Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comparative between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3 on Pegasos II  (Read 6148 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
OS4 is completely run over by MorphOS. A good testemony to the MorphOS developers, and a big congratulations is in place! :-)

MorphOS has more and better features.
MorphOS has better Amiga compatibility.
MorphOS has better performance.

Now, is there a way of comparing overall system stability in general usage?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

• Show all replies
Re: Comparative between AmigaOS 4.1 and MorphOS 2.3 on Pegasos II
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
Quote from: A1260;518876
my life is over, it is ruined...... aos4.1 lost and morphos win..... :(

Why?

Get a Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz with 64M graphics memory and wait for the MorphOS release for that one! This will be one heck of experience, the fastest Amiga experience ever! :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
Quote from: Jose;518892
@takemahomegra

I see no compatibility or feature comparison there it's mostly about peformance.

Indeed *this* test is about performance, the other things are known since before. Now, if we could find a way to compare the overall stability...

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Quote from: Delta;518894
Interesting to see someone taking the time to test both but considering OS4.1 is not optimized for this hardware

It isn't? Any link or so to back up such a serious claim? It surely hasn't been marketed and advertised as an "unoptimized" beta level OS to the paying customers, you know, rather the opposite. BTW, can I quote you on this on other forums?

And if your testimony would be true and correct, who is to blame? Surely not the MorphOS team. If Hyperion can't deliver a quality product that can give the competition a match, then it's *their* problem!

*This is* a fair comparison of what the paying customers of today get for their money. To bad if you don't like the results, but please don't make up lame excuses.

AFAIK, OS4 cost less, and I guess you get what you pay for...

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
Quote from: Jose;518902
@takemahomegrandma

The article states at the end that a G3 A1 performs better at some tests than the Peg2 (using AOS4), shouldn't that be enouph ?

I have not the slightest idea of what the text in the article say, since it for some strange reason is written in an none-English language, that only a fraction of the world can understand. But numbers are numbers anywhere!

That said I think it is a fair comparison if one takes into account what is actually compared

Yes indeed, the released (and sold) versions of OS 4.1 for Pegasos2, and MorphOS 2.3 for Pegasos2.

MorphOS wins.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
Quote from: Pete_Noir;518913
So, MorphOS wins! Looks like OS 5 (or whatever) may have some catching up to do :)

But just out of interest, is there a huge difference in performance between OS4 on Pegasos and OS4 on Sam? Has anyone tried both?

Of course! A *huge* difference! At least it should be! Have you even looked at the specs?

A Pegasos2 with a G4 (with both Altivec and L2 cache) @ 1000MHz *runs circles* around any embedded "G2" processor like the AMCC440/MPC5200b. Even the Peg2 G3 might win. The lack of L2 cache will be especially obvious when running older amiga applications. :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:48:37 AM »
Quote from: kolla;518918
That's not an answer to the question, though. :hammer:

No?

Please correct me? :-?

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:57:28 AM »
Quote from: hooligan;519042
I'd go as far as saying there indeed IS bad code. How else can one explain some of those multiple times worse figures.

Indeed. And code is written by the coders, and the resulting quality is depending on their education, experience and motivation (in other words: competence).

I would also guess that OS4 doesn't make as much use of the Altivec that MorphOS does. It would be kind of interesting to see this test done all over again, but with a Pegasos 2 *G3*. Then you should be able to spot the impact of Altivec, which I definitely think is there.