Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS for x86?  (Read 14969 times)

Description:

Offline MIRKOSOFTTopic starter

• Show all replies
Amiga OS for x86?
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:53 AM »
Hi!

I'm here new.
I'm active on Commodore 8-bit scene, topmost in C128.
My experience with Amiga was in years 1995-1997 with OS1.3 and OS3.1, later only by emulation.

I have old laptop and want to add there any Amiga distribution for x86 system.
I have Q like newbie: Exist any distribution of AmigaOS from version 1.0 to 3.1 for x86 systems?
I think really this OS - not any replacement like AROS, AEROS, Icaros or other - really AmigaOS.
Maybe someone of you heard about OS/64 - this I installed successfully but I know that development is now paused.
I want to add to that laptop also AmigaOS - I have there yet: MS-DOS 7.10 with Windows 3.11, Commodore OS Vision 1.3, OSX 10.4 and OS/64.
If you're asking how can I have DOS and OSX on single drive, I can explain it how I did it.

Thank you for your support, suggestions, help and bringing me to the world of Amiga.
Miro

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga OS for x86?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
What I really want: Installable AmigaOS to hard drive - no any live version running from CD/DVD, best in Workbench 1.3 or 3.1 interface.
Icaros I know and it is really very different, but I was reading about and there it looks like installable - but in download section are only live CD/DVDs.

AmiKit is working on WinUAE - I won't to use emulation.

Exist any AmigaOS for x86 with Workbench like interface up to 3.1 or 3.9?

OS/64 is native Commodore 64 simulation, look here: http://os64.blogspot.com/

Miro

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
I know that 68k code is not possible to run on x86 CPU - but how is possible to run 68k code on PPC?
My knowledge about PPC is poor and I know only that MacOS and Amiga were using 68k family CPU, then Mac switched to PPC - but I don't know if is possible to run 68k code on PPC...

So, running 68k code needs virtualization/emulation also on Aros or other, but base of system I don't want to have emulated - I want to have normal system and for running 68k software that system needs virtualization/emulation.
Really don't want system guest on Windows or Linux... Aros looks like native system, of course I know that running 68k code on Aros needs virtualization/emulation.
I know that 68k CPU family is different to x86 CPU family.

My Q is: Is possible to customize Aros to have interface like old Workbench 1.3 or 3.1 or 3.9?

Miro

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:35:52 PM »
Ok, I try Icaros Desktop.
Maybe I'll find any old Workbench themes.

Miro

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
That's for me new.

I never knew that 68k family uses big-endian.
PowerPC is known that uses big-endian and it makes also native OSX not possible to run on x86 architecture, only its Intel versions.

So, new thing for me...

Thank you.
Miro