Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DVD not a good solution  (Read 2278 times)

Description:

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: DVD not a good solution
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 23, 2004, 12:03:35 PM »

Dandy wrote:

Dan wrote:
Not to mention what old videoplayers in need of service does to them. FFWD STOP kachunk PLAY almost cut the tape in half.

If you run the engine of your car without oil it will get destroyed.
The same is for playing video tapes in a maschine that's in need of service.
Give the maschine the service it requires and play your videotape *AFTERWARDS* and it will be O.K....

Dan wrote:
Why don´t people just throw away old craplike that

Because this would be the most stupid thing they could do, IMO.

I meant throw it away and buy a new one! As for service thats not an economical alternative here in Sweden. It would cost you half the price off a new player in the "decent" class, just to have a repairman looking at it.
It´s a different thing for higher quality equipment.

Already forgotten the whole DRM/Longhorn/Copyright thing?

From the customers point of view the whole DRM/Longhorn/Copyright thingie just is kind of modern robber-knighthood!
 :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:

I think I mentioned it
There was 5,2GB MO before DVD, but I guess the moviecompanies wanted something with copy protection.

As for those laws don´t worry they are going to be as unenforceable as the law against making your own liquor.
As long as you don´t sell it you are pretty safe.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »

whabang wrote:

Eh? It's not illegal here in Sweden, and I'm pretty sure we're not alone about that.

Maybe that swedish law has not been harmonised *YET* with the european laws, but it will come for Sweden as well as it already came for Germany:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/consleg/pdf/2001/en_2001L0029_do_001.pdf (38-39)

http://www.netlaw.de/gesetze/urhg.htm  §53

whabang wrote:
A copy is a copy, regardless of the media used.

:-D
I agree - but tell this to the European Comission...
 :pissed:
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dan

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 01:12:33 AM »
I think the police have it´s hands full with the violent crimes!
What are you afraid off really?

Offline Dandy

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 07:56:12 AM »

Dan wrote:
I think the police have it´s hands full with the violent crimes!
What are you afraid off really?

I'm not so much concerned that I could be caught by the police - it's more a matter of priciple.

If you take into account that I was born under a communistic system in the former German "Democratic" Republic, you might understand that I'm *NOT* happy to see my shortly (Shortly? Oh Sh... - that's already 14 years ago!) achieved freedom beeing cut back step by step...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 09:30:37 AM »
Unfortunately you can't see it on the cover of a CD if it is copy-protected or not.

Nope, but you can read up and find out what record labels are shipping copy-protected CDs.  BMG is one, for example, since about 2002.

Offline Dandy

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
Nope, but you can read up and find out what record labels are shipping copy-protected CDs.  BMG is one, for example, since about 2002.

Well, the thing is that I have most of the music I'm interested in on venyl records (about 2.5 m of records).

On all these records is written that I'm allowed to make copies for private usage.

Additionally I have about 100 (old) music CD's with music from the 70's and 80's, which don't have any form of digital copy protection.

So I think I'm not really affected by this copyright thingie, as I hardly will buy newer, digitally copy-protected music CD's.

But - as stated above - I'm certainly *NOT* happy seeing my rights and my freedom being cut back step by step...

:pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 03:33:43 PM »
Just like half the crap MS put in their EULAs, most of what the record industry is doing is unchallenged in court.  I very much doubt I'll ever see anyone just having copies for their own use lose their case.

Until then, all my CDs have been ripped to mp3 format so I can listen to them on my computer, for my own use only.

I'll be avoiding companies like Sony, who like to produce players that can't read CD-Rs, amongst other things.

Offline Dan

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 09:18:27 PM »
Here in Sweden all labels put on a warning on the cd-case if "This cd might not be playable in all cd-players or PC CD-ROM"
Because otherwise a lot of people would come back and return it and ask for their money back.
There was somebody who could play his new Kent(a swedish band) cd in his carstereo with cdplayer with mp3-ability, that did just that. The record company took it all the way to the court where they lost the case in about 5 minutes.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 10:35:30 PM »
Dan wrote:
Here in Sweden all labels put on a warning on the cd-case if "This cd might not be playable in all cd-players or PC CD-ROM"
Because otherwise a lot of people would come back and return it and ask for their money back.
There was somebody who could play his new Kent(a swedish band) cd in his carstereo with cdplayer with mp3-ability, that did just that. The record company took it all the way to the court where they lost the case in about 5 minutes.

'They' being the record company, you mean?

Offline Dan

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 12:10:15 AM »
Yes

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 05:12:27 AM »
Hello
Sony, Philips, Panasonic, TDK and other major vendors had announced new Blue-Ray (blue laser based) BD-DVD with 25 GB data storage capacity. TDK had announced High Density BD-DVD with capacity of 100 GB and 200 GB.

With new high capacity Hard Disk (several Hundred GB), BD-DVD is one of the best backup options. I hope they don't make the same mistake as dual standard DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

200 GB BD-DVD

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2004, 10:21:47 AM »
If Philips back a technology, that's usually a good sign that it doesn't have DRM/copy-protection involved.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
AFAIK, there was a court case (in the UK?) about video recorders, some industry associations argued it would only be used for illegal copying of material, but it could also be used for recording sports/news events (which aren't copyright-protected), so it was allowed.

Offline Dandy

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2004, 02:30:38 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
AFAIK, there was a court case (in the UK?) about video recorders, some industry associations argued it would only be used for illegal copying of material, but it could also be used for recording sports/news events (which aren't copyright-protected), so it was allowed.

All I can say is what I already said above:

Dandy wrote:
Maybe that swedish [edit]or other European countries[/edit] law has not been harmonised *YET* with the european laws, but it will come for Sweden as well as it already came for Germany:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/en/consleg/pdf/2001/en_2001L0029_do_001.pdf (38-39)

http://www.netlaw.de/gesetze/urhg.htm  §53

:pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me