Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The death of gaming consoles?  (Read 6961 times)

Description:

Offline djukon

• Show all replies
Re: The death of gaming consoles?
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
Kesa, you just tapped the tip of the iceberg.

The whole world is going through a major paradigmatic shift, it is not just consoles and computing platforms. Whether it is people who are left out of the system mainly due to the ever increasing speed of automation which they can't possibly keep up, or they are just conscience that an infinite growth paradigm is physically not possible on a finite resource planet.

Open source is one of the pillars indeed of what the new civilization is built upon, just look at where Open Source Ecology is going, for instance. We are gradually replacing the proprietary market that came up 200 years ago in with a more efficient localized productive capability, that will eventually be able to have a complete open source civilization technology tree. Just like the technical industrial revolution allowed for new social-economic paradigms to emerge beyond feudalism, the recent digital revolution (computing + inter-connectivity) is also allowing us to see the world differently.

The most difficult for most people I have encountered when dealing with this great transition subject is each one's ability to overcome cognitive dissonance. As practically everyone was educated in an industrial model and anything that introduces ground changing information, invalidates the education process, this leaves the ego very uncomfortable. I personally have had a hard time copping with this since 2011 when I started to investigate the myriad of concerned topics, and I'm still learning.

I won't sugar coat it, the death of the industrial civilization is what is really at stake here. The most practical way I have found to deal with all this is through the Transition Network movement (mostly developed in the UK).

On the Amiga/C64/retro side I'm looking into preserving the history for future generations and also be on the lookout to be able produce new efficient computing machines locally (using 3D printing concepts). The older technology (like the almost perfect 6502) didn't have so many layers of profit-driven decisions on top as today's industrial technology. We can look back to the old designs for some inspiration when designing the new technology tree which seems to me to be prosperity-driven.

If this is the first time the topic of the great transition comes up your alley, and you need some suggestions where to start, you can always go take a look at the Wall of Films! and pick what may captivate you more. There is no single movie that has "the whole picture", you'll have to make that yourself and discuss with other people as you go along.