Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: windows causes heart failure  (Read 2922 times)

Description:

Offline AmidufferTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
windows causes heart failure
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
All joking aside, it is annoying the hell out of me.

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and right from the start, the internet won't work and there's no audio! And this is from the same PC that I had installed Linux on which worked pretty much flawlessly right from the get go.

Shame Linux doesn't have a decent Pinnacle Studio equivalent.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: windows causes heart failure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »
Yeah Windows need everything spoon feeding to it before it can work. Once you get the basic drivers, such as sounf and video, it then has to do loads of updates and install stuff like DirectX. Last Windows install I did last 3 hours from initial format and setup to final set of major updates. And then another hour or so to get all the extra bollocks needed.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Or you could use a Windows install medium which already contains the updates. When it comes to XP it's even more fun when it doesn't have the service packs on disc already. Question is why you wouldn't be using a newer install disc...and don't have the specific drivers needed available...

It really isn't any different from using a x year old Ubuntu install disc and then waiting ages for it to update during and after install and finding out your specific hardware is obscure and/or plain driverless (I'm looking at you crappy HP Mini netbook >:|. )
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:51:48 PM by odin »

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
Quote from: odin;692913
Or you could use a Windows install medium which already contains the updates. When it comes to XP it's even more fun when it doesn't have the service packs on disc already. Question is why you wouldn't be using a newer install disc...and don't have the specific drivers needed available...

It really isn't any different from using a x year old Ubuntu install disc and then waiting ages for it to update during and after install and finding out your specific hardware is obscure and/or plain driverless (I'm looking at you crappy HP Mini netbook >:|. )
HP.... managed to make drivers of 300+ megabytes when 1-4 gb harddrives were common. And even today, they manage to make I5 computers crawl because of their useless pre-installed bloatware.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »
HP is evil...at work we are 'blessed' with 5 HP multifunctional printers. The embedded software, management software and driver software all suck so hard...and we're supposed to administer the damn things. There's a bug in the firmware for which their support guys have visited us 2 times already and the call's been open for what, 3 months? It's a joke...

Then again all printers suck, though these HPs suck that one bit harder.

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
Oh that stupid HP diagnostic tool. Not only do I have to contend with Norton reinstalling it's self everytime my laptop boots but that stupid diagnostic starts and i can't seems to force it to stop.

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
Using the latest install media and always doing clean installs on new name brand computers are no brainers.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Quote from: Amiduffer;692799
All joking aside, it is annoying the hell out of me.

I'm trying to install WinXP Pro, and right from the start, the internet won't work and there's no audio! And this is from the same PC that I had installed Linux on which worked pretty much flawlessly right from the get go.

Shame Linux doesn't have a decent Pinnacle Studio equivalent.

Well, its only 10+ years old, so...

Why would you move to XP which is at end of life from linux?

Offline AmidufferTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;693175
Well, its only 10+ years old, so...

Why would you move to XP which is at end of life from linux?

Mostly economics. I'm broke as a joke.

For the purposes of having a working archiving system for these old VHS tapes, I bought Pinnacle Studio a couple of years ago which only works on Windows. At minimum, it'll work with WinXP, and luckily there was a loose original copy here in the office. After much agrivation, I got it to work, and now I have sound after downloading the drivers from Realtek and the wireless works. If not for that reason alone, I wouldn't touch the damn thing with a 100 foot pole.

I did enjoy having WinUAE.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
It really isn't a fair to compare a ten year old Windows distribution with a modern Linux distribution.  None of today's hardware existed in 2002, why would you expect an ancient version of Windows to support it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »
I would more say its not fair to compare windows 98/ME.. Too me XP is still mainstream sure its getting to EOL but of course there will be the masses that still use it..

For video capture drivers I found that it really doesn't matter if its Linux or Windows, it can a pain to actually get drivers and to actually have them working flawlessly on either platform.. It all depends on how popular the card is and the platforms it supports.   Well for linux is more about supported chipsets..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:38:16 AM by darkage »

Offline a1200

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
Whilst not perfect, Windows 7 has a much better driver repository built in and the driver finder via the Internet seems much better.
Amiga A1200, 3.1 ROMs, Blizzard 1230 MKIV 128MB & FPU, 4GB DoM SSD, Workbench 3.1

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
Best to say XP is still mainstream among folks who are fans of a twenty year old OS....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.