and it's "help" option has obviously been written by a PC junkie high on meths or Swahili, hard to tell really)... :crazy:

Bzip2, only contains the archiver it tells you to use Bunzip2, which just happens not to include in the archive (gawd geeza brek)... :(

ME... I'm going back under the mushroom for now... so I'll just read about AROS for the time being until someone decides to archive it in usable manner... :insane:

I used to be normal once upon a time, long, long ago in the far off distant future... :)

Why do turtles even bother being turtles... :)

Me dog aint died today, but there's time yet... :)

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »
Quote from: Franko;640003
:cry:
AmiGNUTar (sounds like some sort of wee Russian fishwife) no luck there... :( (and it's "help" option has obviously been written by a PC junkie high on meths or Swahili, hard to tell really)... :crazy:

No, tar (=the Tape Archiver) was written sometime back in the 1960's for creating archives to record from mainframes onto big magnetic tape drives for backup purposes. The concept of a "PC" was not even invented back then.

But ok, I get it. Perhaps you should not dabble too much with this for now.
I or someone else might create an easier install solution for you later.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:41:59 PM by Forcie »

« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Quote from: Forcie;640005
But ok, I get it. Perhaps you should not dabble too much with this for now.
I or someone else might create an easier install solution for you later.

That would be neat if you could as I would really like to give AROS a go myself to see just what it is capable of so far... :)

Offline trip6

• Show only replies by trip6
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
I dont have anything running AROS but I was wondering... How is the games compatability on AROS? Do old amiga 68k games run well on that platform? AGA Games? What about WHDLOAD? For most gamers that would be a deal breaker for the OS. I know that Morph and OS4.1 have specific games written for them but no real backwards compatability as I understand it to run old 68k amiga games. Maybe someone could clarify.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Quote from: trip6;640015
I dont have anything running AROS but I was wondering... How is the games compatability on AROS? Do old amiga 68k games run well on that platform? AGA Games? What about WHDLOAD? For most gamers that would be a deal breaker for the OS. I know that Morph and OS4.1 have specific games written for them but no real backwards compatability as I understand it to run old 68k amiga games. Maybe someone could clarify.

for instance i was able to run aros port of xinvaders3d, a game in concept similar to famous battlezone, on an a4k/aga. admittedly it looked like a slideshow. ive made a 68k port of this game some time ago dependant on a limited set of x11 libraries available there, and it worked quite well on chunky, never tried on planar though, dont even think it would work. conclusion is aros is surely bale to give you what os3.x gives since games do not make frequent system calls or maybe better. at this point limited to original amiga hardware ecs/ocs/aga it will rather disappoint.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
@Franko

Very odd, I can't find the boot 68k disk on the AROS website... here is my build:

http://www.cutiemish.com/bootdisk-amiga-m68k.adf

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
Quote from: Franko;639981
Ok I went to the site and downloaded the following file :-

AROS-20110524-amiga-m68k-system.tar.bz2

Problem number 1:- As seems to be typical these days for things that folk have written or archived using a PC, the filename is TOO LONG for it to be recognised on a REAL Amiga... :(

right, its sometimes difficult to find a right tool on amiga. still i managed to download full svn repositories, so it should be possible to unarc a tar.gz or whatever it is on an amiga. lemme take look.

PS: Who is "Wawa" is he a hobbit that didn't make it into the films... :confused:

i go by nicks like "wawa" or "wawrzon" on a number of amiga sites, just for a clarification. i bet you will recognize me when met another place.

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;640026
@Franko

Very odd, I can't find the boot 68k disk on the AROS website... here is my build:

Thank you very much for that Bloodline, just download it and gonna try it now, much appreciated... :)

PS:I'll be back in a while to either...

Let you know how good it is... :)

or

How bad it is... :(

Or

Just to say something that makes no sense at all... :D

Place your bets now... ;)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;640026
@Franko

@bloodline, franko:
its contained in the "distfiles" directory of aros68k archive

« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;640029
right, its sometimes difficult to find a right tool on amiga. still i managed to download full svn repositories, so it should be possible to unarc a tar.gz or whatever it is on an amiga. lemme take look.

i go by nicks like "wawa" or "wawrzon" on a number of amiga sites, just for a clarification. i bet you will recognize me when met another place.

Cheers Wawrzon, I'll give the ADF Bloodline kindly supplied first... :)

PS: Wawa... hmm... sounds more like an ewok than a hobbit now that I think about it, need to have a look through me Star Wars collection and see if I can find you... :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »
Quote from: Franko;640032

PS: Wawa... hmm... sounds more like an ewok than a hobbit now that I think about it, need to have a look through me Star Wars collection and see if I can find you... :)
My build is quite old, so after trying mine... give the one in the latest build a go as stated by wawrzon.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
@franko:
file name length is mainly a limitation of used file system on amiga. you can use pfs3
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/PFS3_53.lha
which has become open source and freeware these days.
install it on a partition, watch for the right dostype. then consult pfs3.guide and set the right filename lengt with pfs3directory../tools/setfnsize from the shell.
should be enough guidance for an old amigan. if you need a step-by step i will return to it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: Franko;640032

its short for polish "wawrzyniec", means "laurent". lol. best use the adf from the current nightly. use adf2disk from aminet to decompress it to a floppy. older versions may interact strangely with current aros build.

« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Ok... First off thanks to Bloodline for the AROS ADF to let me see for myself just what this thing is all about... :)

I thought I'd mark the occasion of me actually using a different OS on me miggy by making a wee video of the whole process from start to finish... :)
(felt a bit like christmas actually)... :)

However... It didnae wurk... :(

Nowt but a quick greenish flash and a never ending black screen... :(

Oh well you've read the posts, now watch the movie... :)

(popcorn is optional)... :)

AROS (Not) on me A1200, a story of adventure & excitement that ended in tragedy and epic failure... :)
(soundtrack not available on any good record labels... thank gawd)... :)
[youtube]Vtg1412W48Q[/youtube]