Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Career in the IT field?  (Read 1338 times)

Description:

Offline AMIGA-FANTopic starter

• Show only replies by AMIGA-FAN
    • http://none
Career in the IT field?
« on: June 18, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »
Hi everybody, I just came across the following forum and read some VERY INTERESTING things about IT field.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11181-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=189725&messageID=1950588

Would be nice to hear some further comments and opinions on that. As for myself, couldn't agree more than that.

I'm out, definitely.

Regards.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: Career in the IT field?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:38:44 AM »
@AMIGA-FAN

Who cares???....

I regret that fact that I spent 4 years studying my ass off to enter a career that is stressful, demands never-ending BORING study, and calls for ever-increasing sacrifices of personal time in return for a job that offers average pay and doubtful prospects for long-term employment!

Assuming this isn't just a troll ...

What does the guy expect to do as a job if not IT? Stacking shelves? ... Accounting? ....

I'm not really concerned that one guy doesn't want to be in IT.... Oh well ... another job for me! :)

He sounds like a recent grad...

As for his points.... none of them are really valid ... I know of people who are about 50 and haven't had eduaction for years and are still in IT ... employers prefer experience....

Offline Miked

• Show only replies by Miked
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 02:32:55 PM »
It seems that people think they will come out of college and start making $100k (US) or more.  The reality is that no matter what job one  starts with (in most cases), he/she will most likely have to put time and effort for a number of years to earn more.  

It also looks as if this guy thought the field of IT was going to be different than what he expected (unless I am inferring a bit too much by his statement)

Miked

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
Educastion for an IT job? I thought everyone in the IT world worked at a call centre like me! :lol:
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:49:16 PM »
True.

No matter what job you go for....

You Always  have to go through the sh1t to get to the shine.

And so people should.

It makes you appreciate you higher position when you attain it and you know what the newbies are going through.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »
I just got my first salary from my new programming position after a loooong time... 4 years to be precise! before that, it was 2002. 2003 was graduation year (i did my job placement before graduation) 2004 was unemployment year, 2005 was obligatory military service year (welcome to Greece!) and finaly 2006 is the G.I.S. application development year :-) GRASS G.I.S. ROCKSSSSS!  :bow:
The new Megadeth album rules!