Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why can't windows 7 access network shares?  (Read 1914 times)

Description:

Offline hooligan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
Re: why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »
Quote from: DamageX;576856
I have a mini-ITX Pentium M computer running Windows 2000 on my LAN. I can access its harddisk over the network by typing this (followed by the password):

NET USE H: \\PENM\DDRIVE /USER:argh

It works on my other PCs running win2k, xp, 98, even 3.11 for heaven's sake! It does not work under Windows 7. Yay progress! Can anyone explain?

You will soon discover that lots of stuff which earlier worked better or was logical has turned out to be working worse or less logical.

Lets start with the taskbar.. my programs are mixed in no order while in XP I had quicklaunch on the left and running programs on the right. Lets continue with Show Desktop.. it has been on left among other quicklaunch-icons for years and years.. whose bright idea was to change it to lower right corner. As for networks.. you can not browse anymore at remote desktop connection window. While we're at it.. filetype associations... it used to be under Tools/Folder options.. I have no idea why it was moved to start-menu. Having a button on folder windows, maybe next to  "New folder" would have been much better place.

And the list goes on...

Some people say you just have to accept changes when OS's are upgraded.. I understand all that, but why change something that has proven to work and has already become a "standard" in Windows world.

Offline hooligan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
Re: why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;576887
Actually it was a rewrite of the OS Kernal that started in Vista.  Windows 7 is totally different from XP and below.  XP was very nice, but still running off of a OS structure that was  10+ yrs old.  Windows 7 is a built up from 3.1 type OS and as such will be different from the earlier versions.  Windows 7 is actually very nice, expecially in comparison to Vista.  The changes are harder for old timers like us who have used XP and below for so long, and used to the old interface.  Windows 7 also utalizes Hardware a lot better than XP or Vista and there are a lot more features within 7 that go well beyond just the basic users knowledge.  Don't get me wrong XP was prob one of MS best OSes and is still one of the most popular, but it is dated and 10 yrs old.  You can only ride on that architecture for so long before you have to start over again.

I agree fully, I am not _that_ disappointed in Win7 as my text maybe indicates.. some areas are way better than in XP, most which are under the hood like better hardware-support, win 7 is more efficient and more stable too. I find it amazing I was not given a chance to choose how I want my taskbar to work, or where I want to have my show desktop-icon.

Some things should, and must change.. but minor things like the ones I mentioned were a bit hard to swallow when I first started using Win7. Of course by now I know how things work but in the beginning it was pretty frustrating :)