Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Motorola's MHz = Mega Hurts ?  (Read 3381 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

Re: Motorola's MHz = Mega Hurts ?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 22, 2002, 12:44:34 PM »
Hmm, that makes one wonder it it wasn't all planned to make Amiga go down.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2002, 01:22:26 PM »
ohh nnoo...
Conspiracy... so Motorola did way back then, start to plan the amiga downfall...
Lets hope not...
But ooh my, they did inhibited the MAC in reacing its full potential... what will this do to amiga...

The voices say NOOO....  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Bobsonsirjonny

• Show only replies by Bobsonsirjonny
    • http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2002, 01:42:50 PM »
I've just been thinking - so please correct me if I am wrong.... If Apple have PPC pretty much to themselves - and we wont get much of a looking....

If X86 chips are cheaper than PPC - and if X86 are just RISC chips that emulate some CISC instructions - is it possible to write Amiga OS so that it only accesses the X86 RISC instructions - and not the CISC ones? Would that provide cheaper, faster more efficient hardware? Of course come future OS's Hardware will become agnostic!!!!

Just a thought - I dont know much about that stuff.
The REAL BOBSON - accept no immitations!

8 Bloody Tickets!
http://amigadevbox.happybiscuit.com/

http://www.killingwithkindness.com/

Some of my drawings

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2002, 03:02:54 PM »
I've just been thinking - so please correct me if I am wrong.... If Apple have PPC pretty much to themselves - and we wont get much of a looking....

Which was one of the reasons givens for not going for a G4 processor in the AmigaOne: Apple hogs all the top-of-the-range chips.

OTOH, the A1 uses an IBM chip, not Motorola.

AT

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2002, 03:56:44 PM »
OTOH, the A1 uses an IBM chip, not Motorola.

Yes! Now we need IBM to lay their nuts on the table and start cranking up Mhz speed. :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2002, 04:02:50 PM »
So a 2556 Mhz Pentium proccessor ONLY does 3,644,544 Kkeys/sec , while THE LOWERED MHZ PPC AT 1600 Mhz , DOES 16,991,648 Kkeys/sec !! What i can say is that is is like 6 times faser then this stupid Puntium 4.

Nico, don't believe everything you read. you can probebly find some other article that says exactly the opposite... i don't think we can actually know for sure how fast this cpu is, but i don't think the G4 is 7.44 times faster then the P4 Mhz to Mhz.
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2002, 05:06:55 PM »
@bobsonsirjonny

Even if current x86 compatibles are using a reduced instruction set, it is still not a real RISC.

Sure, there has been a significant performance increase when switching to this technique ( just try to compare a 486 120 to a Pentium 120 ), but it is still not optimized for RISC operation. The old instructions are still there. Some of them are just emulated, and some of the are optimized, but as long as it is to be backward compatible it will be slower than PPC and other RISC CPU's. Try running a DivX movie on a Pentium 200 MMX - Impossible! On the other hand, a 206 MHz StrongARM does the job without problems.
Naahh... the 486 to Pentium step was a good idea, and considering the MHz race between AMD and Intel one can get rather decent performance out of it, but it won't las for ever...
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2002, 09:13:16 PM »

Even if current x86 compatibles are using a reduced instruction set, it is still not a real RISC.

Um, isn't that a paradox? RISC = Reduced Instruction Set Computing.

And incidently, AMD processors are FULL RISC processors with extra transitors to emulate x86 instructions. AMD did just release a chip without the x86 emulation.

Something tells me this is all part of the grand plan of Amiga Inc. I'm not exactly sure how, but it's a gut feeling.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Chathurawind

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2002, 11:18:56 AM »
Um, isn't that a paradox? RISC = Reduced Instruction Set Computing.

Yah, Yah, Yah!!! I talked before I thought... Stupid me!!!
*bangs my head into my desk* :-D  :-D  :-D

Didn't know that bout the athlons tho'.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2002, 11:19:59 AM »
Yikes! Forgot to log in!
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline ido

• Show only replies by ido
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2002, 12:13:14 PM »
And incidently, AMD processors are FULL RISC processors with extra transitors to emulate x86 instructions. AMD did just release a chip without the x86 emulation.

you mean the alchemy? that's not a PC class CPU, it's just for PDAs and stuff. i really hope they'll release their hammer CPU in a non-x86 version!
--\\"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.\\"