Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 27042 times)

Description:

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
If you need some hints and tips, please tell me. I don't really know anymore what is new and unusual for a classic user. If there is something I can write about on my blog, I will. It is geared torwards new and inexperienced users like myself :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
I'm not really sure what you mean by "use the redt of the drive safely". FFS is really stable and you can make as many partitions as you like. FFS can handle up to 127 GB.

I would recommend though that you make your system drive a little bigger. Like 10 GB just in case. I myself have 50 GB, but that's because I like to have my programs in my SYS drive. It let the HDD not having to jump around all the time.

Pach Chrysalis is the same as Pack Ultimate. I like it a lot, even if it's not always reliable. But you also need to get Grunch. It's probably the most important program for MorphOS there is :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
1. Yes, you can use the unused space with HDToolbox. No limitations AFAIK.

2. The standard FFS works best. But you can also read and write other standard formats like FAT32 without problem. You can also read NTFS, but not write. There is a way to use larger partitions by using iceFS but it's still not reliable so I don't recommend it.

3. 2 GB used to be the limitation with FFS, but I think it can handle bigger nowadays. Not sure though.

4. You can read big USB HDD drives if you want to watch the movies.

5. It does, but I still think 2 GB isn't enough. So I recommend a reinstall :)

6. Pack Chrysalis makes a lot of changes and tweaks that doesn't always work well. But I still recommend it for new users.

7. Yep, that's Grunch :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
@danwood

Good move! The 3.5 version had a lot of issues so it's good that is fixed. My installation is from 3.2 and I've only updated with Grunch since :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
I tested iceFS once and got read/write error after the first reboot.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
@amigadave

It might work. I can play true HD movies in H264 MP4 comprimation on my 2.7 GHz Powermac G5. Not bad for a single core :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
@Hieroglyph

MPlayer should play them without problem.

There is always something a coder could do. Maybe take up a bounty or two ;)

Go to MorphZone and ask where you can be of use. There will be something, I guarantee!

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »
Ah yes, the standard file system is SFS, not FFS. Sorry.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
@KimmoK

Odd. As far as I know USB 2.0 should be supported, as well as sound and keyboard. The only unreleased feature I've heard of on a "supported" hardware is Wifi and non native screen modes (which are now fixed). MorphOS Team is pretty strict about not releasing stuff where important features is missing.

@Hieroglyph

I've written about Crabaum on my blog :)

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
@KimmoK

I did not know that. Still, no so sound sounds weird (no pun intended).

[edit] Forgot a "no".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:10:48 PM by Yasu »

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
@hieroglyph

Yes, I even misspelled :p

Good question. Depends on what you want to do. But with Grunch you can look up a lot of useful programs to install.

I don't like bars so I use a custom menu via Crabum instead. Very practical when you use a pop up menu.

Can't help you with CubicIDE nor programming. I'm trying to learn Hollywood :p

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Doesn't matter if it's Chrysalis or Ambient panels: I prefer menus :) It's a habit from my MagicMenu using days.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »
I got an G5 @ 2.7 GHz and so far there is no problem with it. But yes, one day it will start to leak and then I have to get it fix (expensive) or throw it away.

The 2 GHz models are plentiful, fast and pretty cheap. If you can find a 2.3 GHz (the fastest without water cooling) it would be a very good buy.

I'm very happy with my G5, even though there are some slight compatibility issues. I think the raw power makes it a lot more joyful to use than my slower G4 Ibook and Powerbook.

Like Krashan said, it depends on what you want.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Everblue;774564
What kind of compatibility issues>?

Nothing major. Only some games that has been working less well than on a G4 machine.

Offline Yasu

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:08 PM »
The iMac isn't supported. There is a proof of concept out there but due to some inherent technical problems they never released it. MorphOS Team doesn't want to add hardware support for machines that are expected to give them headaches.

My personal recommendations would be either a 2.3 GHz G5 (it's not water cooled) or a 1.67 GHz G4 Powerbook. The first for power, expandabilities and coolness :) The other for good support, portability and the fact that it's the fastest G4 machine out there, it got plenty of VRAM (up to 128 GB) and can be connected to a VGA screen.

My non-recommendation would be a Emac and an Efika. You will get tired of those quickly (The Efika is a cool little machine, but totally underpowered).

A Mac Mini silent upgrade is nice but often quite expensive compared to a G5 or Powerbook. Only get one if you lack space. And don't get the non silent upgrades because the have only 32 MB VRAM. A 2.0 GHz G5 is a good comprimise if you can't find a 2.3 GHz one. A Powermac G4 is also good, but there you need to make sure you have the right hardware (same with G5 also though). Ibooks are a little on the weak side so there are mostly good for portability (I think they have better keyboards than the Powerbooks).

So look at the list at the bottom, go for one of the two recommendations and you won't be sorry ;)

You can also read my blog that is geared to newbies for more info: http://morphosuser.wordpress.com.

http://www.morphos.de/hardware
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:04:10 PM by Yasu »