Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone  (Read 9064 times)

Description:

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
For most people, it doesn't really matter what OS their phone is running.  As long as it makes and receives phone calls and texts, they just don't care.  Sooner or later those people will be buying smartphones because feature phones are on the way out.
WP* will suit them just as well as iOS or Android.

Offline kedawa

• Show all replies
Re: 101 reasons to love Windows Phone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
I agree that many people, myself included, don't need or want smartphones, but when it comes to carrier-subsidized phones, feature phones are getting pushed out even at the very low end.  I'm going to be renewing my contract at the end of summer, and more than half of the phones available for talk&text(i.e. no data plan) are low-end smartphones.  The few feature phones that are still offered are old models and probably old stock.  There are no new feature phones being offered at all.
When given the choice between paying nothing for a $70 phone, or paying nothing for a $300 smartphone, most people will choose the latter, even if it's more tech than they need.

Quote from: slaapliedje;696596
Being a fan of a dying (dead?) platform like the Amiga, I went and bought another dying platform!  I absolutely love my Nokia N9 and the N900 before it.  I figure at this point I'm going to be using either of them until the day I die.

I am going to be installing Baldur's Gate (via GemRB) on my N900 right now.  Pretty sure you'll never be able to do that on a Windows phone (they ported it to Android and iOS though, if I recall correctly).  But then without a stylus or keyboard, I don't see it being too terribly pleasant to play.

Personally I think Windows Phone was bound to fail and that the whole Microsoft / Nokia deal was simply so Microsoft could weaken Nokia, buy them out, and have all their patents.  At that point all hell is going to break loose!

slaapliedje

Isn't there an Android port for one of the Nokia devices you mentioned?  I know that isn't what you bought it for, but it's nice to have that option just in case.  Dual booting might be an option.